• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Chris Froome Discussion Thread.

Page 651 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Is Froome over the hill?

• Yes.

Votes: 28 35.0%
  • No, the GC finished 40 minutes ago but Froomie is still climbing it

Votes: 46 57.5%
  • No he is totally winning the Vuelta

Votes: 18 22.5%

• Total voters
Thank you. Addresses one of the questions to me above. One comment one could easily dismiss as hopeful. It's been a constant stream of inaccurate comments for over a year.
Certainly sometimes he repeted the same thing over and over again, or didn't tell the true about his recovery but ultimately he already said that he didn't know when he will be at great level, and he showed some analysis of the quads and hamstrings i think, showing that he didn't recover at 100% yet.

My point was that if Froome didn't crash he would likely be right at the front, people often say age is the issue but looking at Porte and other riders who were worse than Froome before the crash it suggest Froome would have been fine.

the problem is that 2020's particularities might have skewed people's vision on Porte.
I think Porte might have overperformed whilst having underperformed when in BMC.

"Things did not always go to plan. Riding for Kenya in the 2006 Under-23 World Time Trial Championships in Austria after hacking the official federation's email account so he could enter himself, he arrived at the event on his own as rider, team manager and mechanic, rolled down the start ramp... and crashed into an official on the first corner. Even so, he still finished 36th." - BBC sport

"Froome used Mwangi’s email login to surreptitiously enter himself for the UCI Road World Championships. It was a sneaky move but it paid off massively. A good showing at the race meant he was picked up by South African team Konica-Minolta, and the following season he secured a spot on the Barloworld Team (alongside Geraint Thomas), along with a call-up for the Tour de France in what was only his second season as a pro."

Thanks. Never been a big Froome guy but that article makes me like him more.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Vuelta 2013 champ Chris Horner is worse than us! Here's his latest Chris Froome pile-in after yesterday's time trial :
"He had a nightmare of a TT. 16k is not a very long TT. Chris Froome will take off from the ramp and get caught by his minute man. Froome will finish 2 minutes at least down.
"It's a nightmare scenario for ISN. Four time TdF winner, Giro, Vuelta winner, man we are talking about a legend here and he just keeps going bad.
"The first 3 stages went bad and today's TT.
"This is what he does. He's a big guy, powering through these 16k should be no problem and he's just losing more and more time.
"There's absolutely no doubt in my mind there's no way he'll be ready to take start at the TdF.
"Some people have asked should he switch and take stage wins at the TdF. He doesn't have the legs to even be in a breakaway and win from the breakaway, certainly he won't be capable of riding for GC.
"In my mind if ISN have a very solid eighth rider I don't think Froome should even be at this TdF.
"A heartbreak for us fans. We'd love to see Froome up there battling it out for a chance of winning a record 5th TdF, but I don't see it happening.
"At this point in time he's going to have to focus on his health, his recovery and I'd bring him in for races further down when his form is better and then bring him to the bigger races.
"You gotta believe ISN have other guys who can take his place, that could possibly win stages or help someone like Michael Woods when we get into the deep mountains at the TdF.
"I just don't see where Froome can be any kind of help for ISN at the TdF"

Vuelta 2013 champ Chris Horner is worse than us! Here's his latest Chris Froome pile-in after yesterday's time trial :
"He had a nightmare of a TT. 16k is not a very long TT. Chris Froome will take off from the ramp and get caught by his minute man. Froome will finish 2 minutes at least down.
"It's a nightmare scenario for ISN. Four time TdF winner, Giro, Vuelta winner, man we are talking about a legend here and he just keeps going bad.
"The first 3 stages went bad and today's TT.
"This is what he does. He's a big guy, powering through these 16k should be no problem and he's just losing more and more time.
"There's absolutely no doubt in my mind there's no way he'll be ready to take start at the TdF.
"Some people have asked should he switch and take stage wins at the TdF. He doesn't have the legs to even be in a breakaway and win from the breakaway, certainly he won't be capable of riding for GC.
"In my mind if ISN have a very solid eighth rider I don't think Froome should even be at this TdF.
"A heartbreak for us fans. We'd love to see Froome up there battling it out for a chance of winning a record 5th TdF, but I don't see it happening.
"At this point in time he's going to have to focus on his health, his recovery and I'd bring him in for races further down when his form is better and then bring him to the bigger races.
"You gotta believe ISN have other guys who can take his place, that could possibly win stages or help someone like Michael Woods when we get into the deep mountains at the TdF.
"I just don't see where Froome can be any kind of help for ISN at the TdF"
Yes that was a very fair assesment of what's going on. He's not a vulture of any kind, he seemed genuinely sorry to see Froome in such a condition but it is what it is and everyone should stop pretending he could be getting better anytime soon (or ever).

As for attending low profile races - well if he does that the ISN gets zero publicity. That's why the're not going to do that...

Doesn't mean if 2020 was normal he had performed as well as he did.
Neither does it mean if 2017/2018 were like 2020 he wouldn't have performed better.

As I said, 2020's particularities might have being skewing opinions.

He got through the 2020 Tour without any major hiccups for once, didnt crash, didnt get sick. Thats a big part of finishing 3rd. If, say a Quintana, Buchmann, Bernal or Pinot made it in top shape to Paris, he could have finished 7th and we would think finally he has managed to ride a decent, accident free GT but his 7th place indicates how he unfortunately is past his best now.