• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Chris Froome Discussion Thread.

Page 438 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Is Froome over the hill?

• Yes.

Votes: 28 35.0%
  • No, the GC finished 40 minutes ago but Froomie is still climbing it

Votes: 46 57.5%
  • No he is totally winning the Vuelta

Votes: 18 22.5%

• Total voters
Re: Re:

LaFlorecita said:
deValtos said:
LaFlorecita said:
TMP402 said:
Dumoulin not going to the Vuelta...
Froome only has to turn up now to do the double. Don't see who could even remotely challenge him. Unfortunately.

If only it were so simple. :)

You don't just turn up to a 2nd GT in a row with a few weeks recovery only and pick up a free win.
Who is going to beat him? No one is fresh at this point. Nibali is the only possible rival I see and he hasn't exactly been very impressive this year.

Never mind his rivals, if he pulls the double it would be great achievement, best since Pantani...

Re:

staubsauger said:
Cost his super-domestique a well deserved podium spot with a fully pointless attack. Sad character!

Yes it did with hindsight, however did anyone actually believe Landa had a shot of a podium today unless a rider behind him on the road had misfortune?

His character is that of a winner, you aren't always going to like it.

Brullnux said:
SeriousSam said:
Arguably surpassed Contador now in results, will certainly do so if he goes on to win the Vuelta

But he's never been weaker in terms of climbing
Official results or on the road?

Who cares about official results? Ulle is still a Tour winner according to these sacred official results but they don't let him to just walk around. Just top tier hypocrisy there.

Great ride. Simply the best GT-rider around. Would have been interesting to see how the two best stage racers in 2017 would have matched up with Froome - Im still convinced that Valverde, with the route and Froome's shape, would have put up a better fight than Urán, Bardet, Aru etc.

I can make quite a list of riders who would've put up a better fight if they don't crash.

Valverde
Contador
Porte
Quintana without Giro
Dumoulin without Giro
Landa on another team. (never mind on no Giro)
Geraint Thomas on another team

And I think none of those are headed to the Vuelta. We'll see what Nibali can do I guess.

Jun 26, 2017
Visit site
The fourth wasn't that close afterall. Next la Vuelta.

161dyjt.png

Re:

Red Rick said:
Given how Froome has climbed, I don't think it's a given he's beating the likes of Nibali convincingly. I take it Zakarin will ride as well?

Also, if Froome genuinely has less form, then his recovery will be worse.

I think Froome should give the Vuelta a miss altogether. The odds are against him improving and others will certainly test him in this form. Too bad that Valverde and Porte will be out for longer as that would have made the Vuelta even more interesting.

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site

movingtarget said:
Red Rick said:
Given how Froome has climbed, I don't think it's a given he's beating the likes of Nibali convincingly. I take it Zakarin will ride as well?

I think Froome should give the Vuelta a miss altogether. The odds are against him improving and others will certainly test him in this form. Too bad that Valverde and Porte will be out for longer as that would have made the Vuelta even more interesting.

No chance, he has unfinished business there. We shall see what his form is but even if it's not great he will be up for the fight anyways and give it a good go. I wouldn't waste this chance, he probably won't have many top years left now.

movingtarget said:
Red Rick said:

Portal mentioned it in an interview after the TT today, so I think he is going.

deValtos said:
movingtarget said:
Red Rick said:

No chance, he has unfinished business there. We shall see what his form is but even if it's not great he will be up for the fight anyways and give it a good go. I wouldn't waste this chance, he probably won't have many top years left now.

Yeah well Froome has always said that he likes to ride the Vuelta and it probably goes back to 2011 when he finished second and he first showed what he could do in a grand tour. He will know pretty early in the race whether he has the legs or not. He went close to doing the double last year but finished the Tour in better condition also.

Re:

Red Rick said:
I can make quite a list of riders who would've put up a better fight if they don't crash.

Valverde
Contador
Porte
Quintana without Giro
Dumoulin without Giro
Landa on another team. (never mind on no Giro)
Geraint Thomas on another team

And I think none of those are headed to the Vuelta. We'll see what Nibali can do I guess.
So we are clinging on to the crashes affected Contador greatly? I simply don't buy that.