• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

ChrisE RIP.

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
For those of you who knew him and had interaction with him one way or the other. It is with a very heavy heart and gutted feelings that I have to say that Chris passed away. I will eventually post all the details I can but until I speak with his family I will wait.

I know that a few of those who used to be here and who are still here will remember the lively debates we all shared with him in the clinic and the Politics thread.

I have a very long post to follow but since my operation I'm having trouble to put everything into words etc. I will get it done tonight and post by in the morning. There are some things I want to say on his behalf and about him that I just need time to collect my thoughts.

I know that He and I shared some very lonely times together through our divorces and travels. He was a great Friend a True Friend and someone I looked to for support and help.

Oct 6, 2009
Visit site
Sorry to hear this. I didn't talk to him a lot like others on here, but I did read his stuff (usually while blocking that avatar with my hand when reading the forum sometimes while eating lunch)

Sorry to see the loss of one more of the old-timers from back when the forum was more entertaining, active, and fun. