• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Chris Froome Discussion Thread.

Page 613 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Is Froome over the hill?

• Yes.

Votes: 28 35.0%
  • No, the GC finished 40 minutes ago but Froomie is still climbing it

Votes: 46 57.5%
  • No he is totally winning the Vuelta

Votes: 18 22.5%

• Total voters
Was Froome restricted from riding due to COVId? I thought I read he was riding in March, am I wrong? Approx 6 months ago. If he was sandbagging it will be one of the biggest slights or hand in sports history. Based on what I saw he doesn’t need to be included on the Tour team. He’d turn into a boat anchor and placeholder. Take Thomas, sit Froome.
Froome was in Africa for part of it, then I thought went back to Europe, but I don't know which country. I'm fairly certain he wasn't in France, Spain, Italy, or Andorra. Don't know if Monaco had a full lock down or not.

Froome was in Africa for part of it, then I thought went back to Europe, but I don't know which country. I'm fairly certain he wasn't in France, Spain, Italy, or Andorra. Don't know if Monaco had a full lock down or not.
Monaco is 5km long. If you're stuck there, you're basically on lockdown.

Edit; Nico Roche, Monaco resident, was riding on Zwift from March to May.

Last edited:
Probably the Tour stage to Bagnères-de-Bigorre in 2013 where Dan Martin beat Fuglsang in a two-man sprint and Froome had been alone for 100 kilometres without losing time to any important rival.

That's the one I was thinking of. Thanks! Just read the race summary and I remember it was memorable because of Porte dropping like a sack of potatoes and Kiryienka finishing outside the time limit.

So, no bluffing or active recovery at the Dauphine. He and Thomas were just really shite. I expect them to dissapoint at the Giro and Vuelta too though. Thomas will lack the motivation, Froome's injuries were too severe. But I must admit that I still hadn't ruled out a 2011 like transformation completely for the Tour till today.

Anyway, I do not think Carapaz will be happy to be domestique for the Tour now and seriously hampering his chances for the Giro probably.

Reactions: Sandisfan
So, no bluffing or active recovery at the Dauphine. He and Thomas were just really shite. I expect them to dissapoint at the Giro and Vuelta too though. Thomas will lack the motivation, Froome's injuries were too severe. But I must admit that I still hadn't ruled out a 2011 like transformation completely for the Tour till today.

Anyway, I do not think Carapaz will be happy to be domestique for the Tour now and seriously hampering his chances for the Giro probably.
Bernal didnt look Stellar at the Dauphine and with talk of his back problems Carapaz could well see this as an opportunity to step in as Plan B if Egan isn't performing or worse still has to pull out.

Bernal didnt look Stellar at the Dauphine and with talk of his back problems Carapaz could well see this as an opportunity to step in as Plan B if Egan isn't performing or worse still has to pull out.
Yes, but I just can imgaine that a rider that basically only got called up 10 days before the Tour (so had no targeted preperation at all) will end up at the podium of the Tour.

But we will see.

So it’s confirmed Froome doesn’t make the Tour team, he will be given more time and target the Vuelta.
Sensible decision i think....he looked so far off the pace at the Dauphine that it was impossible to see him picking up so much in such a short space of time. I guess the same applies to Thomas, but i must admit his omission from the team came as an even bigger surprise.

Yes, but I just can imgaine that a rider that basically only got called up 10 days before the Tour (so had no targeted preperation at all) will end up at the podium of the Tour.
True...but i guess ahead of the announcement this has been in the thinking of Brailsford and the team for a while now so id be surprised if Carapaz hasn't been preparing for this in one way or another.

Sensible decision i think....he looked so far off the pace at the Dauphine that it was impossible to see him picking up so much in such a short space of time. I guess the same applies to Thomas, but i must admit his omission from the team came as an even bigger surprise.

Yeah, no point in going to the Tour after all in this condition I suppose. Maybe he even recognised that himself.

It's also a bit difficult to be optimistic for his chances at the Vuelta though, the way things are going.

Reactions: Koronin
Pretty ruthless decision, but this is what makes them successful really. Many of the infinitely more likeable but less successful teams would’ve probably gone with the romantic/cav/betancur option; bring them hoping they can find some of the old magic from the depths. The one where we are all willing someone on and they inevitably lose or turn up looking like they’ve been spent a few months sampling the local cuisine.

The carapaz thing is debatable, but the giro/vuelta has always been a non priority at sky. Bernal’s showing has raised more questions than answers, and perhaps in the back of their minds they think they need a plan B if it all goes tits up.

I’m of the opinion that froome is done and has had ISN’s pants down. All credit to him really, I think if brailsford thought he had anything left there’s no way he’s letting him go without the triumphant 5th tour attempt, the parade, the PR, the Netflix documentary, the big nationalist undertones, the inevitable Boris reflected glory attempt.

Thomas likely still has a bit to offer but I’d rather see him have a go at the classics and I think he enjoys racing them more. That tour win after every day you’d think someone shot his dog the way he was going on in interviews.

Reactions: Sandisfan
I wonder how Israel feels about committing all that money now. Sure, he has another year to recover, but also another year to get older. I can't see him as a contender for another TDF title. I don't expect him to contend at the Vuelta, either, though who knows which other riders will be there.

Surely the management at ISN would have known that Froome's recovery and return to former glories wasn't a given at the time they signed the deal....
cycling sponsorship is such that they are still going to get some value out of Froome...almost regardless of results the signing has already and im sure will continue to bring lots of interest and publicity to the team which in turn will likely bring about increased commercial worth when discussing new sponsor arrangements.

TRENDING THREADS