• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Chris Froome Discussion Thread.

Page 648 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Is Froome over the hill?

• Yes.

Votes: 28 35.0%
  • No, the GC finished 40 minutes ago but Froomie is still climbing it

Votes: 46 57.5%
  • No he is totally winning the Vuelta

Votes: 18 22.5%

• Total voters
Hmmm. How about everything he ever said about Bilharzia. All his declarations of form since his return. When he was and wasn't sick. Many other things which can't be discussed in this forum. I've not seen a more disingenuous cyclist since Armstrong. His default mode is anything but straightforward or transparent.

Of course one is free to believe him, but after all of the lies coming from him and his handlers over the years, I don't take anything he says at face value. The video he posted at/after Romandie was the latest PR salvo, containing little truth and a lot of narrative.

What he said that was a lie about bilharzia? anyway Bilharzia just was a problem during half a year. He showed high level lot of times before Bilharzia.

What he said that was a lie about bilharzia? anyway Bilharzia just was a problem during half a year. He showed high level lot of times before Bilharzia.
Well see that's the confusing part. He had it. Then he didn't. Then he had it again. It was cured the first time, then after multiple times. It affected him for some races then didn't for others. It was cured in Kenya, then somewhere else. He found out about it different times in different stories.

Anyway, it seems you're not as up on the history there as many of us. No worries. Suffice it to say there's no chance someone who changed their story that number of times is telling the truth.

But no point in hashing through all that. If you want to believe the guy, enjoy.

Reactions: Froome
Source:

lGrpf7U.png
E2yNhzwWQAEG0mE
Pretty ironic that it says 'reinvent.com' on the team buys behind him, wouldn't you agree? xD

Reactions: Jungle Cycle
Are you really comparing froome with Armstrong? Are you really comparing the biggest jerk in the history of cycling that bullyed so many people with froome? Are you really serious? If you don't like froome, that's fine, but stop comparing froome with a jerk like armstrong.
Now, talking about froome's shape, obviously he isn't good, if you saw in the last video on youtube, you can see that reto hollenstein were better than him on climbing that wall of 2 km at 17% that they were talking about as "the most steepest climb in the world. So if reto hollenstein is faster than you, of course you are in a bad shape.
Like i said, froome should retire in the end of the season (la Vuelta) if there no improvements until then but comparing froome with armstrong....it's too much.
I said he's the most disingenuous rider since Armstrong and I stand by that 100%. Did I say he was as much of a jerk? No. That he bullied anyone? No. But he's certainly lied extensively, and it reminds me of the level of lying that Armstrong did. Quick critical thinking tip, comparisons are not meant to be equivalencies. I drew a comparison on one aspect of his persona.

Further, the willingness of his fans to swallow his drivel is quite reminiscent of the Armstrong phenomenon. Logic goes out the window with fandom. And no, I don't like him. I don't like his ungainly riding "style", I don't like how Sky approached the sport and launched their PR campaigns to gloss over what they were doing, and I don't like people (Froome, Sky, etc.) who insult my intelligence. I didn't like the way the team rode the races into the ground, just like US Postal used to. It was boring when Postal did it and it was worse when Sky did it because Froome just so utterly lacked any style on the bike. Hideous riding. A bane to the sport.

If it's too much for you, just skip my posts.

I don't really get the calls for retirement or why anyone cares that he soaked ISN for that absurd contract. Ride on, make your money in the grupetto like you did pre-Vuelta 2011. But the irrational reactions of his fans to his daily drama and his absurd excuses does warrant comment and a good chuckle from me, so don't expect it to stop as long as folks continue to lap up his comments in this thread. It's a fascinating phenomenon to me.

I said he's the most disingenuous rider since Armstrong and I stand by that 100%. Did I say he was as much of a jerk? No. That he bullied anyone? No. But he's certainly lied extensively, and it reminds me of the level of lying that Armstrong did. Quick critical thinking tip, comparisons are not meant to be equivalencies. I drew a comparison on one aspect of his persona.

Further, the willingness of his fans to swallow his drivel is quite reminiscent of the Armstrong phenomenon. Logic goes out the window with fandom. And no, I don't like him. I don't like his ungainly riding "style", I don't like how Sky approached the sport and launched their PR campaigns to gloss over what they were doing, and I don't like people (Froome, Sky, etc.) who insult my intelligence. I didn't like the way the team rode the races into the ground, just like US Postal used to. It was boring when Postal did it and it was worse when Sky did it because Froome just so utterly lacked any style on the bike. Hideous riding. A bane to the sport.

If it's too much for you, just skip my posts.

I don't really get the calls for retirement or why anyone cares that he soaked ISN for that absurd contract. Ride on, make your money in the grupetto like you did pre-Vuelta 2011. But the irrational reactions of his fans to his daily drama and his absurd excuses does warrant comment and a good chuckle from me, so don't expect it to stop as long as folks continue to lap up his comments in this thread. It's a fascinating phenomenon to me.
He has never lies. When has he lie?

