• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Chris Froome Discussion Thread.

Page 510 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Is Froome over the hill?

• Yes.

Votes: 26 35.1%
  • No, the GC finished 40 minutes ago but Froomie is still climbing it

Votes: 42 56.8%
  • No he is totally winning the Vuelta

Votes: 17 23.0%

• Total voters
May I ask what colour do the mod hats come in? The wife was asking so she can keep me and the kids in order when necessary (most of the time :D ).

On a serious note, I've been wondering if Froomes head will be straight going into these races closer to his main goals. Physically he could be sound, but mentally? I think he may give the Giro a go if there's been no breakthrough but if it's still lingering before the Tour, then I was wondering if he would contemplate withdrawing himself or come up with some excuse (injury?) to maybe give his team (whoever the leader would be without him) a chance at winning it. He needs to think about his team on not just himself in this situation.

If he happens to pull off a win in either, I think it will be the biggest win of his career.

So...any alarm bells ringing yet?
I'm not sure what to think of his performance but this certainly didn't look perfect. I know he does a slow build up as he is going for the double but even in last years Dauphine he looked clearly better than here. So far, despite his Dauphine performances getting weaker year by year, he always ended up being fine in the tour, but then again it also looked like his tour performances got weaker too, and he could only win without big difficulties because of a lack of good competition.
He is still the favorite for the giro but there are some question marks. He is at least not the outstanding favorite in my opinion.

Gigs_98 said:
I'm not sure what to think of his performance but this certainly didn't look perfect. I know he does a slow build up as he is going for the double but even in last years Dauphine he looked clearly better than here. So far, despite his Dauphine performances getting weaker year by year, he always ended up being fine in the tour, but then again it also looked like his tour performances got weaker too, and he could only win without big difficulties because of a lack of good competition.
He is still the favorite for the giro but there are some question marks. He is at least not the outstanding favorite in my opinion.
I don't know what he's doing. Could be extra cautious build up due to Giro/Tour being harder than Tour/Vuelta. Could just be worse than last year.

He must've looked at Quintana last year and he must realise he can't win the Giro while keeping one eye on the Tour already. And with the court date uncertain, there's no reason to do that.

@Gigs
Yes, you absolutely and unfortunately right. CF was so weaker than.. Elissonde! And we are not talking about Poels or GT.
Even yesterday I thought that everything is under control and Giro will be boring, but yes, Froome might be really dissapointing in Italy.
What may happen?- streghtening the squad for Giro for having the second option (Thomas, he was even previous likely to join squad).. or just big defeat.. probably Dumo winning the race.
EDIT- and Etna might be the first answer.

Red Rick said:
Gigs_98 said:
I don't know what he's doing. Could be extra cautious build up due to Giro/Tour being harder than Tour/Vuelta. Could just be worse than last year.

He must've looked at Quintana last year and he must realise he can't win the Giro while keeping one eye on the Tour already. And with the court date uncertain, there's no reason to do that.
Sorry, but it's too much of a generalization. A few GTs provide sensations of the Dimoulin 2017 Giro. Providing Tom hadn't been so brilliant on the climbs and the things had gone smoother for Quintana, he could win the Giro as well. Quintana didn't get lucky, Froome might be, might not, he should try. Not sure Froome will win the Giro, but he'll improve noticably, there's no doubt. I don't know if Pinot gets stronger coming to the Giro, but CF definetely will.

Re:

Rollthedice said:
That's almost the best he can do, time waits for no one but there's still hope. If he doesn't get lost in the deserts of the Holy Land his TT will keep him in contention back in the Roman Empire. Question is, can he survive the Zonc?
Zonc is one climb. But it is where we'll see if he has the better of Dumoulin uphill.

Re: Re:

Red Rick said:
Rollthedice said:
That's almost the best he can do, time waits for no one but there's still hope. If he doesn't get lost in the deserts of the Holy Land his TT will keep him in contention back in the Roman Empire. Question is, can he survive the Zonc?
Zonc is one climb. But it is where we'll see if he has the better of Dumoulin uphill.

Tom looks stressed out of his mind, overwhelming expectations are making his legs tremble, walking his dog won't solve the problem. Two Giros in a row? Make that two Gyros please, no ketchup cause it's upsetting my stomach.

Re: Re:

Rollthedice said:
Red Rick said:
Rollthedice said:

Tom looks stressed out of his mind, overwhelming expectations are making his legs tremble. Two Giros in a row? Make that two Gyros please, no ketchup cause it's upsetting my stomach.

We'll see.

I for one am liking the Etna. Can't be bad there and get away with it.

After at least one stage Froome rode 30km back the hotel rather than take the bus, so this race was more about training than winning. He also looked like he was doing interval training on some stages. So it would seem he's a bit behind schedule, but not by much. Elissonde's form is a big plus for him.

As for Dumoulin, this will be the first GT that he starts as one of the big favourites. He benefited last year from Nibali and Quintana looking at each other too much. He doesn't get to be underrated again.

Re:

Parker said:
After at least one stage Froome rode 30km back the hotel rather than take the bus, so this race was more about training than winning. He also looked like he was doing interval training on some stages. So it would seem he's a bit behind schedule, but not by much. Elissonde's form is a big plus for him.

As for Dumoulin, this will be the first GT that he starts as one of the big favourites. He benefited last year from Nibali and Quintana looking at each other too much. He doesn't get to be underrated again.

Yeah, a 30K warm down ride back to the hotel shows he's taking this as serious training. As for the interval training, oh my.

TRENDING THREADS