• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Chris Froome Discussion Thread.

Page 672 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Is Froome over the hill?

• Yes.

Votes: 26 35.1%
  • No, the GC finished 40 minutes ago but Froomie is still climbing it

Votes: 42 56.8%
  • No he is totally winning the Vuelta

Votes: 17 23.0%

• Total voters
Of course not. You said is impossible, I say not. He is in a recovery process. He could get a similar level to the past or maybe not. I have never said he reached that level in Slovakia. He is far from it. But he has showed a good level, wich indicates his recovery process is in progress. No as fast as he thought, but the possibility to reach that level next year is there. Just the possibility. You say no, it is impossible... I dont know how you know... I just dont know. It is hard and it is not for all people, but if someone has that mental strength, is Froome. Step by step. If he doesn't got it, at least he would have try it, and all the things he get in the way, as to help his team to get an stage as the same time he get a decent GC, will have a big merit.

Something is stirring in the world of Christopher Clive Froome OBE.
Firstly he tweets for the first time since that devastating crash that he has "strong legs" while enjoying a training rider.
Secondly, he tweets "nice to find some good legs," referring to his Slovenia performance.
He would not go out on a once-fractured limb to make these bold claims if his form was not returning.
He knows he is out there to be a shot at if he cannot back-up his claims.
Next season prepare to witness a Froome totally transformed, a 'transfroomeation' if you like, from the shell of himself we have had to endure for the past two seasons.

Fight for what? Lanterne Rouge?
I always think it's funny when people like you post some comments making fun of froome, it sounds so ridiculous, it makes you happy that a rider that suffered a so serious crash that could end is life, and is trying everything to comeback to his best in the situation that he is lately?! Shame on you man.
People should respect the fact that he is trying to comeback to his best after almost dying, they should look to him as a example for our lifes, that we should never give up, and we need to do everything we can in our life goals, but you prefer to make fun of him, and why?! Because he beated in the past your favorite riders?! I don't know, just a supposition.
Remember on thing, he could end is career after the crash, he's got nothing to prove, 4 tours, 2 Vueltas, 1 giro, you can all make fun of that.

I always think it's funny when people like you post some comments making fun of froome, it sounds so ridiculous, it makes you happy that a rider that suffered a so serious crash that could end is life, and is trying everything to comeback to his best in the situation that he is lately?! Shame on you man.
People should respect the fact that he is trying to comeback to his best after almost dying, they should look to him as a example for our lifes, that we should never give up, and we need to do everything we can in our life goals, but you prefer to make fun of him, and why?! Because he beated in the past your favorite riders?! I don't know, just a supposition.
Remember on thing, he could end is career after the crash, he's got nothing to prove, 4 tours, 2 Vueltas, 1 giro, you can all make fun of that.
I'm not making fun of him nor have I ever made fun of his comeback. Same with many others that post on here. The thing that is being made fun of is the belief he can comeback and compete for GC at a Grand Tour or that he is getting better in form. The fact is, he is more likely to compete for Lanterne Rouge then he is a top 50 in GC at the Tour.

I have said it is great he was able to ride and comeback from his horrible crash and injury. The only thing I don't like about his comeback is how much money he got from Israel (though fair to him and not his fault, get the money while and when you can), the constant saying by him that he is getting better, and all of his fans who keep saying he is going to be back to compete. It is great to have hope in who you like to come back, but the reality is he has shown nothing at all that he can compete for a stage race GC, let alone the Tour. He will be 37 next year. He has finished inside the top 50 5 times this year. What improvement has he been having?

Yes, he is a 6(7) time Grand Tour champion and that should be respected. No matter the dark side.

I think you should relax, you're too emotional, which ends up with you reading something that wasn't written (by most).

Reactions: gunara
I follow the debate with interest, sometimes thinking 'that's harsh', sometimes finding it amusing.
Personally I think great champions earn the right to keep going or retire when they want.
I quite like Gilbert and Nibali are still continuing to ride .
To get to the top the you need ultimate faith in your ability and Froome has demonstrated this right throughout his career, if he believes he can win again one day so be it.

I follow the debate with interest, sometimes thinking 'that's harsh', sometimes finding it amusing.
Personally I think great champions earn the right to keep going or retire when they want.
I quite like Gilbert and Nibali are still continuing to ride .
To get to the top the you need ultimate faith in your ability and Froome has demonstrated this right throughout his career, if he believes he can win again one day so be it.
Yeah but to get paid so much for so little result on the road.
Gilbert and Nibali don't approach Dawg's paycheck.

