• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Chris Froome Discussion Thread.

Page 660 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Is Froome over the hill?

• Yes.

Votes: 26 34.7%
  • No, the GC finished 40 minutes ago but Froomie is still climbing it

Votes: 42 56.0%
  • No he is totally winning the Vuelta

Votes: 18 24.0%

• Total voters
Obviously the headline is about winning stages but the actual comments about fetching bottles seem slightly more realistic

“Obviously the dream scenario for me would be to try and go for a result on a stage, or something like that, but that’s very much secondary at the moment. The first goal is looking after Woodsy and keeping him out of trouble. You can definitely expect to see me fetching some bottles over the next few weeks.”

Froome echoed his team director Rik Verbrugghe, who argued the Tour de France could also serve as a sort of training exercise. Froome, who has just completed a two-week training camp in the French Alps, himself did not mention the possibility of riding the Vuelta a España later in the season but nevertheless said he hoped the Tour would help him make the next step in his recovery.

“I’m going to be trying to soak up as much as I can in terms of that racing I’ve missed the last couple of years – that intensity. I really hope that at least by being there I’m going to be able to use that to lift me up to being much closer to where I need to be.”

Reactions: IndianCyclist
He posted a video today on his youtube channel. Fetching bottles and getting some miles seems to be the main objective. Trying to win a stage would be fantastic, but not very realistic.

However, the most interisting part of the video is when he's showing the diferent screens on his GPS in the middle of a training ride. His average Left-to-Right power ratio was 51-49!

However, the most interisting part of the video is when he's showing the diferent screens on his GPS in the middle of a training ride. His average Left-to-Right power ratio was 51-49!
Well, that average left/right power ratio was just from a very, very short, 200 m long lapped section (it's not the avg value from those over 3h he's ridden to that point), where his avg power was 190 W (which means he was barely pushing the pedals).

So that tellls us basically nothing about his actual left/right leg power ratio and about that where he is in terms of dealing with the legs power imbalance issue.

froomey.png

Reactions: Sandisfan
Damn it! I didn't notice the distance of the lap.

I guess he's really turning into an influencer, not showing real life.
I was about to write that he might've done it intentionally to show this almost a perfect value of power distribution between the legs to give a message it's a not problem for him anymore, as probably 90% of people (just like you) wouldn't notice it's just from a 200 m stretch.
But then I thought it could be a little bit too rude from myself to assume he's done something like that... ;)

Anyway, I find all these videos from him a little bit cringy. Like it's just a PR thing to improve his image, while it's done in such an obvious and artificial way, that makes it hard to belive in a single word from him.

Last edited:
Well, that average left/right power ratio was just from a very, very short, 200 m long lapped section (it's not the avg value from those over 3h he's ridden to that point), where his avg power was 190 W (which means he was barely pushing the pedals).

So that tellls us basically nothing about his actual left/right leg power ratio and about that where he is in terms of dealing with the legs power imbalance issue.

froomey.png

Froome is literally an investor in Hammerhead, i.e. his above bike computer manufacturer. He's not very subtle.

Sadly Chris won’t ever compete at the business end of a grand tour again, it’s a sad way to go out, I would have preferred the new generation to destroy him on the climbs because he got older and slower, not because of the injuries from the crash

Although I bet he really wants to pull a proverbial rabbit out of a hat & feed his hunger for success.

i.e. wink wink, nudge nudge etc. ;)

I am fully expecting more PR garbage from the Froome camp throughput the TDF. After which it will be the PR excuse garbage.
At the same time, it was a horrific injury, he has put in tremendous effort to come back. Only if he were honest about the situation, a lot of people would support.
Why he wasn't? He already said that will not win the tour. This hostility against him is this thread is getting a lot ridiculous, this is getting to a point where froome is gonna breathe and everybody will criticize him for that. Nobody feels more bad than him for the fact that he isn't improving his shape, he's working hard to improve, and he already improved a lot since he couldn't barely walk one year ago, let the guy try.... he's got the right to decide when he needs to stop, he's got nothing to prove, look at his palmares. The easy way for him was retire, but he is trying, people should respect that.

I really think you’re missing the point here: I’m not sure what the equivalent saying is in other languages, but in American english Froome’s recent communications make him a classic “snake oil salesman.” He is promoting something he wants to sell by making his “product” sound appealing while knowing he is mis-representing the reality. Even when he’s suggesting he’s being humble and acknowledging his problems there’s always some some veneer disguising g the reality. Sure, we’ll see him fetch a few bottles when the cameras are on him during the Tour, but that will just cover for the fact that he’s not going to be a very helpful domestique if he’s suffering to get over climbs and stay with the main group.

We have not seen any evidence of it yet! It appears you might have blind faith.
The same blind than indian cyclist when he say he is not honest.
For sure I dont jnow what will happend..I have faith it will happens. But I cant understand to say that is imposible, he is not honest... That suck...he is traying and he is convinced..you can have another opinion, but it is just your own opinion...

I'm sure Froome still has problems with core stability, difference in power between left and right leg etc. It is inconceivable that after two years revalidation, training and competition, he still does not reach a level, regardless of age. At his age, with his talent, he must still be able to put the opponents to the fire. Winning the tour is definitely not in it now. Healthy, he could end in the top 10. It is also strange that his level has not improved at all in recent months.

I'm sure Froome still has problems with core stability, difference in power between left and right leg etc. It is inconceivable that after two years revalidation, training and competition, he still does not reach a level, regardless of age. At his age, with his talent, he must still be able to put the opponents to the fire. Winning the tour is definitely not in it now. Healthy, he could end in the top 10. It is also strange that his level has not improved at all in recent months.
He made a lot of mistakes last year. He started on the bike to soon when he couldn't barely walk and his right leg muscules were with a lot of imbalances.

Why he wasn't? He already said that will not win the tour. This hostility against him is this thread is getting a lot ridiculous, this is getting to a point where froome is gonna breathe and everybody will criticize him for that. Nobody feels more bad than him for the fact that he isn't improving his shape, he's working hard to improve, and he already improved a lot since he couldn't barely walk one year ago, let the guy try.... he's got the right to decide when he needs to stop, he's got nothing to prove, look at his palmares. The easy way for him was retire, but he is trying, people should respect that.
Over a year ago (April13, 2020) he is quoted as saying, "The recovery's going really well. I'd go as far as saying it's pretty much complete.". You're saying he could barely walk. Which is it? The two statements are incompatible.

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/ch...-as-saying-my-recoverys-pretty-much-complete/

The statement is also totally inconsistent with someone who is being honest or remotely realistic about the state of his recovery and fitness. It implies he’s nearly at his former level 14 months ago.

Reactions: Carols and brrrrrr
Over a year ago (April13, 2020) he is quoted as saying, "The recovery's going really well. I'd go as far as saying it's pretty much complete.". You're saying he could barely walk. Which is it? The two statements are incompatible.

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/ch...-as-saying-my-recoverys-pretty-much-complete/

The statement is also totally inconsistent with someone who is being honest or remotely realistic about the state of his recovery and fitness. It implies he’s nearly at his former level 14 months ago.
He couldn't barely walk 1 year ago, there's some videos showing that, but at the same time he could train on the bike, so he thought that he was recovered to compete on a bike, but obviously not, his muscles were full of imbalances, he should have just focus on rehab and gymn in 2020 not on the bike.

Because in April 2020, he didn't know this would happen .....

“I went to have some scans done straight after the Vuelta and we found that one of the screws was actually piercing through the bone and potentially causing a bit of a grating sensation on the muscle as I was cycling.”

• Wow

TRENDING THREADS