• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Chris Froome Discussion Thread.

Page 441 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Is Froome over the hill?

• Yes.

Votes: 26 34.7%
  • No, the GC finished 40 minutes ago but Froomie is still climbing it

Votes: 42 56.0%
  • No he is totally winning the Vuelta

Votes: 18 24.0%

• Total voters
No Giro in 2018 once again.

Even if I understand the variety of reasons behind the choice, he will always look an incomplete rider to me.
A true champion must give a serious go at all 3 GTs!

Merckx, Anquetil, Hinault... the ones he is proud to be mentioned with in the same sentence... they wouldn't have become the legends they are without their results in Giro and the Vuelta.
And to that category, in modern cycling, only Nibali and Contador can be included.

Is Froome the best GC rider of the present era?
I don't know. I can only say he is the best Tour rider of the present era. And that in no way makes him the best GC rider overall.

Not to mention that massive, enormous advantage of having a team like Team Sky supporting him.

Would he have won 4 Tours if in a different team?
Definitely not this year, in my opinion.

How does that compare with, for example, Contador winning 2015 Giro without a team?
I consider that a much bigger feat than this year Froome's win. Despite of it still being an enormous achievement.

Re:

Singer01 said:
Bad news for Froome haters, if he follows his current pattern he walks next year, so far his winning margins have been
- about 4 mins
- about 1 min
- about 4 mins
- about 1 min

he is due another 4 minute cake walk.
Us Contador fans thought we saw a pattern in 2014 with his 2 - 1 - 2 - 1 - 2 results. Unfortunately his next result was not a win but a DNF !

huge said:

Even if I understand the variety of reasons behind the choice, he will always look an incomplete rider to me.

Merckx, Anquetil, Hinault... the ones he is proud to be mentioned with in the same sentence... they wouldn't have become the legends they are without their results in Giro and the Vuelta.
And to that category, in modern cycling, only Nibali and Contador can be included.

I don't know. I can only say he is the best Tour rider of the present era. And that in no way makes him the best GC rider overall.

Not to mention that massive, enormous advantage of having a team like Team Sky supporting him.

How does that compare with, for example, Contador winning 2015 Giro without a team?
I consider that a much bigger feat than this year Froome's win. Despite of it still being an enormous achievement.
You trying to say indurain isn't a legend?

Re: Re:

LaFlorecita said:
Singer01 said:
Bad news for Froome haters, if he follows his current pattern he walks next year, so far his winning margins have been
- about 4 mins
- about 1 min
- about 4 mins
- about 1 min

he is due another 4 minute cake walk.
Us Contador fans thought we saw a pattern in 2014 with his 2 - 1 - 2 - 1 - 2 results. Unfortunately his next result was not a win but a DNF !
I'm pretty sure DNF is an impossible winning margin, though it is a possible result.

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
Very unlikely he gets to 7. Had Wiggins crashed in 2012 and Froome not crashed in 2014 he'd probably have 6 now and then it'd be conceivable he gets to 8. Lance's 7 consecutive victories is astounding even with all his unique advantages

huge said:

Disagree with almost everything you wrote.
Of course he is the best GC rider of the era. Every time he has come up against the best in the world when it mattered most he has come out on top.

At the end of the day, the Tour is the Tour. For us all-year-round cycling fans we tend to forget how much the rest of the world values the Tour than the other GT's. We even end up preferring the other GT's and sometimes hope that the best riders will skip the Tour and ride the Vuelta or Giro.

But talk to any 'layman' on the street and it is a whole different story.

The Tour is everything. It is cycling.

And undoubtedly, from all points of views, it is the hardest to win, never mind 4 times (having only tried to win it 4 times).

Nibali and Contador only won the Giro in years they forfeited on the Tour. And the former only has 1 Tour to his name and the latter 2 (officially), perhaps because of that.

To win the Giro/Vuelta by forfeiting a Tour victory is pointless. Winning 4 Tours is much more impressive.
Froome's palmares in GC's outstrips Nibali's for sure.
Greg Lemond won 3 GT's. Tony Rominger won 3 GT's. But Rominger - among non-cycling fans- is unheard of.
Even 1 time winners of the Tour are better known than multiple Vuelta/Giro winners.

Of course, Froome is not as complete a rider as Merckx or Hinault, but in modern day cycling it is impossible to replicate what they did. Cycling has become much more specialized and time, fitness, freshness and form much more marginalized. The differences between the main competitors become smaller and smaller as technology advances. This all makes Froome's 4 victories even more impressive, despite it being obvious that he is not as complete a rider as Hinault and Merckx and never will be.

Re:

Laplaz said:
What are you rating higher? Nibalis 2 Giros 1 Tour and 1 Vuelta or Froomeys 4 Tours?
Nibali - because he tried different things.
Froome, though impressive, does things according to a formula. Stick to what works well - also regarding the team.

That's not even mentioning that Nibali also mixes it up in classics.
(though that's not part of your comparison)

I'd gladly see Nibali trying something new if winning the Tours had perfectly worked. You can easily skip the Giro or Vuelta instead of defending the title, but deliberately skipping the Tour when it's up to you...When was the last time it happened?

Ruby United said:
huge said:

Disagree with almost everything you wrote.
Of course he is the best GC rider of the era. Every time he has come up against the best in the world when it mattered most he has come out on top.

At the end of the day, the Tour is the Tour. For us all-year-round cycling fans we tend to forget how much the rest of the world values the Tour than the other GT's. We even end up preferring the other GT's and sometimes hope that the best riders will skip the Tour and ride the Vuelta or Giro.

But talk to any 'layman' on the street and it is a whole different story.

The Tour is everything. It is cycling.

And undoubtedly, from all points of views, it is the hardest to win, never mind 4 times (having only tried to win it 4 times).

Nibali and Contador only won the Giro in years they forfeited on the Tour. And the former only has 1 Tour to his name and the latter 2 (officially), perhaps because of that.

To win the Giro/Vuelta by forfeiting a Tour victory is pointless. Winning 4 Tours is much more impressive.
Froome's palmares in GC's outstrips Nibali's for sure.
Greg Lemond won 3 GT's. Tony Rominger won 3 GT's. But Rominger - among non-cycling fans- is unheard of.
Even 1 time winners of the Tour are better known than multiple Vuelta/Giro winners.

Of course, Froome is not as complete a rider as Merckx or Hinault, but in modern day cycling it is impossible to replicate what they did. Cycling has become much more specialized and time, fitness, freshness and form much more marginalized. The differences between the main competitors become smaller and smaller as technology advances. This all makes Froome's 4 victories even more impressive, despite it being obvious that he is not as complete a rider as Hinault and Merckx and never will be.

To be fair to Contador, I don't think he's ever intentionally forfeited the Tour. Generally his hand was forced by circumstances. Even in 2015 I think he truly believed he could do the double after his very impressive 2014. I don't think it would be fair to say that he was just hand-picking the easy GTs in 2015. Next year might (and hopefully will) be a different story.

Jul 6, 2016
Visit site
huge said:

Agree with everything you wrote. And it's not only about Team Sky the team as in personal assistance on the road, but even more about Team Sky The Project, without which the world almost surely would have never heard of the Kenian cyclist Christopher Froome. And for me, that ruins everything.

Jun 26, 2017
Visit site
Pennino said:
huge said:

Agree with everything you wrote. And it's not only about Team Sky the team as in personal assistance on the road, but even more about Team Sky The Project, without which the world almost surely would have never heard of the Kenian cyclist Christopher Froome. And for me, that ruins everything.
sb3dvq.jpg

TRENDING THREADS