• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Chris Froome Discussion Thread.

Page 379 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Is Froome over the hill?

• Yes.

Votes: 26 35.1%
  • No, the GC finished 40 minutes ago but Froomie is still climbing it

Votes: 42 56.8%
  • No he is totally winning the Vuelta

Votes: 17 23.0%

• Total voters
Re:

Amnes2015 said:
already 2 days in a row when Sky **** up very bad , first chasing all day and next day this disaster even more ridiculous than Katusha's Fuente de

i can certainly say that their DS's are not up to the job.

Not to speak about Cioni being DS at the Giro every time .... good results for Sky at the Giro lol

P.S. is also true that Froome failed to hug Quintana's wheel from start. probably little arrogance and he paid the big price. But also their team members placement remembers stage 4 in 2014 TdF when Orica guy took out isolated Froome at few km's from start.

Must have something to do with overall team quality , this Vuelat team is for a good reason the C-team

It was a Lotto Jumbo guy (Belkin in those days I think) who took Froome out but I don't think we ever found out who it was. Just a stupid crash that happens at the start of stages quite frequently unfortunately.

It's possible that Cioni deserves some blame, we don't know what was said in the team briefing, but the riders have to take the most responsibility. It's not as if they're a particularly inexperienced team.

Re: Re:

Pricey_sky said:
Amnes2015 said:
But also their team members placement remembers stage 4 in 2014 TdF when Orica guy took out isolated Froome at few km's from start.

Pretty sure Froome had 3/4 riders around him when he went down, although it was a mistake not having a team mate in front of him to take the fall in his place.

Hadn't the break already gone by the time the crash happened though? As I remember it the peloton was going very slowly and it was just a stupid crash. It is very annoying that three chances to win a grand tour have now ended for Froome basically in the first few km's of a stage. Today, last year on stage 11 and the 2014 Tour. Froome should really have at least another 2 grand tour wins by this point when you include the 2011 Vuelta and 2012 Tour when he was the strongest rider. Still, the Tour is by far the most important and I think he can win five to match the greats.

Mar 13, 2015
Visit site

JRanton said:
Miburo said:
Is Bruyneel a contador fanboy too mate?

Don't go personal, so weak

He's not a fan of Astana though is he?

As for going personal, when someone makes such a stupid comment, stating that Sky paid Astana for their efforts today, then it's warranted.

That's not a new thing in the peloton, you know. That happened quite often in the past. You should really ask yourself who's being stupid here!

JRanton said:
Pricey_sky said:
Amnes2015 said:
But also their team members placement remembers stage 4 in 2014 TdF when Orica guy took out isolated Froome at few km's from start.

Pretty sure Froome had 3/4 riders around him when he went down, although it was a mistake not having a team mate in front of him to take the fall in his place.

Hadn't the break already gone by the time the crash happened though? As I remember it the peloton was going very slowly and it was just a stupid crash. It is very annoying that three chances to win a grand tour have now ended for Froome basically in the first few km's of a stage. Today, last year on stage 11 and the 2014 Tour. Froome should really have at least another 2 grand tour wins by this point when you include the 2011 Vuelta and 2012 Tour when he was the strongest rider. Still, the Tour is by far the most important and I think he can win five to match the greats.

Yes I think so, I was just replying to the point that Froome was isolated in 2014, when in fact he did have team mates around him.

2011 was probably his best chance of a Vuelta win, but sky backed the wrong horse in Wiggins.

Today was a very bad day, but he still has a great shot at 2nd, which added to his Tour win and Olympic medal is a great season. Not many have finished 1st-2nd in back to back GT's.

It could be worse, just see how much bad luck Contador has had this 2nd half of the season.

Re:

DNP-Old said:
I think it was really stupid of him to let Lopez and Puccio ride immediately. Had he been smarter, he would've let the 3rd group come back and get his entire team back for 100+ kilometers. Instead, he was isolated really quick. Powermeter =/= brain.

No need for the powermeter nonsense but I agree that was the second mistake that was made after not being on Quintana's wheel in the first place.

JRanton said:
DNP-Old said:
I think it was really stupid of him to let Lopez and Puccio ride immediately. Had he been smarter, he would've let the 3rd group come back and get his entire team back for 100+ kilometers. Instead, he was isolated really quick. Powermeter =/= brain.

No need for the powermeter nonsense but I agree that was the second mistake that was made after not being on Quintana's wheel in the first place.
You can call it nonsense, but it is a statement of fact. Powermeters don't teach you nor give they the information to the finer things in cycling. He straight panicked, when there was no reason to. Not yet at least. He really did lose to himself today.

According to Neil Stephens (Orica DS) there was a crash on the first descent which is why Chaves wasn't in the Contador and Quintana group. I guess Froome was also caught up behind it because watching the highlights it certainly seemed as if he was in touch with the front group at the top of that first small climb.

JRanton said:
According to Neil Stephens (Orica DS) there was a crash on the first descent which is why Chaves wasn't in the Contador and Quintana group. I guess Froome was also caught up behind it because watching the highlights it certainly seemed as if he was in touch with the front group at the top of that first small climb.

Confirmed by Cioni:

He said: "It wasn't the best day for us. Chris lost time to Quintana, Contador and Chaves but gained time on Simon Yates. For sure it was a day where Movistar and Tinkoff raced really aggressive and they did a really good job putting their leaders on the front. We were caught on the back foot and it was too bad that Chris was separated by an early crash from Quintana and Contador. If he'd have been with them and not in the chasing group then it would have probably made things different.''

