• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Chris Froome Discussion Thread.

Page 367 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Is Froome over the hill?

• Yes.

Votes: 28 35.4%
  • No, the GC finished 40 minutes ago but Froomie is still climbing it

Votes: 45 57.0%
  • No he is totally winning the Vuelta

Votes: 18 22.8%

• Total voters
Re: Re:

Red Rick said:
silvergrenade said:
MatParker117 said:
rick james said:
Seen him saying that the TT his his big aim, he just wants to get there and stay out of trouble the best way he can

If he's on form that's where he should bury Chaves and Quintana, hell he's probably favourite to win that stage.

Absolutely flat TT 37 Kms. He can get upto 2 minutes on these guys.
Contador, Valverde will definitely fare better.
3rd week TT at the end of a double. I doubt Quintana will lose that much.

Yep very true, Quintana isn't a bad stage race TT'r. Unless of course his form is way off

Red Rick said:
silvergrenade said:
MatParker117 said:
rick james said:
Seen him saying that the TT his his big aim, he just wants to get there and stay out of trouble the best way he can

If he's on form that's where he should bury Chaves and Quintana, hell he's probably favourite to win that stage.

Absolutely flat TT 37 Kms. He can get upto 2 minutes on these guys.
Contador, Valverde will definitely fare better.
3rd week TT at the end of a double. I doubt Quintana will lose that much.
Probably, Quintana only lost 1:30 in the Vuelta TT last year, and that was against a fresh Dumoulin.

ray j willings said:
AStiller said:
I am looking forward to Froome doing the Vuelta. It demonstrates his ambition to bekomme one of the great GT racers and not "only" a multiple Tour winner. Even though my money is on Quintana for the win, I would love to see Froome taking the double "en passant" - whereas some other dude has talked about a double for over a year, won his GT against a rather weak field and failed to deliver at the Tour.

but that other dude gave Froome a beating all last year....
That other dude beat Astana virtually single handed. Froome would have lost minutes in the third week of the giro against Astana riding so aggressive ,Froome hung on for his life in the 3rd week against Movie. If that was the Astana Giro team ,Froome could have kissed his tour win goodbye.
That other dude went the 3rd week of the tour putting in attacks. He is a racer unlike Froome. [ not scared to lose]
That other dude beat Quintana in a small stage race just before the tour.
That other dude made quite clear his plans form the start of the season.
Froome did not race the Giro why not? where's his ambition? Cluck cluck. :D

You know whats coming next year...Bertie just opting to win the tour. Froome will get another beating like he did all through 2014.....

just to remind you https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YScKkvHIxwE

enjoy :D

Just found this interesting post...

TMP402 said:
ray j willings said:
AStiller said:
I am looking forward to Froome doing the Vuelta. It demonstrates his ambition to bekomme one of the great GT racers and not "only" a multiple Tour winner. Even though my money is on Quintana for the win, I would love to see Froome taking the double "en passant" - whereas some other dude has talked about a double for over a year, won his GT against a rather weak field and failed to deliver at the Tour.

That other dude beat Astana virtually single handed. Froome would have lost minutes in the third week of the giro against Astana riding so aggressive ,Froome hung on for his life in the 3rd week against Movie. If that was the Astana Giro team ,Froome could have kissed his tour win goodbye.
That other dude went the 3rd week of the tour putting in attacks. He is a racer unlike Froome. [ not scared to lose]

You know whats coming next year...Bertie just opting to win the tour. Froome will get another beating like he did all through 2014.....

Calling a 9 time GT winner and only double GT in a year winner since 1998 the other guy is utterly ridiculous. Glad you brought it up

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
Trek is a relatively small budget team as currently constructed. Unless something large changes for their strategy, Contador will have a lower level of support next year than he enjoyed this year with Tinkoff. He will also have to answer the question of who will be team leader, given Mollema's contract. Contador's decline as a GT rider plus a likely lower level of support from his next team makes it dicey if he were to target the 2017 Tour.

