• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Chris Froome Discussion Thread.

Page 498 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Is Froome over the hill?

• Yes.

Votes: 26 35.1%
  • No, the GC finished 40 minutes ago but Froomie is still climbing it

Votes: 42 56.8%
  • No he is totally winning the Vuelta

Votes: 17 23.0%

• Total voters
Re: Re:

movingtarget said:
pink_jersey said:
dacooley said:
Sky are going to isolate a threat of probable team 2015 astana-esque effort. the question is if any new upstart will manage to take on Froome. So far, I don't see anyone being able to do that. The only candidate is Aru in case he improves his top conditions. Yates brothers, Chaves, Pozzovivo, Meintejs don't look like guys froome will have difficulties to deal with. with froome planning to do the giro, the likelihood of nibali and dimoulin racing it as well goes down. furthermore, let's not forget the nature of the giro course which is traditionally fraught with sensations and suprises.

Landa and Chaves will be Froome main rivals in the Giro. I think Dumoulin will ride TdF. Nibali as well.

Froome, Landa, Chaves, Aru and maybe Pinot in the Giro and Froome, Quintana, Dumoulin, Nibali, Porte and Valverde in the TdF.
I'm not sure what Bardet and Uran are thinking right now. I think Giro route is better for them.

I think Aru will do better than Chaves. I think he will do well but Orica will have a stronger team and they don't mind some long range attacks sometimes. Of course the achilles heel for Chaves is the TT.

My understanding is the Giro and the Vuelta are the key GC targets for Orica in 2018, while the TDF is a softer target with stage wins the priority - Will be interesting to see what team Orica chooses for the Giro.

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
The comments on l'equipe are absolutely brilliant. :lol:

It was only a couple of years ago they were criticizing Froome for only targeting the Tour and now they are lambasting him for attempting to ride the Giro.

Re:

hazaran said:
How can he possibly be a challenge having basically lost time on every single mountain? He only got close because being on Sky allowed him to get into the breakaway. Frankly, judging from his past performances, he won't finish this Giro.

Not sure if you watched last year's Tour? Or Landa's last year performances? :confused:

Blanco said:
hazaran said:
How can he possibly be a challenge having basically lost time on every single mountain? He only got close because being on Sky allowed him to get into the breakaway. Frankly, judging from his past performances, he won't finish this Giro.

Not sure if you watched last year's Tour? Or Landa's last year performances? :confused:

Due to circumstances he was never in a position to fight for the overall so his performances say nothing more than we already knew, that when in shape he is one of the best climbers in the peloton. I highly doubt that this only skill that he has is enough to unsettle the most complete active GT rider who also has by far the most powerful GT team at his disposal. Landa will probably be Froome's most important rival in the Giro but that's about all.

Jul 14, 2015
Visit site

Blanco said:
hazaran said:

Yeah I watched it, always in trouble on the climbs. If you want to usurp your leader, look no further than 2012 for the performance required to claim you're "the best climber in the race"

I mean, at some point that kind of brash claim involves being there all the way to the finish line with your race winner leader, not finishing behind Meintjes (stage 5), Bennett (stage 9) or just straight being dropped (stage 17, 18). Add in the mediocre TT and GT leadership abandons and we get.. a younger van den Broeck :lol:

Actually, van den Broeck has the better GT resume.

Armchair cyclist said:
King Boonen said:
Hi folks,

I've moved political posts to this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=33695

Please keep them in there. Thanks!

Because it fits so well in a thread about Colin Kaepernick and the "taking the knee" campaign.

It's frankly bizarre that the politics of road cycling is now considered off topic in the road cycling forum by the moderators here.

Armchair cyclist said:
King Boonen said:
Hi folks,

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=33695

Because it fits so well in a thread about Colin Kaepernick and the "taking the knee" campaign.

Feel free to read the thread title, or not, it's up to you.

