• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Chris Froome Discussion Thread.

Page 625 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Is Froome over the hill?

• Yes.

Votes: 28 35.4%
  • No, the GC finished 40 minutes ago but Froomie is still climbing it

Votes: 45 57.0%
  • No he is totally winning the Vuelta

Votes: 18 22.8%

• Total voters
I dunno, I kind of like the new, humble CF.
Hasn't he always been humble? I can't remember a cocky Froome.

But if I'm being completely honest, in retrospect, I didn't like his interviews last year before the Tour, when he was lying to his fans and cycling fans in general, about how his recovery is going well and how he is on the right path to be ready for 2021 Tour. I'm talking about interviews during the French preparation races before the Tour. Maybe lying is a strong word, but he couldn't possibly really have believed in his own words, could he. I know it was mostly PR talk, but he could have said something like "It'll be very hard to reach the level to be competitive in the Tour, but I'll try my best". Maybe that's just nitpicking, but I found that quite annoying.

Reactions: VayaVayaVaya
It's not looking great and I don't expect any fireworks, but I'm not going to really start looking at his shape until June.

His injury was horrific and they may have to be very careful with how they try build his form and how often he goes deep while improving.

I just hope he gets a day in the sun even if it's out of a break later this year tbh

So some pros are still on titanium rather than carbon fiber ;)
Froome's coach Paulo Saldanha says he is not concerned about his condition because he only focused between December and February on rehabilitation and not on his physical condition on the bike.
He says his balance and strength in his legs are better now than before the accident and that he will improve his fitness in the coming months. We will see in the coming months whether it will really improve or not.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Hasn't he always been humble? I can't remember a cocky Froome.

But if I'm being completely honest, in retrospect, I didn't like his interviews last year before the Tour, when he was lying to his fans and cycling fans in general, about how his recovery is going well and how he is on the right path to be ready for 2021 Tour. I'm talking about interviews during the French preparation races before the Tour. Maybe lying is a strong word, but he couldn't possibly really have believed in his own words, could he. I know it was mostly PR talk, but he could have said something like "It'll be very hard to reach the level to be competitive in the Tour, but I'll try my best". Maybe that's just nitpicking, but I found that quite annoying.
Wasn't he still about to sign a gigantic contract lol?

ISN confirmed the signing at the beginning of July and he apparently signed on August 1st, so before his first race after the lockdown. Also I don't think those interviews moved the needle in negotiations. If they did, then people managing ISN aren't the brightest people. Or maybe they've outsmarted everyone. We'll see.
They have outsmarted nobody. Ineos was happy to let him go. UAE signed a better rider for less money. Seems to me they were outsmarted by everyone.

Why would you expect someone who has clearly communicated on several occasions that his goal is a fifth TdF win, to be on shape for a week long whatever race.

I don't like his racing and I don't believe his palmares is based on a water and bread, but I understand the tactics he has laid out.

And as an atlethe i admire his will and his determination. He has definitly shown that is beyond willing to work for a comeback. And that's a great story and should be respected imo.

I hope he will show up with the possibility to be in the top tier for TdF and hopefully show Roglic & Co. what he is made of.

Chapeau.

Why would you expect someone who has clearly communicated on several occasions that his goal is a fifth TdF win, to be on shape for a week long whatever race.

I don't like his racing and I don't believe his palmares is based on a water and bread, but I understand the tactics he has laid out.

And as an atlethe i admire his will and his determination. He has definitly shown that is beyond willing to work for a comeback. And that's a great story and should be respected imo.

I hope he will show up with the possibility to be in the top tier for TdF and hopefully show Roglic & Co. what he is made of.

Chapeau.
Nobody expect him to compete for the win in Catalunya. But it's not insane to expect him to not regress or something.

Also ofcourse he's gonna talk a big game. Note exactly standard to say "nah I'm done" in your first year of a long term new contract while you're also the highest paid rider in the peloton.

Reactions: Sandisfan
I really questioned ISN's buying last year, that they did not only get themselves a single Froome but a bunch of old riders instead of some young guns in addition at least. But so far it has worked out for them, despite Froome's rather low level. Maybe the Froome-signing really was what they needed to bring themselves into contention as a big player, to attract riders and sponsors. It all depends on whether they will now manage a transition in the next two years or whether it will be a fire which has to burn out soon because it was based on some easily inflammable sticks.

Chapeau.

I respect Cavendish, i.e. a real "racer" who loves cycling & rides for no real big money at Deuckenink, just for the joy of being a pro-cyclist in a good team. He's not lost up his own backside fantasizing about rebecoming the best.

Froome? His insanely inflated contract (highest in world cycling!) & constant bravado rhetoric about getting back into form nullifies all boasts about his "determination" or whatnot. I'm sorry for his fans, but I'm going to assume that's the reality for most people in this world regarding how they'd perceive the former Tour de France champ struggling to even compete in world tour races in 2021 whilst banking that sort of money. Your talk of him showing Roglic & co anything is just... sad. They'd need to watch youtube archives to be impressed.

And what the hell was up with him leading the peloton today in the final 30 km of the stage? Publicity stunt? It looked ridiculous.

Reactions: Koronin and topcat