Reactions: Sandisfan
Well see that's the confusing part. He had it. Then he didn't. Then he had it again. It was cured the first time, then after multiple times. It affected him for some races then didn't for others. It was cured in Kenya, then somewhere else. He found out about it different times in different stories.

Anyway, it seems you're not as up on the history there as many of us. No worries. Suffice it to say there's no chance someone who changed their story that number of times is telling the truth.

But no point in hashing through all that. If you want to believe the guy, enjoy.

Well, perhaps if he fails miserably in the Dauphine he can say that his bilharzia came back.

Think it's way over-the-top to close this thread. People still want to talk about Froome and he is still a professional cyclist. Closing it will only send more Froome talk towards the races he does ride or even the Ineos thread (even though he doesn't ride there anymore a link will easily be drawn). This thread will die down again once he isn't in a race. At some point people will get tired of pointing out that Froome is riding bad anyway.

Last edited:
Well, analysing his year and his last words, we have to wait till the end of Dauophine to get a better conclusion.
It is a fact he has lost weight. You see that just to see him compared other races.
He said we will see his progression on the big mountains, that he is not worried about the time he lost the second stage.
If we look his result this year. First stage Cataluña, very bad, a stage no so hard as second stage in Daupohine he lost 8 30 minutes and he was 96.
In first stage of Tour of the Alps, similar, the climb of the circuit was quite soft and he lost 5 minutes and he was 115 th
Froome didnt lost anything the first stage in Dauohine, wich had a similar profil to the first in T d Alps. and he lost just 3 minutes in the second, a quite hard stage...
So, one thing is clear, he has STARTED Dauphine MUCH BETTER than those races
After that, in the big mountains, Froome was 51th in Cataluña, and he was in a break in T des Alps, much better than at the begining.

So, we have to wait till the big mountains to see if Froome has improved a little. Acording his start in Dauphine, compared to other start of this year, he has improved.

Maybe we see today something in the ITT, although he is focused on the mountains. His best result in an ITT is 80th after his crash, in a race will less riders than here...so, everything better than 80th, it would be an improvement, and more if we consider his bad ITTs at Romandie.

Last edited:

I dont Know what are you talking about. He had bilharzia, He was detected in Kenia, He did much better result than this year with Bilharzia. He is not sure if he got bilharzia before. All of that is proven, If you want I give you the name of the doctor in Kenya who detected it. Butr the important fact to his better performance in la Vuelta compared to some result one year before is not bilharzia, and it is something he had explained lot of times. He was in the UCI time as one of the riders with better potential of the world. He had 10 kilos more than when won his first Tour. He wojn with that weight and with little experience in competitive cycling a stage in Tour of Japan and another in Giro delle Regione... and no for his high speed in the sprint.

Think it's way over-the-top to close this thread. People still want to talk about Froome and he is still a professional cyclist. Closing it will only send more Froome talk towards the races he does ride or even the Ineos thread (even though he doesn't ride there anymore a link will easily be drawn). This thread will die down again once he isn't in a race. At some point people will get tired of pointing out that Froome is riding bad anyway.

I hope you know it was a joke, right?

I dont Know what are you talking about. He had bilharzia, He was detected in Kenia, He did much better result than this year with Bilharzia. He is not sure if he got bilharzia before. All of that is proven, If you want I give you the name of the doctor in Kenya who detected it. Butr the important fact to his better performance in la Vuelta compared to some result one year before is not bilharzia, and it is something he had explained lot of times. He was in the UCI time as one of the riders with better potential of the world. He had 10 kilos more than when won his first Tour. He wojn with that weight and with little experience in competitive cycling a stage in Tour of Japan and another in Giro delle Regione... and no for his high speed in the sprint.

Don't forget that great result he had in the Anatomic Jock Strap Race!

Don't forget that great result he had in the Anatomic Jock Strap Race!
Later, with Barloworld, he got very good result according to his handicaps then. For me, as surprising as Van der Poel or Van aert have got this years..becouse you cant compere just results. If you came from Africa with little experience and over weight, you work for soler and you are one of the best in Mont Faron you show you are really good for this sport.

Maybe, but He insisted he is here testing his progression on the mountains...so I dont think he put his best tomorrow. If he expect to do something in Tour de France, maybe he should concebtrate topmorrow rto do a good test...But I dont think so. To improve his ITT in Romandie looks easy,, anyway, and I hope for a top 70.
Like what? Finishing in the main group once, or maybe even twice!? I say it's not impossible, but it will be damn hard :tearsofjoy:

Since it's not possible to close the thread, how about changing the title. How about a poll on the new title with the following options:
  1. The goat broke loose
  2. The diaries of Anne Froome
  3. If my aunt had balls, ...
  4. Flogging a dead horse
  5. Is it a satellite or a space station? No it's Chris Froome.
  6. Stay little valentine, stay.
  7. Don't give up on a good thing.
  8. The darkest hour is before the dawn.
  9. Oh ye of little faith.
  10. I've been to paradise, but I've never been to Kenya.

• Wow

TRENDING THREADS