• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Chris Froome Discussion Thread.

Page 662 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Is Froome over the hill?

• Yes.

Votes: 26 35.1%
  • No, the GC finished 40 minutes ago but Froomie is still climbing it

Votes: 42 56.8%
  • No he is totally winning the Vuelta

Votes: 17 23.0%

• Total voters
Well, you can't fault the warrior attitude, but his further presence in the race doesn't make sense considering the stated objective before the Tour (i.e. build his form again for the latter part of the season & for next year).

Riding around France all bruised & banged-up is the exact opposite of that, even without fractures. Just look at what happened to Thibaut Pinot last year (when he continued after his day one crash & worsened his back condition for no reason).

Current aim is to survive until the time trial it seems

“It’s pretty swollen and pretty painful, it hurts when I stand up but it’s alright,” Froome said post-stage beyond the finish area before riding down to his Israel Start-Up Nation team bus.

“I was able to get through today and if I take it one day at a time, I can try and survive until the time trial. Then I can maybe take it as a recovery day. I hope to come round and give more to the team over the next week.”

Sunday evening will be busy with more medical and physio treatment to ease his pain.

“I’m going to spend time with my physio and with some ice to try to bring the swelling down. I’ll get my feet up and take it as easy as possible,” he said.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Good day for him today. He lost just 2 minutes and avoided crashes. Hope the same for tomorrow and take easy the ITT. After that, he will be ready to show his current level

Unfortunately Chris Froome will be negatively effected by these injuries for the next three weeks.
The TdF is no place, in fact the last place, where a cyclist can recover from such trauma.

If this had been the Froome of yesteryear, I believe he would have already abandoned in order to recover and heal for future aspirations. I wonder if his desire to continue on is inspired on knowing this could be it, the final tour and wants to go down swinging?

Of course prime froome can fight with pogi and roglic, a guy who has a ftp of 6.4 w/kg can fight with everybody. And froome in his prime would be more faster today than 7 seven or 8 years ago, because the nutrition and training evolved.
The question is, can froome back to his best? Very difficult.

He was working today at the front of the peloton. It was nice to see that after his crash. I though these days he was to be quite, till the ITT..but that is good signal. He will be strong at the end of le Tour...not at his best level, but maybe he can fight for an stage.
It was good to see Cavendisg winning today. You need luck for that..becouse today Ewan wanst there, but the same could happen for Froome in the future...hwe will need luck, but even to win le Tour wont be impossible.
Today Mas is in better situation to win le Tour than Roglic..so luck is important.

Unfortunately Chris Froome will be negatively effected by these injuries for the next three weeks.
The TdF is no place, in fact the last place, where a cyclist can recover from such trauma.
He was working today and he lost less than one minute. He can relax some times, it is not the same than if you fight for GC...if you fight for GC and you crash...you can forget about to win... But Froome can relax some days and after that ro be at the expected level... he dont have anything very important...with a rest day he will be ok.
If you look at the peloton, more than a half were afected by crashes.

Reactions: Koronin
Can a road captain ever relax?
Of course if he is damaged by a crash and his main objetive is to recover his best shape after important injuries.

I mean it is not the same situation than Tony Martin. Anyway, he is workinng as well.

Today I hope he use the day as rest day, so he will be one of the last one in the ITT, just trying to be on time.
But anyway I hope see him out of the last 10 worse times...

TRENDING THREADS