• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Chris Froome Discussion Thread.

Page 632 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Is Froome over the hill?

• Yes.

Votes: 28 35.0%
  • No, the GC finished 40 minutes ago but Froomie is still climbing it

Votes: 46 57.5%
  • No he is totally winning the Vuelta

Votes: 18 22.5%

• Total voters
Did he still not have plates in his leg during the Vuelta and had them taken out over the winter which would have maybe put his training back a little? I still think he is preparing for his 5th Tour next year. This year is still mega preparation, building up with races. All this racing and dropping out of contention towards the end of stages may well be part of the plan. He's just telling a different story with trolling folk saying he will be targeting the Tour this year. If anything I think he may target a top 10 at the Vuelta later this year and go all out next year. It's a 5 year deal he has with Isreal, not sure they expected him to get his 5th so soon after his accident.

Did he still not have plates in his leg during the Vuelta and had them taken out over the winter which would have maybe put his training back a little? I still think he is preparing for his 5th Tour next year. This year is still mega preparation, building up with races. All this racing and dropping out of contention towards the end of stages may well be part of the plan. He's just telling a different story with trolling folk saying he will be targeting the Tour this year. If anything I think he may target a top 10 at the Vuelta later this year and go all out next year. It's a 5 year deal he has with Isreal, not sure they expected him to get his 5th so soon after his accident.

His 2019 accident is being spoken of in more & more dramatic terms with each race he does.

Next we'll be hearing he survived dismemberment & must be given more time & a longer contract to win the Tour again.

He would have gotten even more training if he tried to hang with the group after getting caught and helped to protect his team leader as best as possible. Not sure if it would have made a difference for Dan, but it would have been better training

How much training does he even need? He raced the entire Vuelta last year & all things considered looked better than he does now.

So the trajectory isn't upwards at all since the Dauphiné crash 2 years ago.

He would never have been able to help Dan Martin much in that situation.

If we take a look at the other riders who were part of the break, Ghebreigzabhier and Valter both lost 4 minutes, Prodhomme and Sanchez 9, Großschartner 13, Roche the same as Froome, and Dina 16. So he certainly wasn't the only one who lost a considerable amount of time in the last 18 km, though I'm not sure for how long they all stayed in the peloton before getting dropped.

Now I don't think Froome will ever be able to ride for the GC in a GT ever again, though I would like for him to get a final crack at a 5th Tour win due to solely nostalgic and historic reasons, and not because I was a fan of him (that ended when he wasn't just a Kenyan entry in the WC ITT any longer). And I fully agree he hasn't been on a steady upward trajectory since his return, but I just think there's a difference between getting dropped on every fairly hard climb, and being in a break with riders who nearly all have been in alright shapes this year, and where they also had to fight a bit, because they never got a huge lead over the peloton.

I also believe from what I have seen, that he also has to measure his powers quite a bit, so that he doesn't overextend himself. Whether that is mostly due to his injury or his age, I can't say.

Reactions: Carrick-On-Seine
Chris said: "...the TdF is the main objective of the season". So is CF trolling CF? ;)
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRzIRnFgjlo

Froome trounced Contador the most popular figure on this forum by a wide margin year after year after year that's the entire origin of the Froome=bad narrative.
That sounds borderline delusional. The reasons for people disliking Froome are as close to 100% about Froome and Sky as imaginable. Might be a tough pill to swallow for Froome fans, but if you really think this is the case, have a candid conversation with some folks that don't like Froome. Back-channel if it helps. The reasons are numerous and they are valid.

That sounds borderline delusional. The reasons for people disliking Froome are as close to 100% about Froome and Sky as imaginable. Might be a tough pill to swallow for Froome fans, but if you really think this is the case, have a candid conversation with some folks that don't like Froome. Back-channel if it helps. The reasons are numerous and they are valid.
If you say that froome should be re-infeted with bilharzia to come back to his best form, do you think that contador must have eaten again some contamined beef in 2013 to comeback to his best form and beat froome?