Zinoviev Letter said:
[quote="Armchair cyclist":23q7782v][quote="King Boonen":23q7782v]Hi folks,

<span class="skimlinks-unlinked">http://forum.cyclingnews.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=33695</span>

Because it fits so well in a thread about Colin Kaepernick and the "taking the knee" campaign.[/quote]

It's frankly bizarre that the politics of road cycling is now considered off topic in the road cycling forum by the moderators here.[/quote]

Considering the political implications of the location of a bike race off-topic in a thread about a rider seems bizarre to you?

deValtos said:

It was only a couple of years ago they were criticizing Froome for only targeting the Tour and now they are lambasting him for attempting to ride the Giro.

You have actualy looked up what certain people said and compared it to what they are saying now and you caught them making a 180?

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Breh said:
deValtos said:

You have actualy looked up what certain people said and compared it to what they are saying now and you caught them making a 180?

No, though they do have a rating system which means you can view the most agreed with comments and at least establish a general sentiment.

oldcrank said:
One of my mates, an amateur pugilist about 40 years ago,
got a laugh last night when he suggested the 2018 Giro is
going to be somewhat like a "unification bout" because if
Froomey wins he will "hold all three belts." :)

Nice calculated post. It will be quite something if 'Froomey' pulls it off and has all 3 belts at the same time, no doubt. As a long standing holder of all 3 belts, I'm sure Nibali will be the first to congratulate on him on his belated catch up.

ferryman said:
oldcrank said:
One of my mates, an amateur pugilist about 40 years ago,
got a laugh last night when he suggested the 2018 Giro is
going to be somewhat like a "unification bout" because if
Froomey wins he will "hold all three belts." :)

Nice calculated post. It will be quite something if 'Froomey' pulls it off and has all 3 belts at the same time, no doubt. As a long standing holder of all 3 belts, I'm sure Nibali will be the first to congratulate on him on his belated catch up.
I think he means that Froome will have 3 titles At the same time. Like McCregor having both UFC lightweight and flyweight at the same time. :lol:
When did Nibali ever have them at the same time? :confused: :surprised:
Having thought further Froome is already holding 2 belts. McGregor style. I like that. What a champ!
Once Nibs holds 2 GTs at once Froome will be the first to congratulate . :lol:

deValtos said:
Breh said:
deValtos said:

No, though they do have a rating system which means you can view the most agreed with comments and at least establish a general sentiment.

No you can't do that.

Dec 1, 2017
Visit site

Rollthedice said:
Blanco said:
hazaran said:

Due to circumstances he was never in a position to fight for the overall so his performances say nothing more than we already knew, that when in shape he is one of the best climbers in the peloton. I highly doubt that this only skill that he has is enough to unsettle the most complete active GT rider who also has by far the most powerful GT team at his disposal. Landa will probably be Froome's most important rival in the Giro but that's about all.
Landa can afford to show up in peak form while froome will have to come a bit undercooked if he wanna be on top for the Tdf.

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Breh said:
deValtos said:
Breh said:
deValtos said:

No you can't do that.

You can't establish a general sentiment of commenters on l'equipe by looking at the most popular comments on l'equipe?

possible Froome schedule (Gazzetta dello Sport)

*south africa training camp
Feb 15-19 Andalucia/Algarve
March 8-14 Tirreno
*tenerife training camp
April 17-21 Tour-Of-The-Alps-Trentino
May 5 Giro

so I guess SouthAfrica before Andalucia/Algarve and Tenerife between Tirreno and Trentino

Re:

staubsauger said:
If there were only 3 weeks between the Giro and the Tour the double might be possible. Froome has very little chance to win the pink jersey anyway. Less than Armstrong actually! The hectic nature of the race simply ain't his cup of tea.
I think Froome has a decent chance of winning the Giro, even if a hectic race (I assume you mean the weather?) isn't good for him. It may not be his favourite kind of circumstance, but he has already done well in these circumstances in the past, but such circumstances may not arise anyway. Just look at this year's Giro, not a drop of rain throughout the race. I think that may have to do with climate change, so we could see that trend continue next year.

Re:

staubsauger said:
If there were only 3 weeks between the Giro and the Tour the double might be possible. Froome has very little chance to win the pink jersey anyway. Less than Armstrong actually! The hectic nature of the race simply ain't his cup of tea.
froome hardly has a reputation of going into complete meltdown once the race starts showing its hectic nature. moreover, with sky a team, i wouldnt be surprised to see another tour-like procession.

TRENDING THREADS