DNP-Old said:
JRanton said:
DNP-Old said:

You can call it nonsense, but it is a statement of fact. Powermeters don't teach you nor give they the information to the finer things in cycling. He straight panicked, when there was no reason to. Not yet at least. He really did lose to himself today.

It's not a statement of fact. Froome rode the Tour tactically very well. I wasn't previously aware of the crash on that first descent which was ultimately the most decisive moment of the day. Ultimately only 2 of the top 10 on GC made that front split and it was thanks to the crash. We can't pretend that it would have been easy to have brought back that front group even if he had waited for the rest of his team. The best they could probably have managed would be to control the gap and then hope that fresher riders from other teams took over the chase in the last 40km or so. That would probably have happened but I can certainly understand why they tried to close that group down as quickly as possible. Arguably Orica made the bigger error by not contributing to the chase immediately with Sky, instead they tried and failed to ride away from him.

JRanton said:
JRanton said:

Confirmed by Cioni:

He said: "It wasn't the best day for us. Chris lost time to Quintana, Contador and Chaves but gained time on Simon Yates. For sure it was a day where Movistar and Tinkoff raced really aggressive and they did a really good job putting their leaders on the front. We were caught on the back foot and it was too bad that Chris was separated by an early crash from Quintana and Contador. If he'd have been with them and not in the chasing group then it would have probably made things different.''

Can't be true. Can't see Froome not crying about it in the post-race interviews if this was true

PremierAndrew said:
JRanton said:
JRanton said:

Confirmed by Cioni:

Can't be true. Can't see Froome not crying about it in the post-race interviews if this was true

A certain Spaniard would have but Froome is a bit more classy than that.

JRanton said:
PremierAndrew said:
JRanton said:
JRanton said:

Confirmed by Cioni:

Well, re-watched it, and Froome actually caught the Quintana/Contador group at one point (but Contador and Quintana were further up the group). Something must have happened to break it up again, and a crash could be that something

Re:

Jagartrott said:
I don't like him, and today only reinforced that.
Was extremely lucky some team managers wanted to defend an 8th place or whatever.

wwabbit said:
This will be the 3rd time he fails to win the Vuelta through no fault of his own despite being the strongest or one of the strongests.
Seriously? Erm...

I don't know how you can say he was lucky today. Only 2 of the top 10 on GC made the front group after a crash caused the split on a descent. Froome was the unlucky one. Normally 99 times out of a 100 in such a scenario the race comes back together.

PremierAndrew said:
JRanton said:
PremierAndrew said:
JRanton said:
JRanton said:

Confirmed by Cioni:

Well, re-watched it, and Froome actually caught the Quintana/Contador group at one point (but Contador and Quintana were further up the group). Something must have happened to break it up again, and a crash could be that something

It was definitely the crash. Confirmed by both Orica and Sky.

Mar 13, 2015
Visit site
JRanton said:
PremierAndrew said:
JRanton said:
JRanton said:

Confirmed by Cioni:

Yeah, real class on a bike! :lol: He worked for circa 1.5 km's in a stage when his main rival went to breakaway from km 1

PremierAndrew said:
JRanton said:
PremierAndrew said:
JRanton said:
JRanton said:

Confirmed by Cioni:

So he was at the back originally from the crash or after he bridged up to the back of the group there was a crash? If the latter why was he so far back originally?

When the gap was 15 seconds, Contador especially and even Quintana were bursting a gut taking turns at the front to build the gap. Froome was sitting seventh wheel behind Valverde and another Movistar (Erviti?) freewheeling, knowing full well that there wasn't nearly enough pace being set by his doms at the front to get him closer. And so he sat. And sat. And sat.

Sorry, guys, the crash wasn't the reason he got left behind. Spending his time on the radio calling Amazon to order some new domestiques while he lolly-gagged is why he got left behind. But maybe all that time on the radio wasn't all for nought, as he did manage to get some help from Team Skyzakhstan. Otherwise he would have lost 4mins.+

Re:

TeflonDub said:
When the gap was 15 seconds, Contador especially and even Quintana were bursting a gut taking turns at the front to build the gap. Froome was sitting seventh wheel behind Valverde and another Movistar (Erviti?) freewheeling, knowing full well that there wasn't nearly enough pace being set by his doms at the front to get him closer. And so he sat. And sat. And sat.

Sorry, guys, the crash wasn't the reason he got left behind. Spending his time on the radio calling Amazon to order some new domestiques while he lolly-gagged is why he got left behind. But maybe all that time on the radio wasn't all for nought, as he did manage to get some help from Team Skyzakhstan. Otherwise he would have lost 4mins.+

Yawn. No way could Froome have bridged that gap, especially after he'd just made a big effort on the climb. I didn't see Quintana taking any pulls at that point in the race.

The crash obviously was a huge reason as to why he got left behind. Without it, he'd have been fine.

Apr 15, 2016
Visit site
Re:

dusty red roads said:
And, according to Valverde, it was Valverde who let go of the wheel in front of him and let the break go away without him and everyone behind him.

which sounds a lot more realistic than blaming a mystery crash considering the gap opened very gradually

TRENDING THREADS