Reactions: pastronef
If you say that froome should be re-infeted with bilharzia to come back to his best form, do you think that contador must have eaten again some contamined beef in 2013 to comeback to his best form and beat froome?
We can't talk about doping here, but if someone had said that I'd have had a good chuckle. I'm pretty sure someone did say that at some point in another forum... :D

Bilharzia isn't doping. It's Froome's absurd claim about why he was a nobody in the several years of riding before he was the best GT rider of a generation. Reason #12 out of 5000 why people don't like him. He has a long record of attempting to insult our collective intelligence.

Froome trounced Contador the most popular figure on this forum by a wide margin year after year after year that's the entire origin of the Froome=bad narrative.
I feel like if anything, Froome beating Contador made people like him more. Back than I feel like it was 50/50 (La Flo helped a lot with the Contador love and I know his thread started off negative) on who liked Contador and Sky/Froome pushed the like needle in Contador's favor. Heck at a time A. Schleck was more popular than Contador I feel like.

These words from the latest thoughts of Chris Froome are very interesting : 'I’m not seeing the same numbers in training, but I’ve just got to trust in the process'.

Do you all remember when ISN owner Sylvan Adams was celebrating Froome's signature and telling the world the rider's numbers were proof of his inevitable return to top form?

He credited ISN's performance director Paulo Saldanha - an ex Ironman athlete - with giving the thumbs up.

These are his words at the time : “He has all the power files for all the riders we work with and are considering signing. We had all Chris’s data and he is well on his was back."

Many dismissed this as hype and marketing guff at the time and are probably correct.

As for Froome, current evidence is he has plateaued - remember he was back in the World Tour in February, 2020 - and this is as good as he's ever going to be.

I hope I am wrong.

Reactions: jmdirt and SHAD0W93
Froome wasn't at 100% during most of the Vuelta 2014 because of the injuries.
Contador ended in the right time his career with a great victory on angliru. Froome should retire in the end of the season if he continues with no progression.

Neither was Contador coming off his TdF injury. Selective memory for Froome fans?

Quit making excuses. They were two of the greatest we’ve ever seen.

These words from the latest thoughts of Chris Froome are very interesting : 'I’m not seeing the same numbers in training, but I’ve just got to trust in the process'.

Do you all remember when ISN owner Sylvan Adams was celebrating Froome's signature and telling the world the rider's numbers were proof of his inevitable return to top form?

He credited ISN's performance director Paulo Saldanha - an ex Ironman athlete - with giving the thumbs up.

These are his words at the time : “He has all the power files for all the riders we work with and are considering signing. We had all Chris’s data and he is well on his was back."

Many dismissed this as hype and marketing guff at the time and are probably correct.

As for Froome, current evidence is he has plateaued - remember he was back in the World Tour in February, 2020 - and this is as good as he's ever going to be.

I hope I am wrong.
2 different things. One thing is the threeshold lactate test where he can push his best numbers. Other thing is the numbers that he is capable of in training. But like i said, i see no progression, i'm a big fan of froome, but he should retire in the end of the season, i don't want to see him in breakaways or being dropped in every stages.

I hope I am wrong.
We are repeating ourselves for the last year and a half now, but...let's see how he does in the next race. And then the next, and then the next...

What intriges me more is that he had actually some
decent showings in the Vuelta last season. Either is preparation is wrong or his base physical level is also decresing due to aging.
Anyway, at this rate I can't really seem him fighting for a top10 in a Grand Tour. Try to win a final stage would be his best chance but even that will be really hard if sometging doesn't change.

What intriges me more is that he had actually some
decent showings in the Vuelta last season. Either is preparation is wrong or his base physical level is also decresing due to aging.
Anyway, at this rate I can't really seem him fighting for a top10 in a Grand Tour. Try to win a final stage would be his best chance but even that will be really hard if sometging doesn't change.

I think his Vuelta showing was pure grit, determination and wanting to give something back to the team. I think those efforts took a lot out of him as I don't think his body was properly adjusted post-injury to those hard efforts and ultimately, it set his rehabilitation back a bit.

TRENDING THREADS