• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Chris Froome Discussion Thread.

Page 440 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Is Froome over the hill?

• Yes.

Votes: 26 34.7%
  • No, the GC finished 40 minutes ago but Froomie is still climbing it

Votes: 42 56.0%
  • No he is totally winning the Vuelta

Votes: 18 24.0%

• Total voters
Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
Super Tour by Froome, will be a 5th victory soon. Tour of Spain win overdue !, shouldn't have to wait too long for that !. Hopefully he will decide to win the Giro one year.

Re: Re:

TomLPC said:
arvc40 said:
Any guesses which stage Froome will need to get out the saddle on a climb in Spain.
Angliru, stage 19 or something, that 20% kilometre towards the end, that's the first time
Xorret del Cati is also a possibility.

This might be his best shot at winning the Vuelta since that one Cobo won. Unsure about Nibali and the rest aren't good enough to match Froome, especially not with that flat TT.

deValtos said:
bigcog said:
Interested to see what the team will look like next season, they are losing Landa, Nieve, Viviani, who else ? The first two won't be that easily replaced, Nieve has been a first class climbing dom for years.

8 man GT teams means they don't need to replace everyone necessarily, though that is the same with every team. It will be interesting to see if they look to pick someone up or rely on their current crew.

They still have Benat who I'm hoping gets better, before he was ill he was highly impressive.

Rumour is Castro.

jsem94 said:
Red Rick said:
If Chaves gets his **** together he could put up a fight.
Wouldn't get my hopes up. They will have a strong team though if they're all in shape, but the flat TT kms will allow Froome to gain minutes.

Went on the Vuelta website to see how long the ITT(s) were. My eyes nearly popped out of my head when I read this:

13.8 km individual time trial
42 km team time trial

Thankfully they got them the wrong way around.

Good win for Froome in the circumstances but he has given riders more hope I think with this performance. He was much better last year and better again the year before. I think if Nibali, Valverde and Dumoulin show up and Porte can regain his good form, Landa on another team, Quintana without the Giro, Aru without the interrupted preparation,it makes for a good race and hopefully the route will be a decent one. On paper I don't see Bardet making the podium next year and it remains to be seen with Uran whether this is a one off because of race circumstances and the form of others. I thought Uran's previous podiums were more impressive. But his second TT was also good which is a good sign. Hitting the barriers didn't help.

Re:

silvergrenade said:
Cool Pic:

DFWZIstXYAA5xRz.jpg:large

Looks like neutral service are expanding. Wish he'd had a puncture....

Riding into that stadium wouldn't have looked any funnier than that bike he rode on Vonteoux :D

And he still would have won the Tour :p

Re:

Red Rick said:
If Chaves gets his **** together he could put up a fight.
Dont think so...
He's not shown himself as a climber better than Froome.
He'll lose approx 3 minutes in the TT+TTT combined.
He needs to make up minutes on Froome just in the mountains....And the team that Chris will have, cant see that happening. But then, you never know. Stranger things have happened. :D

So what happened to Froome on that day in the Pyrenees?

“I think if I’m honest with myself now I can say I probably didn’t get my fuelling quite right on that stage,” Froome said today. “I think I definitely went into the red that day and didn’t have enough fuel in the tank. Simple as that.”

So, a 3 time TDF gets his nutrition wrong....Go wonder.

Re:

silvergrenade said:

“I think if I’m honest with myself now I can say I probably didn’t get my fuelling quite right on that stage,” Froome said today. “I think I definitely went into the red that day and didn’t have enough fuel in the tank. Simple as that.”

It's happened before so it wouldn't surprise me if he did bonk. Mechanical aside he's hardly been under any pressure this uphill Tour despite not being his strongest.

Saying that, if he does go and win the Vuelta it's all been worth it. I doubt he'd do the same next year though, he has to go all in to win a fifth as he won't get it so easy next time, if he's too cooked to ride the Vuelta next season so be it.

I actually think Bardet was the strongest climber albeit by a very small margin. Him outsprinting Froome on the Izoard despite really being less explosive is a bit telling as to who left the most on the road.

Strongest single climbing performance goes to Aru on PDBF no doubt.

Re:

silvergrenade said:

Its a little harder than most people think. Pace of the race, feed zones, timing, stomach, etc. and do that for three weeks (which compounds the stomach part especially).

TRENDING THREADS