• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Chris Froome Discussion Thread.

Page 688 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Is Froome over the hill?

• Yes.

Votes: 26 35.1%
  • No, the GC finished 40 minutes ago but Froomie is still climbing it

Votes: 42 56.8%
  • No he is totally winning the Vuelta

Votes: 17 23.0%

• Total voters
He was similar oe even better to that Vuelta level this end of season. Of course he is WT standar, He made the selection in the echelons to an small group with the best riders of the world.
He wanst at Tour of Germany or another races this year.

Are you serious ? He got nowhere near his Vuelta 2020 level in which he showed signs of progress in a truncated season - He regressed in 2021.

Are you serious ? He got nowhere near his Vuelta 2020 level in which he showed signs of progress in a truncated season - He regressed in 2021.

I'm curious about what you guys call progression or getting better. Froome got no higher than a 57o placement in Vuelta '20, 22 minutes down from the stage winner. I don't think that that can be seen as progression for a former 6x GT winner, even after such a big injury and period out.

I'm curious about what you guys call progression or getting better. Froome got no higher than a 57o placement in Vuelta '20, 22 minutes down from the stage winner. I don't think that that can be seen as progression for a former 6x GT winner, even after such a big injury and period out.

Progression compared to how he fared in the beginning of the season? How is that difficult to understand?

How is this any different than any other year, on any other team? You could add for any rider?

Seems fairly clear according to the article:
Chris Froome is coming under increasing pressure from his Israel Start-Up Nation to start performing to a higher standard and he will not ride the Tour de France next year unless specific goals are met.

Not sure that for "any team/rider/year" there are "specific goals" or that folks need to perform to a "higher standard" than they have been. That may well be the case for certain riders on the bubble, but this article asserts that Froome, who really has no business (based on performance) being selected for any Grand Tour, will have to actually perform to make it this year. Whereas previously he'd been gifted a spot despite not performing at a level even close to consideration, except due to his contract and status.

Specifically, as it says in the article, he needs to win.

...winning a race was the key.

“The thing is we need and want to see results from Chris next year,” Verbrugghe said in an interview with Cycling Weekly. “It could be in a small race, but hopefully it’s in a bigger race – even better, the biggest race of them all. But even a small race would be a beginning, a step in the right direction.

Definitely can't be said of any year/team/rider.

Last edited:
I am probably over reading what is coming out regarding Froome, but it seems to me what the team have done is to tell Froome that there are no more excuses available to him. This year it is put up or shut up, and his value to the team is only as a rider. He has exhausted the positive publicity that being a member of the team provided.

Reactions: SHAD0W93
I am probably over reading what is coming out regarding Froome, but it seems to me what the team have done is to tell Froome that there are no more excuses available to him. This year it is put up or shut up, and his value to the team is only as a rider. He has exhausted the positive publicity that being a member of the team provided.
It makes sense. If the bilharzia and the recovery of the crash are 100% behind him, there's no reasons to not have improvements until he reach his best shape.
He said that is physiological parameters stay the same, so his age also could not be a excuse.

The injuries are just to severe as many predicted when it happened. Beloki never returned to his old level, the same with Vino, both had femur fractures, you are not going to recover to get back to your old self, its just not going to happen for froome in the high mountains. he might win a lower ranked race from the breakaway.

Reactions: Sciatic
The injuries are just to severe as many predicted when it happened. Beloki never returned to his old level, the same with Vino, both had femur fractures, you are not going to recover to get back to your old self, its just not going to happen for froome in the high mountains. he might win a lower ranked race from the breakaway.
Indeed, and both Vino and Beloki were about as lab enhanced as you could be, which is saying something given when their injuries occurred, and they still never got close to their old level.

Vino got back to a respectable level, a lot higher than whatever we've seen from Froome thus far. He even won the Olympics.

Reactions: Salvarani
So it appears this is going to be Froome's last year as Pro-Cyclist....

Quite clever the way him and his agent got to milk every drop of money from ISN Team from a contract that was never meant to be materialized from a performance results POV, and now that ISN is ready to demand results, Froome will happily retire.

Quite clever the way him and his agent got to milk every drop of money from ISN Team from a contract that was never meant to be materialized from a performance results POV, and now that ISN is ready to demand results, Froome will happily retire.

I think you have it a bit wrong. I don't think he'll "happily" retire. He may be forced by lack of performance but I really don't think he planned this to end this way.

I also suspect that his contract -- which I will point out ad nauseum -- has never been officially confirmed by him or ISN, is loaded with performance clauses. Even if it isn't for a guy with $1.7 billion, $5 million is pocket change and a bet worth taking. Sylvan Adams is no fool and knew exactly what he was laying his chips on.

Anyway, I hate to see once-great riders struggle, so if he's not getting better he should stop.

But all we heard end of 2020 is how he is getting better.
I don't disagree, he talked too much.

He's not retire so soon, even if he don't improve.

Easy to accept, even for you because he didn't need that excuse, he already had enough excuses.
I'm a weird guy. Crazily, I don't accept assertions which are offered without evidence. Particularly from someone known to create false narratives in the media. Nor do I blindly accept propositions which are extremely unlikely medically, and which spawn a host of questions about how such a thing could be possible. Show me independent confirmation of his "disease" and I'll accept it. I won't hold my breath.

TRENDING THREADS