• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Chris Froome Discussion Thread.

Page 618 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Is Froome over the hill?

• Yes.

Votes: 28 35.0%
  • No, the GC finished 40 minutes ago but Froomie is still climbing it

Votes: 46 57.5%
  • No he is totally winning the Vuelta

Votes: 18 22.5%

• Total voters
bike I like

Q8Mgeip5iy7ZxWpSwCRx-320-80.jpg

Reactions: Amazinmets87
He looks 5+ pounds overweight. If he can get back to his GC winning weight I think he could contend.

To me he still looks skinny on the upper body, his legs are also small, but doesn't have any muscle definitions. In the past you could clearly see his calves and quads but not now. I think once he puts the mass muscle back and goes to his crazy low levels of body fat he will battle it out with the likes of Roglic and Pogacar.

To me he still looks skinny on the upper body, his legs are also small, but doesn't have any muscle definitions. In the past you could clearly see his calves and quads but not now. I think once he puts the mass muscle back and goes to his crazy low levels of body fat he will battle it out with the likes of Roglic and Pogacar.
Sounds about right. I watched him pull today and the difference in his physique was so stark.

Being super skinny won't help him with the injury recovery. He seems to be doing better everyday, I think he will be a real threat next year.

People have some unrealistic expectations. He had a very serious injury and he barely had any racing since the accident. If he was near his normal level we would be having this conversation in the clinic and everyone would say it was impossible.

Reactions: brownbobby
Yeah, I thought his leg which sustained the femur fracture looked to have lost a lot of muscle, which is hardly unsurprising. In saying that it seems the engine is still there, and apart from a punctured lung or lung contusion, not sure which one he actually suffered, which I suppose could leave scar tissue, he should still have the same cardiovascular system. If he can get the leg muscle/power back, he himself said he is lacking top end power, he might have a chance of being a GT contender again.

People have some unrealistic expectations.

It was mostly Froome himself who had unrealistic expectations. Right up until he was dropped from the TDF team, he was expressing optimism that he could win.

Chris Froome has announced he is 'here and ready' to target a record-equaling fifth victory at the Tour de France as he continues to train and work hard under COVID-19 coronavirus lockdown in Monaco. Earlier this month, Froome exclusively told Cyclingnews that the Tour de France was his 'number one target'.

Froome, who turned 35 last week, told Sky Sports in Italy: “I am ready for the Tour and to be a leader....the seven-time Grand Tour winner says he has now fully recovered and will be ready to compete for a fifth yellow jersey in Nice in late summer.

Froome is 5/1 odds to knock off Bernal and win his fifth yellow jersey.

Chris Froome says the two-month delay to the Tour de France has helped him make up the training time he lost while recovering from a horrific crash last year and he is now on track to compete for a record-equalling fifth title...“I feel like I’m on the right trajectory in terms of the Tour de France,” the 35-year-old Froome told Cycling News at the Route d’Occitanie, his first race since the cycling season was suspended in February.

Sadly, he said today that he's planning to save his legs during the ITT to help Carapaz.

Translation: if he doesn't do well, he has an excuse.

Reactions: SHAD0W93
What did people expect after such a crash? I think the hype had to be there, as it was needed to keep up the interest of sponsors, fans, and ultimately result in the contract he got. That's the name of the game.
I personally am cheering for him and think he will get back to the high level. Probably not GT-winning, but hopefully enough that he can try crazy long-range attacks to make up losses and light up some races. At least Sky-train was brutal from bottom of the climbs and Froome attacked from further than 600m from the finish. JV is effective, but imho even more boring

I agree, I think he is holding extra fat to help recovery on his leg. After all this is a 3 week race. So, instead of going full out he is holding back some and testing himself. How else do you explain 430-some watts and then he looks like crap the next day only to be doing a good pull for Carapaz a few days later?

TRENDING THREADS