• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Chris Froome Discussion Thread.

Page 624 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Is Froome over the hill?

• Yes.

Votes: 28 35.0%
  • No, the GC finished 40 minutes ago but Froomie is still climbing it

Votes: 46 57.5%
  • No he is totally winning the Vuelta

Votes: 18 22.5%

• Total voters
No reflective tweets from Chris Froome concerning these two opening stages of the race, but he has posted important news of a Tenerife snowball fight involving him and his team mates last week.
Quite apt really, 'cos he has a snowball in hell's chance of doing anything in Catalunya.

Reactions: topcat
No reflective tweets from Chris Froome concerning these two opening stages of the race, but he has posted important news of a Tenerife snowball fight involving him and his team mates last week.
Quite apt really, 'cos he has a snowball in hell's chance of doing anything in Catalunya.

RHB4VqF.png

I'll be surprised if he finishes the Tour. I expect him to get dropped like a stone on an echelon or short climb early and be out of the picture, ride a bit more with a brave face, then pull out and target the Vuelta, where we'll see basically a repeat of last year.

However, despite being more or less not a Froome fan, particularly in the 2013 - 2015 timeframe, I would love to be surprised and see him contending again. It would be a great storyline and really awesome for the sport, IMO.

Last edited:
I'll be surprised if he finishes the Tour. I expect him to get dropped like a stone on an echelon or short climb early and be out of the picture, ride a bit more with a brave face, then pull out and target the Vuelta, where we'll see basically a repeat of last year.

However, despite being more or less not a Froome van, particularly in the 2013 - 2015 timeframe, I would love to be surprised and see him contending again. It would be a great storyline and really awesome for the sport, IMO.

"Naturally, I’d love to be ready for the Tour de France, but I’ve just got to follow the process and keep doing what we can.”

Sounds like he knows he is still a long way off.

I think the concerning part is that he pretty quickly got to about this level and has now stagnated for over a year, more or less. Hard to believe, but after the devastating June 2019 crash, he was already racing in the UAE Tour in February 2020. Even harder to believe is that he performed about as well then as he did this year.

On Stage 3 of 2020, Pogacar won, coming in 5:00 ahead of Froome
On Stage 5 of 2021, Pogacar won, coming in 5:00 ahead of Froome

Froome finished 2020 in 71st, 19:45 down (5 stages)
Froome finished 2021 in 47th, 22:00 down (7 stages)

I think him getting anywhere near a top 15 at the Tour would be a success for him, but like Savant12 says, I'll wait til the Dauphine and see how he gets on there. If he does well great, if not, so be it, he's not had a bad career. Personally I would like him to get at least top 10 competitive in a big race as being realistic, he ain't gonna win anything big again. I'm happy to be proven wrong though.

Whilst I am not Chris Froomes greatest fan, I do think some of the comments here are a bit disingenuous, he was a champion, he has had a dreadful accident, and he is probably still recovering or maybe he is as good as he will ever be again.. ISN are NOT stupid I have a feeling they knew exactly what they were buying and judging by the amount of coverage Chris is receiving they are getting reasonable value for their Shekel's!

He's totally world tour level. He's just not a contender for any (GT) wins. The bad thing to me is that he and his team have to raise these expectations, because of sponsors at least, if not because they believe in it themselves. If he just said "I am here to work as hard as I can and to give my best and we will see where that leads me" there wouldn't be any need to mock him. I wish that would happen, but I can see why it doesn't.

I dunno, I kind of like the new, humble CF.

I wonder what the real problem physically is? Too many muscles destroyed? Or his old position on the bike isn't sustainable any more? I don't think it's simply "age," as he had a slightly later start than most and had a relatively light (if intense) race schedule during his glory years.

Reactions: VayaVayaVaya