• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Chris Froome Discussion Thread.

Page 757 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Is Froome over the hill?

• Yes.

Votes: 28 35.0%
  • No, the GC finished 40 minutes ago but Froomie is still climbing it

Votes: 46 57.5%
  • No he is totally winning the Vuelta

Votes: 18 22.5%

• Total voters
When froome was on top, i really didn't like him. Still I will never be a fan. This is another discussion for another time. But I don't understand why he is getting slander now for having passion for the sport and continuing to race. Is a wet twisty slippery Prologue in a January race today, he would be stupid to take risks
You'd have to point to the posts where someone "slander[ed]" him or where anyone said he "should take risks". Maybe the "slander" comment is a language thing? It has a very specific legal meaning. I could see where folks are "slagging" or "slamming" him. But no one said he should take risks in the rain that I can see.

Reactions: StryderHells
When froome was on top, i really didn't like him. Still I will never be a fan. This is another discussion for another time. But I don't understand why he is getting slander now for having passion for the sport and continuing to race. Is a wet twisty slippery Prologue in a January race today, he would be stupid to take risks
I'm sure Froome has the ability to soft pedal a prologue without falling off. Maybe there were other reasons . I guess there are a few other races in Australia he can still ride before heading back to Europe but I think the Sun Tour was cancelled this season ? And the Cadel race. is back. on.

Hello everybody again!

Well, yesterday I could say he was quite dissapointing, but really he is not here for GC, and he started when rain was heavier, several riders crash at that moment, so it is ok if he didnt fall.

Today he finished into the group after to be working lot of time, so it is ok as the stage wanst totally flat.

I dont understand why his team work, but I hope he has his chances to go for a break or try something at the end of a stage...even working for Clarke to get him the stage, but I mean protected all the stage, not working, just work or attack at the end, for him or for the team.

I guess Corbin Strong's GC. Have him sprint for bonifications, keep him out of troubles, etc.
Thanks..yes, that is the best explanation. He is well positioned and it is possible. But I think there are riders more favourites. I understand they worked as team, close to the front, protected him... but to pull in the front as I have read...I didnt see the stage, but I would prefer to waste energy in other way. Ir is the team of Bettiol or others team who has to pull.

I mean he’s attacked hard at the Herald Sun tour to win before so it’s nothing to do with it being early season
It's a bit on the side of the current discussion, but that Herald Sun Tour increased my dislike for Froome even more. Went on the attack with a local conti rider on the last lap of the queen stage and forced the conti rider do all the work while Froome 'played the card' of having Kennaugh back in the peloton. Then he of course dropped the conti rider like a stone as they got onto the final climb proper and won the stage and the GC. I don't mind 'wheelsucking' as a tactic in a race among equals, but that was very unclassy from the then two-time Tour de France champion.

It's a bit on the side of the current discussion, but that Herald Sun Tour increased my dislike for Froome even more. Went on the attack with a local conti rider on the last lap of the queen stage and forced the conti rider do all the work while Froome 'played the card' of having Kennaugh back in the peloton. Then he of course dropped the conti rider like a stone as they got onto the final climb proper and won the stage and the GC. I don't mind 'wheelsucking' as a tactic in a race among equals, but that was very unclassy from the then two-time Tour de France champion.
Well that was back when he was a winner. You do what you’ve got to do to win.

Yeah imagine being in great form like that Conti rider was in an early season low level race and the TDF champion is there attacking you lol

Reactions: firefly3323
I did not think Christopher Clive Froome could get any worse.
He warned his fans pre-race that a second bout of Covid just before Christmas meant he would not be competitive.
However, even his biggest cheerleaders must be disappointed by a final place of 117 out of 121 finishers.
Despite the words that come out of his mouth Chris Froome is absolutely miles and miles away from being even remotely in contention for any pro race in any conditions on any route.

You can't trust anything Froome says at this stage of his career. And he's not going to retire as long as Adams has the bad judgement to pay him 5 million per year to ride at the back of the peloton. I wouldn't retire either...but I also wouldn't say the "legs are coming around for my Tour de France comeback".

Reactions: tonymikejoe
Chris Froome has just tweeted about his participation in the race.
"Solid week of racing to start the season at TourDownUnder. Great atmosphere. Thanks to everyone who came out to support."

However, his cheerleaders have not been silenced by his uninspiring form and as Matthieu Ros replied: "Let's go Chris! So nice to see you again on the road."

A pleasant enough sentiment I suppose, along with the 269 'Likes' within an hour of posting, but when are his fans on twitter going to ask him some serious questions?

Maybe all the overly enquiring followers have been blocked by his wife Michelle................

Chris Froome has just tweeted about his participation in the race.
"Solid week of racing to start the season at TourDownUnder. Great atmosphere. Thanks to everyone who came out to support."

However, his cheerleaders have not been silenced by his uninspiring form and as Matthieu Ros replied: "Let's go Chris! So nice to see you again on the road."

A pleasant enough sentiment I suppose, along with the 269 'Likes' within an hour of posting, but when are his fans on twitter going to ask him some serious questions?

Maybe all the overly enquiring followers have been blocked by his wife Michelle................
Mate it's a January winter training race where the riders get a paid holiday to Australia in the middle of European winter. Froome hasn't been trying to win these kinds of races since 2016

TRENDING THREADS