• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Chris Froome Discussion Thread.

Page 582 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Is Froome over the hill?

• Yes.

Votes: 26 35.1%
  • No, the GC finished 40 minutes ago but Froomie is still climbing it

Votes: 42 56.8%
  • No he is totally winning the Vuelta

Votes: 17 23.0%

• Total voters
Didn't it leak?

Anyway, I think Froome himself said just riding the Tour was his goal for the season? You could argue you want Froome to be a tactical card to play but with this route he could be found out way before the tactics actually come into play much.

Didn't it leak?

Anyway, I think Froome himself said just riding the Tour was his goal for the season? You could argue you want Froome to be a tactical card to play but with this route he could be found out way before the tactics actually come into play much.
They thought at some point he could lead. If he can't, why not just hide it? Isn't it concealable? If it is, why not allow the pre-Tour races show the hierarchy? This only damages Froome status inside the team. I don't remember Sky to have this kind of leaks.

I think they already knew that Froome fitness wasn't good, just yesterday CyclingPro reported that was the team that forced Bernal to renounce going to the Giro because of the doubts over Froome being a contender in the Tour. I won't be surprised if in the end Froome this year will go only to the Vuelta to test himself after a very light schedule and in case try the all in on the Tour in 2021.

Reactions: PrimusPilus12
This is sad, really. I've not been the biggest fan of Froome's or of his team's, but I wouldn't wish this on anybody, much less somebody who's used to riding at the top of the sport. For all my beefs about his racing style and that of his team, they do force other teams to raise their games, which can only be good for road cycling as a whole. I don't know much about him as a person, but this has got to be hard on the guy. I wish him well, and hope for a full recovery.

I think they already knew that Froome fitness wasn't good, just yesterday CyclingPro reported that was the team that forced Bernal to renounce going to the Giro because of the doubts over Froome being a contender in the Tour. I won't be surprised if in the end Froome this year will go only to the Vuelta to test himself after a very light schedule and in case try the all in on the Tour in 2021.

Yeah. He probably wont be racing this spring at all it sounds like and sending him to the Tour without having any race days prior, does not seem likely either based on that.

A whole year of recovery and just training. Maybe if positive results. Try and line-up at a few races later in the season. Set his sights on 2021.

Right now it sounds like they are unsure if he could or will ever race at this level again though. Thats a major hurdle to get over. If possible at all.

Sometimes the people at PCS just get a little bit drunk. Apparently he just changed nationality from GB to... GB!

Reactions: TourOfSardinia
If Froome can't aim for the Vuelta he literally has nothing to aim for this year and 2020 is solely an investment in 2021, but then it still wouldn't bode well. Also, riders typically race high level races long before they get back to their best level, so if he can't ride the Tour, he probably won't be in great form for the Vuelta either.

Reactions: Koronin

At 36 years of age while Bernal could possibly be a 2x defending champion?

That ain’t happening.

TRENDING THREADS