• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Chris Froome Discussion Thread.

Page 678 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Is Froome over the hill?

• Yes.

Votes: 26 35.1%
  • No, the GC finished 40 minutes ago but Froomie is still climbing it

Votes: 42 56.8%
  • No he is totally winning the Vuelta

Votes: 17 23.0%

• Total voters
He showed a good level in all these last races. He was 100 Km on Lombardia in the first 5 position of the peloton, even when Jumbo acelerates, he did a hard climb up there, and he was pulling sometimes before at Ghisallo....He was working for other people of his team. Of course he is not to be at Lombardia at the level of Woods to work the team for him.. In that case he will be even better than 5 years ago.

The only moment he had in this last part of the season to try to be with the best, was the first mountain stage of Sicily. And he just puntured at the begining of the first important climb. He was next day on the break, pulling doble time then the rest on the flat, so I have nothing to say.

You cant take any conclusion negative about his result. NO WAY.

But he have left, even working, some important details about an improvement of his level, very important for the future. He has already finished his phisical problems, and he can waste this winter to train and get a good level. We dont know if the team will rely on him from the begining to put people to work for him. so surely he will have to show working he has the level to work for him.

His best result in an important classic race when he was dominant in cycling and the team worked for him was 36 at Liege. Ot course if he would have been the leader at Lombardia and the team would have been worked for him he could have been amont the best 50 riders or maybe 30.

He was wroking at the front as well in Coppa Agostoni, with just 5 riders in his team.
It is a pity he dont want to stay at the british ITT champs. He said he cant train these days with the ITT.....Yes, it is true he is not trained this year at ITT, but he had a couple of days to train an try to do a result, even with a bad training. I think his family has pressured him to go home as far as possible.

Beibehang-Custom-wallpaper-photo-fairy-unicorn-living-room-sofa-bedroom-TV-background-home-decoration-children-cartoon.jpg_Q90.jpg_.webp

btw, I'm starting to believe there's a clausule on Froome's contract stating that Froome has to say to the press/tweet/whatever that his legs are really coming back, or else he'll be fired.
At first it seemed like the usual thing he’d been programmed to say was just spilling out. Every athlete in every sport I follow is always “feeling better and stronger” than they ever have. I guess If you say that sort of stuff enough through the years, even once you've trashed your body, you still will say it like a parrot.

But now this must be it. I’m sure he’s smart enough to not be in denial.

At first it seemed like the usual thing he’d been programmed to say was just spilling out. Every athlete in every sport I follow is always “feeling better and stronger” than they ever have. I guess If you say that sort of stuff enough through the years, even once you've trashed your body, you still will say it like a parrot.

But now this must be it. I’m sure he’s smart enough to not be in denial.

in a way he resembles contador. with some very obvious differences, though

I don't think so, the guy was was raised in the middle of the jungle, he's a tough guy and when he get's mad, he really get's mad, he's got a strong personality, ask nibali and astana's staff that were on that astana bus.
It's his dream, we all have dreams, but yeah, it's almost a impossible dream, the best for him his retiring now, i don't want to see him doing this miserable performances.
Why would you retire if you're paid millions to ride your bike? Heck he doesn't even have to reach certain performance levels and he's still paid millions just to finish at the back. That's a dream job.

100%. For my part I’d much prefer it if he gave far fewer reasons to mock him.

What reasons to mock him? He has had a very serious injury and he's trying to come back from it. He has a positive outlook about it. He had you defeatist attitude then he'd have never got out of Africa.

It's a rebuttal ... LOL :p

More seriously, my comment was noting a particular poster's style of simply coming in and slagging everybody who might be posting on a thread. That is not what I tend to do. I slag a lot of other things though!

You slag off high performing riders who entertain us. I, on the other hand, mock silly posters on a forum for dumb opinions.. And you think you're better. LOL.

What reasons to mock him? He has had a very serious injury and he's trying to come back from it. He has a positive outlook about it. He had you defeatist attitude then he'd have never got out of Africa.

You slag off high performing riders who entertain us. I, on the other hand, mock silly posters on a forum for dumb opinions.. And you think you're better. LOL.
Froome is entertaining, in a way. Not really a high performing
rider right now though.

Parkerino, you think so many posters have dumb opinions when they simply don't agree with yours. It is ok that you like Froomey and feel dejected about his current level and upset with some of the posters.

Froome is entertaining, in a way. Not really a high performing
rider right now though.

Parkerino, you think so many posters have dumb opinions when they simply don't agree with yours. It is ok that you like Froomey and feel dejected about his current level and upset with some of the posters.

Everyone riding for World Tour teams is high performing. They provide entertainment for us. Mostly for free. And I respect that.
I do like Froome. He's one the greats. All greats disappear eventually. I wish him well, but it may well be over. It's interesting to find out.

I don't get upset by posters. I just point their stupidity and ill-will. And they get upset when I point that out.

There have been four 5-time TdF champions and three 3-time TdF champions and no 4-time TdF champions except Chris (temporarily). Legends don't end up as 4-time TdF champions - they stay at 3 or jump to 5. Thus, Chris is going for 5 next year! Poglic had better focus on Giro & Vuelta.

There have been four 5-time TdF champions and three 3-time TdF champions and no 4-time TdF champions except Chris (temporarily). Legends don't end up as 4-time TdF champions - they stay at 3 or jump to 5. Thus, Chris is going for 5 next year! Poglic had better focus on Giro & Vuelta.

You are right, legends don't end up as four time TdF champions.
This should make Chris extremely worried because there is a far greater chance he is stripped of one win, bringing him down to three, rather than winning a fifth.
Spot on.

TRENDING THREADS