TMP402 said:
ray j willings said:
AStiller said:

"cluck cluck" is the best think Ray has ever written on this board.
I hope he watched the Luchon downhill and the attack with Sagan

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site

pastronef said:
TMP402 said:
ray j willings said:
AStiller said:

"cluck cluck" is the best think Ray has ever written on this board.
I hope he watched the Luchon downhill and the attack with Sagan

Contador crashed out, Froome had it easy. He beat Bardet, that's someone Contador or Nibali can beat easily as well when they're in top shape.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site

PremierAndrew said:
El Pistolero said:
PremierAndrew said:
Nah, Bardet is at a similar level to Kruijswijk, and wouldnt crash out with a 3 minute lead

Take a look at the 2014 Tour de France.

My bad, it's not like a 23 year old would have improved in the last two years

He hasn't. Outside of the one stage where he managed to get away on a descent (because Froome crashed) he did nothing he hadn't done before in 2014. Nibali even beat him at Oman this year.

Bardet is still on the same level he was since 2014, barely winning races.

El Pistolero said:
PremierAndrew said:
El Pistolero said:
PremierAndrew said:
Nah, Bardet is at a similar level to Kruijswijk, and wouldnt crash out with a 3 minute lead

He hasn't. Outside of the one stage where he managed to get away on a descent (because Froome crashed) he did nothing he hadn't done before in 2014. Nibali even beat him at Oman this year.

You amaze me every time

There is absolutely no denying that Bardet is slightly improving every year. Definitely a better rider now compared to 2014.

Valv.Piti said:
El Pistolero said:
PremierAndrew said:
El Pistolero said:
PremierAndrew said:

You amaze me every time

There is absolutely no denying that Bardet is slightly improving every year. Definitely a better rider now compared to 2014.

There's no need to reply to a post like that ;)

I think he got carried away a bit today.
When the trio separated he tried to drop Contador for good seeing him get passed by Quintana, but just blew himself up in the process.
I believe he's been anxious to fully capitalise on the effort he's making at the moment and pushed himself way too deep in the red. It affected him so hard that he couldn't recover even to stay in front of Contador.

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
I thought he was a bit over confident with his feeling. He said he felt strong and anxious to see everyone's on the climb. He definitely over confident and probably determined to drop Contador. Along the process he blew himself up. Typically, he was very calculated with his effort. My guess, since he has been dominating the TDF and he knows, every time he launches his stinging attack, no one can hold his wheel.So he might have counting on that routine... Just to see Quintana handed back to him. Then Contador passed him... or he was just rusty and had a bad day..

Re:

Jelantik said:
I thought he was a bit over confident with his feeling. He said he felt strong and anxious to see everyone's on the climb. He definitely over confident and probably determined to drop Contador. Along the process he blew himself up. Typically, he was very calculated with his effort. My guess, since he has been dominating the TDF and he knows, every time he launches his stinging attack, no one can hold his wheel.So he might have counting on that routine... Just to see Quintana handed back to him. Then Contador passed him... or he was just rusty and had a bad day..
I think he just rushed into offensive.
Bit off more than he could chew

Doesn't bode well for Froome that today. Quintana in very good form, Contador showing himself stronger on the climb while injured, and Froome cracking big time in last km. If he can, he needs to just stay with the big boys on the climbs as much as he can, and try to stay within a minute or so by the TT. I can't see how he doesn't fade more though, I can see him finishing a distant third.

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
"It was a tough climb, and Nairo showed he was in good condition, so chapeau to him," Froome said at the finish "Alberto did great too, particularly after yesterday's crash, that shows he's a fighter."

"As for myself - I'm surviving."

No hysterics, no excuses, refreshing.

"It was a tough climb, and Nairo showed he was in good condition, so chapeau to him," Froome said at the finish "Alberto did great too, particularly after yesterday's crash, that shows he's a fighter."
"As for myself - I'm surviving."
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/froome-battles-through-vuelta-a-espanas-tough-mountain-finish/

Maybe too aggressive for his own good but the spectacle is guaranteed.It's not the first time when he attacks despite not being in good shape so no surprise here.Let's see what he can do on Lagos de Covandonga.

TRENDING THREADS