• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Chris Froome Discussion Thread.

Page 700 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Is Froome over the hill?

• Yes.

Votes: 28 35.0%
  • No, the GC finished 40 minutes ago but Froomie is still climbing it

Votes: 46 57.5%
  • No he is totally winning the Vuelta

Votes: 18 22.5%

• Total voters
Today, Chris Froome was placed 73rd of 115 finishers in a small group 7m 21s behind Tour of Alps Stage One winner Geoffrey Bouchard.
It seems from the comments he did not get dropped on the main Category Two climb of the day, but I will watch the highlights later.
However, let's be honest here. If we are getting excited about Froome's form based on him not exploding out the back on a routine climb in a small stage race we are really reaching for signs of improvement.
He is still way, way off simply based on the time gap.
Acording to you, I mean, the time gap, he is better now than Piccoli or Fredick Hagen, and much better than Goldstain.
This last one was 2 weaks ago 3rd on the last stage of Coppi Bartali, and he didnt won becouse he was alone againt 2 Quick step riders. He finished 14th overall.
Picolli didnt get so far this year good result, but anyway he was 22th at Trofeo Pollenca who Valverde won. Last year was 8th at Vuelta a Andalucia.
And Hagen similar story..nor so far goodd result this year, but 19Th at Lure in La Provence, two minutes later than a inspired Quintana in a quite hard climb. He has been 8th at Vuelta a España.

I think yes, he is stronger than these riders in this race, so he is at a decent level. Difficult yo know eactly anyway if he is working this way..

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: SHAD0W93
Acording to you, I mean, the time gap, he is better now than Piccoli or Fredick Hagen, and much better than Goldstain.
This last one was 2 weaks ago 3rd on the last stage of Coppi Bartali, and he didnt won becouse he was alone againt 2 Quick step riders. He finished 14th overall.
Picolli didnt get so far this year good result, but anyway he was 22th at Trofeo Pollenca who Valverde won. Last year was 8th at Vuelta a Andalucia.
And Hagen similar story..nor so far goodd result this year, but 19Th at Lure in La Provence, two minutes later than a inspired Quintana in a quite hard climb. He has been 8th at Vuelta a España.

I think yes, he is stronger than these riders in this race, so he is at a decent level. Difficult yo know eactly anyway if he is working this way..
So them deciding to rest after doing their work vs Froome preferring to do a TT gives points to Froome? Did Froome’s pace even drop anyone?

I feel three different ways about Froome:
  1. He does get better and gets a win or top ten in stages or GC giving his fans some ammo against everyone that doesn’t like him.
  2. He tries doing a Contador and someone does to him like he tried doing to Contador in the Vuelta.
  3. He stays like this, makes his money and retired happily ever after.

I don't think Froome needs to make money anymore, he's one of the highest paid in the peloton from the last decade, although clearly he does like an investment, buthe doesn't strike me that he races for monetary gain. As others have said of him, he's a stubborn hard as nails b@stard who never gives up and why he won so much.

Israel are very excited about Chris Froome so far today.
They have just tweeted that Chris and one other rider from their team are the only survivors in an elite group that tackled the immediate Cat 2 climb.
Apparently Chris is just one of 20 riders in the entire field, according to them, strong enough to stay with the front group.

Another tweet from Israel and everything seems to have gone wrong.
It seems the group has split and an elite ten riders have gone over the top.
Chris Froome can't be one of them because the team aren't even bothering to name him in their latest tweet.

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan
I don't think Froome needs to make money anymore, he's one of the highest paid in the peloton from the last decade, although clearly he does like an investment, buthe doesn't strike me that he races for monetary gain. As others have said of him, he's a stubborn hard as nails b@stard who never gives up and why he won so much.
Easier to get the millions now that he got from his contract and not get it voided vs whatever career/job he would be able to get. Make more money now the earlier and easier he and Michelle can retire. Plus they have 2 and potentially more mouths to feed.

TRENDING THREADS