• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Chris Froome?

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Froome19 said:
He has the ability to perform as he showed so brilliantly at the Vuelta.

Whether he will do it is up to debate..
He has Wiggins preventing him but his form does seem to be reaching that of his magnificent Vuelta perfomance.

Wouldn't you prefer for him to continue building his amazing form and go to the Vuelta/ smash Contador:eek:

Bernie's eyesore said:
Froome is not English, he is a Kenyan representing Britain. Big difference.

In cycling terms, the only terms that matter here, he is British. Equally, as cyclists, Wiggins is British rather than Australo-Belgian, Cavendish is British although Man is not part of the UK, Millar is not Maltese, and Roche and Dan Martin are Irish rather than French and Brummie respectively.

Insisting that nationality is determined by place of birth would place you in some very dodgy political company.

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
Armchair cyclist said:
In cycling terms, the only terms that matter here, he is British. Equally, as cyclists, Wiggins is British rather than Australo-Belgian, Cavendish is British although Man is not part of the UK, Millar is not Maltese, and Roche and Dan Martin are Irish rather than French and Brummie respectively.

Insisting that nationality is determined by place of birth would place you in some very dodgy political company.

LOL, it's nothing to do with place of birth, Froome has spent almost his entire life as a Kenyan and decided to represent Britain because it was a good move for him financially. I have no problem with that but even he does not consider himself to be British. Of course, Roche and Martin aren't Irish either, Millar and Wiggins are clearly British though.

wow _O_!!!

Awq7LUICAAEye4t.jpg

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
jens_attacks said:
wow _O_!!!

Awq7LUICAAEye4t.jpg
On a humourous note, I’ve spent the evening having the **** taken out of me by my team mates for riding the prologue with warm-up nose plugs in. *They are cotton balls soaked in olbas oil which are used to keep the airways open - obviously not quite the same effect if you forget to remove them before the start. A mistake I will not be making again anytime soon!!

Taken from his blog

Jun 6, 2012
Visit site
jens_attacks said:
wow _O_!!!

Awq7LUICAAEye4t.jpg

wow indeed! fantastic photo.

I for one would love to see him as a GC contender already this year

It looks like he is where he should be as he is generally better on longer ITTs than prologues. Contrary to Wiggins he can actually attack in the mountains :)

Climeon said:
Didn't Cobo supposedly climb the last 6 km of angliru faster than contador in 2008? If so, given how close Froome was to Cobo, Froome could do very well in this tour

Froome was not that close. Him Poels and Sunday fun ride Menchov were 50 s behind.

Still very impressive, if true, and if true some people have been really embarrasing themselves with claims that Menchov cant climb anymore.

Also if true, Poels is 1 hell of a climber as well then.

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
Gloin22 said:
Early reports indicated flat at the beginning of the climb. Not sure if that's true, but we will find out soon i guess.

I guess it's true, no way a Froome in shape (and we know he is in shape from Dauphine and Prologue) would lose this much time on such a finish.

May 19, 2011
Visit site
gog... said:
he lost a minute 25 sec it's not all over

pretty sure it is all over for him GC considering, and SKY in not impressive at all in this stage. Well he can focus on working for W and stage hunting maybe. Maybe that was exactly his plan before this tour started.

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
maxmartin said:
pretty sure it is all over for him GC considering, and SKY in not impressive at all in this stage. Well he can focus on working for W and stage hunting maybe. Maybe that is exactly his plan for this tour.

What ? He can take tons in the TT's and he'll be up there with Top 10 best climbers imo. He'll has a chance still easily.

However, 3K rule might apply here. No idea just yet.

TRENDING THREADS