• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Chris Froome Discussion Thread.

Page 621 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Is Froome over the hill?

• Yes.

Votes: 28 35.0%
  • No, the GC finished 40 minutes ago but Froomie is still climbing it

Votes: 46 57.5%
  • No he is totally winning the Vuelta

Votes: 18 22.5%

• Total voters
Eq1YdHGUYAEsj5-

Lazy bones. :cool:

Maybe it was wise to stay in California, extremely cold weather in Spain atm, Leon and Catalunya regions -35 Celsius yesterday. Nice. Madrid region like 50 cents snow excpected during weekend! :oops::eek:o_O
Geraint spent some of January near LA, Malibu where the climbs are taxing but close to home. They can ride in some anonymity or with really strong, active groups near San Diego. It's been a good place for Winter training for some time if you avoid public gatherings.

Very hard to imagine signing an aging star in questionable form for massive money only to say "nah we don't know how he's gonna do"
Sports franchises will do many things for publicity although cycling seems like it doesn't return value as well. IMO he will do well at some point but expectations are pretty high for the seriousness of his injuries. The Vuelta rides were encouraging but hardly indicative of form of old.

In the latest Chris Froome PR piece there is a remarkable admission if you examine the words. His team admit he lacks critical power in his right leg, but they describe it as an "imbalance".
Hardly surprising really, his right leg is held together with a metal rod.
Unless something truly, truly remarkable has happened since the Vuelta don't expect anything like the "old" Chris Froome unless you have a nostalgia for the Barloworld days.

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan
Route - Lefevere: "Israel Start-Up has no long-term vision"

Patrick Lefevere , Deceuninck - Quick Step boss , was Sporza's guest on the De Tribune podcast . He was notably questioned about the transfer window, and according to him, the team which made the best recruitment is quite simply ... his, "because we were able to keep our leaders" , he explained, before to mention Israel Start-Up Nation and UAE Team Emirates . "Israel Start-Up Nation has bought too many individuals. We can see that there is no long-term vision. UAE is obviously very strong on paper. But for them it's very easy: Mauro Gianetti (UAE manager) just has to call the sheikh and he has the money. "

More (use Google Translate):

• Haha
Route - Lefevere: "Israel Start-Up has no long-term vision"

Patrick Lefevere , Deceuninck - Quick Step boss , was Sporza's guest on the De Tribune podcast . He was notably questioned about the transfer window, and according to him, the team which made the best recruitment is quite simply ... his, "because we were able to keep our leaders" , he explained, before to mention Israel Start-Up Nation and UAE Team Emirates . "Israel Start-Up Nation has bought too many individuals. We can see that there is no long-term vision. UAE is obviously very strong on paper. But for them it's very easy: Mauro Gianetti (UAE manager) just has to call the sheikh and he has the money. "

More (use Google Translate):

He just has an opinion on everything, doesn't he?

I think if Froome can get to 90% of his tour winning form he will have a chance. All he'll have to do is stay with the leaders on the climbs, and hang on to whomever train is drilling it up the climbs. We know it won't be his team , so hopefully they can protect him just enough where they can deliver to the climbs so he can hang on. Even that is a tall order in this day and age of our sport. Just my two cents

Reactions: cantpedal
I still have hopes to see him at 100%. This man is gonna attack like a mad man. That's who he is. He's not the one to do 300m sprints like Roglic. No sir, if he has the legs, he attacks.

I still don't understand this obssesion about him that he hides himself after Sky Train. When he had the legs he crushed the competiton. You can talk about the Roglic-Pogacar battle of last all you want and how intriguing it was, but I still prefer 2013 or 2015 Tours. This man attacked! From distance. Not sprints. Last year, even if we had a very close GC battle we didn't seen a lot of action.

I still have hopes to see him at 100%. This man is gonna attack like a mad man. That's who he is. He's not the one to do 300m sprints like Roglic. No sir, if he has the legs, he attacks.

I still don't understand this obssesion about him that he hides himself after Sky Train. When he had the legs he crushed the competiton. You can talk about the Roglic-Pogacar battle of last all you want and how intriguing it was, but I still prefer 2013 or 2015 Tours. This man attacked! From distance. Not sprints. Last year, even if we had a very close GC battle we didn't seen a lot of action.

Everyone said how Jumbo were riding like Sky but they weren't that much. Jumbo were generally riding defensively and relying on time bonuses and the time trial (it worked in Spain, not in France). There was no attacking. Froome's Sky would hit some climbs very aggressively to bury the opposition or at least reduce the contenders to one or two.. When they had a big lead then they defended.

Jumbo should have ridden harder on the crosswind stage when Pogacar was distanced. But they held back so WVA could win the stage. Froome attacked into crosswinds.

I remember a stage from the year Nairo won the Vuelta (2016?) when they went up a large climb (I can't remember which, maybe Covadonga or smt?) Anyways, Froome was dropped surprisingly early but paced himself and overtook everyone except Nairoman in the last few KM. Was entertaining to watch those old Nairo vs Froome battles.

Yeah, he will. But in 3rd grupetto 10 mins down on leaders...

TRENDING THREADS