• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Chris Froome Discussion Thread.

Page 538 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Is Froome over the hill?

• Yes.

Votes: 26 35.1%
  • No, the GC finished 40 minutes ago but Froomie is still climbing it

Votes: 42 56.8%
  • No he is totally winning the Vuelta

Votes: 17 23.0%

• Total voters
Re: Re:

Oliwright said:
SafeBet said:
Escarabajo said:
My comments:
- I think the UCI went too far in this case by not releasing the results earlier. Could have done it right after the Giro if they wanted.
According to UCI, Froome filed his explanation for the abnormal result on 4 June 2018.

Link?

UCI statement.

Following receipt of information from WADA, Mr Froome then filed his explanation for the abnormal result on 4 June 2018, together with significant additional expert evidence.

I think Froome has behaved throughout this saga with great dignity in the face of hate-filled vitriol, wilful fabrication and downright slander.
Various bodies of international experts have deemed unanimously that he has no case to answer.
That said the entire testing procedures need to be overhauled and the science behind them reviewed.

The extreme anti sky cycling fans aren't going to change their minds by a UCI decision. But when other riders were cleared like Kreuziger, or even when riders were found guilty like Contador they were still supported and treated with dignity.
Froome contrary to common belief is beatable and just hasn't had the best competition in a few of the recent GTs. He's lost GTs very inform versions of Nibali, Quintana & Contador in the last few years. This year Dumoulin IMO ride a poor race & other than Yates there wasn't any GT winning riders present.

Oliwright said:
The extreme anti sky cycling fans aren't going to change their minds by a UCI decision. But when other riders were cleared like Kreuziger, or even when riders were found guilty like Contador they were still supported and treated with dignity.
Froome contrary to common belief is beatable and just hasn't had the best competition in a few of the recent GTs. He's lost GTs very inform versions of Nibali, Quintana & Contador in the last few years. This year Dumoulin IMO ride a poor race & other than Yates there wasn't any GT winning riders present.
So what your saying Froome only wins because his opponents are are poor?

Great news for the TdF, which promises to be the most open and entertaining for years. Let’s face it, a TdF without Froome wouldn’t be the same. We are witnessing a period of seeing one of the greats in action, which will be drawing to a close soon, so let’s enjoy it and see if any competitor is ready to beat the King.

Re:

dastott said:
Great news for the TdF, which promises to be the most open and entertaining for years. Let’s face it, a TdF without Froome wouldn’t be the same. We are witnessing a period of seeing one of the greats in action, which will be drawing to a close soon, so let’s enjoy it and see if any competitor is ready to beat the King.

I agree; many are behaving as though the race is a forgone conclusion, which couldn't be further from the truth.

The only unsatisfactory outcome of this ruling is Froome keeping the Vuelta title

Guys, I'm a mod in another forum and it's not an easy task.
Having people publicly complain surely doesn't make it easier. If there are inappropriate posts just report them or write a private message to the mods. And don't forget to thank them for their work (which I believe is volunteer).

Re:

dacooley said:
As any other stage racing giant, Froome can cause just two emotions: gloating and butthurt. Except for PriceySky, who has posted quite rarely recently, I don't remember reading some moderate gladness applied to what Froome does. :)

I’ve missed most of the drama over the past week or so (short break with my partner and then my brother in laws stag do in Dublin).

Froome is obviously going to spilt a lot of posters, and there have been a lot of inappropriate posts from both sides of the argument on here (and some other threads) since the verdict.

I’d strongly suggest that attacks on other posters should stop immediately, the same with the clinic references and digs on this side of the forum. Failure to do so will result in people having a break themselves. Us mods, who volunteer a lot of time to this forum, will be busy enough over the next month without having to deal with those who constantly flaunt the rules.

Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
There is no asterisk next to Froome's name. In case people haven't received the news, he has been found innocent. Therefore he gets to keep everything. All the Tours, the Vuelta, the Giro. And the next GT he wins. No asterisks. The whole process was never even meant to have been made public since we're not even dealing with a banned substance. Sad that an innocent man has had his name dragged through the mud. And yet there are posters here, and even a mod, still libelling him.

Froome would've been heavily disliked whatever the yesterday's decision was. He has some unprecedent talent to turn all the things upside down, putting people on the edge. At the very beginning it was full of mystery 2011 breakthrough, later on the regular beating of people's champions, splitting 80km Giro raid in the race which was already lost as it seemed, and finally getting away with it after an implex litigation where a risk of finishing career was really considerable. Take a note, in all affairs it occurs kinda illogically. Lady luck saves this smart ass, who should have won 0 grand tours. Discrepancy between reality and expectations is what makes fans mad. I have a feeling Froome himself sort of feeds all the hatred directed at him, it makes him increasingly stronger.

I'm not a big Froome fan, and won't say I'm happy about the conclusion of this investigation, but the Tour would feel like a watered down race without him in it. I don't want him to win the Tour, but I want someone to beat him on the road.

Oliwright said:

Funny. Dumoulin / Sunweb and data suggest he was better than at his Giro he won last year, which included Quintana and Nibali.

I don't really think the competition is poor. I think Froome is so much more ridicolously overpowered. He can win while not even being in top shape for the entire GT. He just needs 1 or 2 good stages.

Froome ultimately beating Dimoulin in the Giro should surprise as much as Dimoulin comfortably overdoing Froome in every terrain until stage 19. Quintana and Nibali were never regarded as riders of post-2011 Froome's quality, so I'm not sure what might be globally concluded from comparing 2017 and 2018 giros.

TRENDING THREADS