• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Chris Froome Discussion Thread.

Page 437 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Is Froome over the hill?

• Yes.

Votes: 28 35.0%
  • No, the GC finished 40 minutes ago but Froomie is still climbing it

Votes: 46 57.5%
  • No he is totally winning the Vuelta

Votes: 18 22.5%

• Total voters
Jun 26, 2017
Visit site
Re:

DNP-Old said:
Going through his results, I see Froome finished 17th in Chrono des Nations just five years ago. 6:36 behind a certain Tony Martin. Pretty odd. Porte even managed to do worse at 8:00 minutes behind.

In 2012 he would have win Tour if he was allowed to and came third in the olympics ITT losing only some 20 secs to Martin...

dacooley said:
porte would've won this race given the level of competition as it stands out. so would valverde. dimoulin and quintana in their 2017 giro fit would've demolished this field as well. I have a feeling all the 2015 grand tours winners could've comfortably taken this tour. in short froome is really incredibly lucky to have a chance to grab fourth tour win :eek:
I'm go to start a campaign, all of Froome tour wins should have a big black mark with the words FROOME WAS LUCKY written on it ;)

dacooley said:
porte would've won this race given the level of competition as it stands out. so would valverde. dimoulin and quintana in their 2017 giro fit would've demolished this field as well. I have a feeling all the 2015 grand tours winners could've comfortably taken this tour. in short froome is really incredibly lucky to have a chance to grab fourth tour win :eek:

I don't see it. While Valverde has had a phenomenal season, I don't think that he would've been able to hang on every mountain pass when the pace picked up. He would've picked up a few bonus seconds, out sprinting his rivals but that would've been counter balanced by his losses when he was dropped by Froome, Bardet, Uran, Landa and occasionally Aru. The speculation about Porte persists but the fact remains that he has yet to show that he can make it to the end of a grand tour in contention. He finds a way to muck it up via crashing and injury or simply one or two bad days that ruin his chances. Plus the entire constitution of the Tour would be different with the rider's you mentioned in different phases of elite form. Froome out of fear of losing time in the itt to Dumoulin would've raced more aggressively, forcing everyone else's strategies and outcomes to be altered.

rick james said:
dacooley said:
I'm go to start a campaign, all of Froome tour wins should have a big black mark with the words FROOME WAS LUCKY written on it ;)
Yeah.
2013: Won because Contador wasnt in top form. Movistar hedged their bets on the wrong guy. Cadel was declining.
2015: Won because Contador wasnt fresh. Movistar didnt protect Quintana well enough
2016: Won because Contador crashed. Quintana wasnt in his best shape. Nibali wasnt in the best shape.
2017: Won beacuse Contador crashed. Everybody crashed.

:lol: :lol:

silvergrenade said:
rick james said:
dacooley said:
Yeah.
2013: Won because Contador wasnt in top form. Movistar hedged their bets on the wrong guy. Cadel was declining.
2015: Won because Contador wasnt fresh. Movistar didnt protect Quintana well enough
2016: Won because Contador crashed. Quintana wasnt in his best shape. Nibali wasnt in the best shape.

...and just when I took you off of "Ignore". :(

This is just a sign of the new "play it safe" era, as when base-lining replaced the serve and volley game in tennis, but even that era has taken a step forward or two. Breed some Valverde into the future Froome(s).

Jun 26, 2017
Visit site
silvergrenade said:
rick james said:
dacooley said:
Yeah.

1yn6vo.jpg

Re:

Frihed89 said:
This is just a sign of the new "play it safe" era, as when base-lining replaced the serve and volley game in tennis, but even that era has taken a step forward or two. Breed some Valverde into the future Froome(s).

I can see it from both sides. Uran was seen as playing it safe but his team was looking at potential collapse and he had had 2 off years and now in fine form he had the potential for a Tour podium, something that was unimaginable for him since less than stellar 2015 & 2016. With minimal support he almost had to play it safe when faced with the might of the Sky juggernaut. He almost had to be wondering how long this stretch of good form would last. To throw caution to the wind and go for broke, attacking Froome when Landa was still there to mark him and Froome apparently not necessarily showing weakness would've been foolish.

Froome had such a strong team especially with Landa and Kwiatkowski, that he could afford to follow wheels and keeping in mind his second goal of the season, he appeared to be purposely leaving something in the tank for Spain.

It would've been entertaining for the fans but that doesn't always translate into a strategy that compliments the rider and his team's goals and ambitions.

Froome thoroughly deserves this win. He didn't appear to be as strong in the mountains this year, but he was always paying attention and alert. That said, things definitely would have been harder if Porte hadn't crashed. He was in great form. That doesn't mean there's an asterisk next to Froome's win....just an interesting "what if" to consider.

silvergrenade said:
rick james said:
dacooley said:
Yeah.

2018: Won because Contador chose the Giro/Vuelta double/retired. :eek:

CF not to use his Vortex suit which apparently gave him 30 secs on his rivals.

Froome brushed of any polemic about being obliged to use the yellow skinsuit provided by Le Coq Sportif.

“It’s an honour to be in yellow at this point in the race. I wouldn’t want to be in any other position and be trying to make up time on leader of race,” he said.

“I’ve ridden in the skinsuit provided by race organisers almost every year and it’s not been a problem. At the end of the day it’s all about the legs.”

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
silvergrenade said:
rick james said:
dacooley said:
Yeah.

Good post, an underappreciated insight regarding the nature of asteriskes. Whilst our cognitive limitations often have us add asteriskes to races as if they were discrete objects that should be added or not, the underlying reality they are supposed to measure is in fact continuous. So, rather than crudely adding an asterisk to races if the underlying asteriskiness exceeds a certain subjective threshold, we should add an asterisk to all race results but use grayscale, a continuous measure ranging from white to black, to visually represent the asteriskiness; the extent to which a victory was affected by lucky circumstances not originating within the characteristics of the winning rider.

Re:

Jspear said:
Froome thoroughly deserves this win. He didn't appear to be as strong in the mountains this year, but he was always paying attention and alert. That said, things definitely would have been harder if Porte hadn't crashed. He was in great form. That doesn't mean there's an asterisk next to Froome's win....just an interesting "what if" to consider.

No doubt about that. But I am a spectator, too...since the era of Virenque.

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Re: Re:

LaFlorecita said:
TMP402 said:
Dumoulin not going to the Vuelta...
Froome only has to turn up now to do the double. Don't see who could even remotely challenge him. Unfortunately.

If only it were so simple. :)

You don't just turn up to a 2nd GT in a row with a few weeks recovery only and pick up a free win.

Re: Re:

deValtos said:
LaFlorecita said:
TMP402 said:
Dumoulin not going to the Vuelta...
Froome only has to turn up now to do the double. Don't see who could even remotely challenge him. Unfortunately.

If only it were so simple. :)

You don't just turn up to a 2nd GT in a row with a few weeks recovery only and pick up a free win.
Who is going to beat him? No one is fresh at this point. Nibali is the only possible rival I see and he hasn't exactly been very impressive this year.

TRENDING THREADS