• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Chris Froome Discussion Thread.

Page 401 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Is Froome over the hill?

• Yes.

Votes: 26 35.1%
  • No, the GC finished 40 minutes ago but Froomie is still climbing it

Votes: 42 56.8%
  • No he is totally winning the Vuelta

Votes: 17 23.0%

• Total voters
Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
Re:

argyllflyer said:
Maybe reading too much into it but with so many GC riders heading for the Giro, could he see a benefit to riding himself into form later than usual in order to hold more of it for the Vuelta?

he definitely wants to do the double, I think thats the clear aim this season seeing his schedule, he didnt race any race that he was in good condition whatsoever

Re: Re:

Gloin22 said:
argyllflyer said:
Maybe reading too much into it but with so many GC riders heading for the Giro, could he see a benefit to riding himself into form later than usual in order to hold more of it for the Vuelta?

he definitely wants to do the double, I think thats the clear aim this season seeing his schedule, he didnt race any race that he was in good condition whatsoever
He was in very good condition in Catalunya, better than probably everyone expected. In Romandie its the complete opposite

Froome: "Of course I would have liked to have been up there on the queen stage, but the truth is I got to the final climb and just didn’t have it enough,” Froome told the media after his effort against the climb.

Losing to Ritchie would hurt him more than anybody else winning the race. Let's hope he gets on with the job now. Massive improvements required. This is the his worst Romandie performance being the leader.

Re:

LaFlorecita said:
Very underwhelming this week, but I'm sure he'll be in great form when it matters. As has been said, he is probably very serious about the Tour-Vuelta double and frankly if he doesn't crash out, he has a great chance.

Agreed. Last year he knocked off his early season training in order to stay in form for the Tour, Olympics and Vuelta and was still in pretty good shape by September. I expect the same again this season.

Not sure about the Tour this year; and he'll face some combination of Contador, Chavez, Aru, and Yates so the Vuelta will be a challenge as well.

Still the favorite in both races but I think he'll win one, perhaps the Vuelta.

He'll have to do something special to beat Richie this year, if Richie can maintain his form in the Tour.

Re:

DanielSong39 said:
Not sure about the Tour this year; and he'll face some combination of Contador, Chavez, Aru, and Yates so the Vuelta will be a challenge as well.

Still the favorite in both races but I think he'll win one, perhaps the Vuelta.

He'll have to do something special to beat Richie this year, if Richie can maintain his form in the Tour.

Reverse that. Porte will have to do something special to beat Froome.

Re:

silvergrenade said:
Froome: "Of course I would have liked to have been up there on the queen stage, but the truth is I got to the final climb and just didn’t have it enough,” Froome told the media after his effort against the climb.

Losing to Ritchie would hurt him more than anybody else winning the race. Let's hope he gets on with the job now. Massive improvements required. This is the his worst Romandie performance being the leader.
I really doubt that.

Porte in a week long race is a monster to deal with we all know that

Re:

silvergrenade said:

I wonder if Froome was playing a psychological game. I imagine he could have stayed in the front group a lot longer on the last climb than he actually did, even though he was probably below par. So perhaps he dropped off the back so early to make it really clear to Porte that 'you're not beating me mano a mano here; I'm just nowhere near my peak yet'.

The way it played out I think leaves Porte none the wiser as to where he is at against peak Froome. He didn't really get any psychological boost from dropping Froome, because half the field did the same.

Re:

del1962 said:

Probably didn't do a hell of a lot of good for his back issues. Is this going to be the year Froome is the one that Lady Luck doesn't smile upon ? Contador, Porte and others seem to have had more than their share of unfortunate incidents over the past few seasons. Impatient driver is a nice way of putting it. I can think of many more suitable terms..............

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Considering how destroyed that bike is it's pretty lucky he isn't hurt. As someone from the UK I thought they were supposed be pretty tolerant of cyclists in France & Italy ...

froomecrash_670.jpg

That's a piece of good luck! Hope he's ok, mentally that must be a real shock to the system.

Re:

silvergrenade said:
Thank God he's okay.
This is happening far too often to cyclists.

People who consider themselves as good people have no issues with cyclists actually dying. If you read the comments on some of the tragic news you can see that for yourself. So obviously nothing will change for the better if other people wish to kill us.

TRENDING THREADS