That salary (the highest in cycling until recently, I believe) & those stated goals (winning a 5th Tour) are probably 80% of the reason "why" Froome gets banter online.

This isn't a rider who is admired as a former champ attempting to overcome an injury, rediscover some form & compete, no, he's a guy who gets paid a small fortune & wants people to swallow a constant flow of casual enormities, i.e. constant, constant talk of how close he is to getting back to his best (which he even stated... last year). He even made a youtube video titled "Chris hits back". All talk of course.

Does Nibali talk about winning the Tour de France or Giro again? No. Does he constantly post updates about his form & legs to make fans & his team believe? No.

Froome basically doesn't do himself any favors, at all (he even blocks banter Twitter accounts which take the p*ss, i.e. stuff like "has Froome been dropped yet?", which is totally petty).

Next season prepare to witness a Froome totally transformed, a 'transfroomeation' if you like, from the shell of himself we have had to endure for the past two seasons.
“Had to endure”? It’s been the best 2 seasons in recent memory, the sport filling up with incredible young riders battling and taking tactical risks. The last thing the sport needs is a return to the life-sucking, stem-gazing, and horrific style of Froome.

“Had to endure”? It’s been the best 2 seasons in recent memory, the sport filling up with incredible young riders battling and taking tactical risks. The last thing the sport needs is a return to the life-sucking, stem-gazing, and horrific style of Froome.
Yeah, it's a horrific style attacking at 80 km from the finish in a mountain stage of a grand tour.
He wasn't the most spetacular rider ever, but he had his moments.

Reactions: sworks
That salary (the highest in cycling until recently, I believe) & those stated goals (winning a 5th Tour) are probably 80% of the reason "why" Froome gets banter online.

This isn't a rider who is admired as a former champ attempting to overcome an injury, rediscover some form & compete, no, he's a guy who gets paid a small fortune & wants people to swallow a constant flow of casual enormities, i.e. constant, constant talk of how close he is to getting back to his best (which he even stated... last year). He even made a youtube video titled "Chris hits back". All talk of course.

Does Nibali talk about winning the Tour de France or Giro again? No. Does he constantly post updates about his form & legs to make fans & his team believe? No.

Froome basically doesn't do himself any favors, at all (he even blocks banter Twitter accounts which take the p*ss, i.e. stuff like "has Froome been dropped yet?", which is totally petty).

this account ???
View: https://twitter.com/froomedropped/status/1319994571632291841?s=20

not a big success, an account who didn't tweet since october 2020......how do you know? no tweet about that in his 5 tweets.. is it one of your accounts? i hope that you haven't cried too much:rolleyes:

this account ???
View: https://twitter.com/froomedropped/status/1319994571632291841?s=20

not a big success, an account who didn't tweet since october 2020......how do you know? no tweet about that in his 5 tweets.. is it one of your accounts? i hope that you haven't cried too much:rolleyes:

Ouch, you might have sunk my battleship... except no, you totally missed the mark.

It's this Twitter account (actually followed by Benji Naesen from Lantern Rouge because is was funny):

Has Froome Been Dropped Yet? (@FroomeHas) / Twitter

And no, not my account. I can have a laugh for a minute or so at the situation surrounding Froome's current condition but after a while it gets boring real fast, i.e. a situation created by 3 concordant delusional groups of varying levels of honesty & dishonesty: his team because they talked him up & gave him a massive Tour winning salary whilst labelling him the "Lionel Messi of cycling" (true quote, look it up), his fans for actually believing he can get back to his level again (& fanatically fighting his critics & "nonbelievers" just to prove their fandom) & Froome himself for fuelling it all... whilst also taking himself way, way too seriously.

It's just a bike race & Froome is just a former champ who has permanently lost his legs & level as a result of Sky waving goodbye, his age & also his injury. That should have been the end of the story right there & you know what? Lots of people (even those who hated him) might have rooted for the guy, but no, he had to ruin everything for himself with a barrage of outrageous claims surrounding his form which in realty only further dupes his own fans.

It's pretty much impossible to cheer for this guy based on what he was (i.e. including the "how" he won & "who" he won with) & what he's become.

TRENDING THREADS