• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Chris Froome Discussion Thread.

Page 615 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Is Froome over the hill?

• Yes.

Votes: 28 35.0%
  • No, the GC finished 40 minutes ago but Froomie is still climbing it

Votes: 46 57.5%
  • No he is totally winning the Vuelta

Votes: 18 22.5%

• Total voters
It's hard to know what his form really is. In what I've watched in the last couple of days he's struggled, but when he sat up today the commentator commented at how much work he'd done. Unless he really rides for himself for once we won't really know. But I don't expect much from him this year. A Vuelta podium would be as unexpected as it was in 2011.

A Vuelta podium would be as unexpected as it was in 2011.

It really wouldn’t though.

Everyone knows this story, but just to emphasise just how unexpected Froome’s transformation into the strongest climber and best GT rider of the past decade was, here’s Sky’s GC placings at 2011’s Tour de Pologne, two weeks before the Vuelta:

Kennaugh, 5th
Cummings, 9th
Nordhaug, 16th
Stannard, 61st
Löfkvist, 62nd
Possoni, 82nd
Froome, 85th
Carlström, 102nd

Understandably, Sky pick Lars Petter to ride for Wiggins ahead of Froome, leaving Froome looking around for a new team...

It really wouldn’t though.

Everyone knows this story, but just to emphasise just how unexpected Froome’s transformation into the strongest climber and best GT rider of the past decade was, here’s Sky’s GC placings at 2011’s Tour de Pologne, two weeks before the Vuelta:

Kennaugh, 5th
Cummings, 9th
Nordhaug, 16th
Stannard, 61st
Löfkvist, 62nd
Possoni, 82nd
Froome, 85th
Carlström, 102nd

Understandably, Sky pick Lars Petter to ride for Wiggins ahead of Froome, leaving Froome looking around for a new team...
Even more that they were happy with his 1 UCI World Tour point from Tour de Suisse I believe when trying to get as much points as possible for Worlds.

You dont get back to your old level with those injuries, as i have said since day 1 he has been clever and made a good move with the Israel contract, but Froome as a GT winner is done

Maybe... but Lance won 7 in a row after cancer. So, I don't think we can write Froome off yet. Many top former riders are saying that he is still capable of doing it. And I forgot which TdF top 10 rider this year said he was looking at his numbers on Strava and he felt he was a threat still. Froome has been known to put the Strava numbers out for all to see up to say 4 weeks to a race.

I live him and respect him. And he might not be able to do it this year but I will not count him out next year unless he looks awful prior to the TdF as we all know that is ISNs goal for him.

TRENDING THREADS