• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Chris Froome Discussion Thread.

Page 709 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Is Froome over the hill?

• Yes.

Votes: 26 35.1%
  • No, the GC finished 40 minutes ago but Froomie is still climbing it

Votes: 42 56.8%
  • No he is totally winning the Vuelta

Votes: 17 23.0%

• Total voters
So of the people trying, he came in about last. Sounds about right. For those "not trying" I'm not sure "close" is how I'd describe it. Soft-pedaling is an art, but there's PLENTY of leeway between full effort and getting eliminated. Clearly many riders soft-pedaled this TT looking at the results.
We all know Froome's all-in is equal to soft-pedaling for majority of WT/ProC riders ;)

Reactions: red_flanders
Sep 22, 2020
Visit site
I really never liked Fromme in past with sky. But it changed at the giro he won with this insane attack on the colle delle finestre. I hoped he would race the giro instead of the tour. I dont think he can do much at the tour, but would love to see that he can animate the race like contador did in his last few years. Pitty that crash he had, so we missed more (desperate all in) attacks from far out like in the giro 2018.

The problem is Froome hasn't made any progress since he started cycling again. Not even after different stage races and a few winters. You see more often after a heavy fall that the first competition months are difficult afterwards. But after a rest period during the winter, and building up the basic condition again, it works the next season (cfr Evenepoel). But this doesn't happen at Froome. Incomprehensible.
Is he still training the right way? He clearly weighs more than during his peak years. He seems too soft to me. He is not angry with himself and is not critical. So it seems to me that he is no longer motivated at all. He has been earning a lot for years now without having to pay performance in return. Why would he still train hard and suffer.

Unlike Cavendish. He was no longer sporty. But he no longer had a contract, no financial income. He grabbed his last chance. Signed a minimum contract with Lefevere. With nice premiums in case of victories. The result is clear. Froome doesn't get any more of it, Cav does.

The problem is Froome hasn't made any progress since he started cycling again. Not even after different stage races and a few winters. You see more often after a heavy fall that the first competition months are difficult afterwards. But after a rest period during the winter, and building up the basic condition again, it works the next season (cfr Evenepoel). But this doesn't happen at Froome. Incomprehensible.
Is he still training the right way? He clearly weighs more than during his peak years. He seems too soft to me. He is not angry with himself and is not critical. So it seems to me that he is no longer motivated at all. He has been earning a lot for years now without having to pay performance in return. Why would he still train hard and suffer.

Unlike Cavendish. He was no longer sporty. But he no longer had a contract, no financial income. He grabbed his last chance. Signed a minimum contract with Lefevere. With nice premiums in case of victories. The result is clear. Froome doesn't get any more of it, Cav does.

Even more than doing no progress he is getting worsen.

Froome from Tour de l'Ain 2020 or Angliru stage in Vuelta 2020 is miles ahead of any Froome from the past 2 years.

He was much better at romandie than coppi bartali

No one has ever returned to the previous performance with that sort of femur fracture, and that's ignoring the fractured hip and other injuries. It was never going to happen in all likelihood. Plus he's getting old.

Lance Armstrong said the same thing on his podcast, that no rider has returned from such a femur fracture to their best form.
As I understand it the bone snapped in two and tore through Froome's thigh muscles and the skin, requiring a metal rod to hold the bone together for the rest of his life.
That's not exactly a recipe for top-level cycling success, is it?
Anyway, Froome will be 37 years-old later this month, hardly the age to suddenly spring from the pack and dominate at the front of GT's.
It is the approximate age many pro cyclists, who never suffered close to Froome's injuries, would probably start considering retirement anyway.
But, I suppose Froome has 5.5m reasons to keep continuing every year so good luck to him.

Just came home, checked PCS, clicked today‘s race, and saw Froome in 11th place, not even four minutes down… My heart started beating, my blood pressure suddenly increased massively, and I felt shocked.

Then I visited CN, and Froome is the head line.

Now I immediately went into our forum, where I just need cycling expert people to talk to. I think, this evening, we‘ll have something to celebrate. Chris today showed a result that no one expected. No one but him, that is.

Congratulations, Froomey… Looking forward now to Dauphine and TdF. Froomey now ready for a Top-10 in the Dauphine GC, and possibly a TdF podium in the GC in Paris!

KtmQtEfDVvfthSh73Y4WDV-970-80.jpg.webp

Best result since the crash obviously. But to put it in context - Fuglsang and Woods would need all the luck in the world to finish top10 in this year's TdF (Woods 7th in the 2017 Vuelta; Fuglsang 7th at the 2013 TdF and 6th at the 2020 Giro - those are their best results in a GT, both arguably below their former climbing level so far this year). And Froome was still 4min down. So still far far down. But since he is coming from a trainings camp, maybe also headroom to improve further.

Reactions: Sandisfan
If you watch his latest video Chris Froome demonstrates some of his gym workout routines.
He also reveals that it was only this January his right thigh muscle returned.
That's right, according to Froome he 'lost' his thigh muscle due to the atrophy of inactivity post-crash and it is only in 2022 that it is now the same size as his left thigh.
Good luck to him, coming back when many cyclists his age have already retired, but his fanboys may be getting a little over-excited about 11th place in a one-day race being a signal of GT dominance to come.
Anyway, the dominant Chris Froome of 2011-18 would not have been so successful if he was not on the all-conquering team Sky.
If you think this Israel team can take a GT by the scruff of the neck in the same fashion you are dreaming.

TRENDING THREADS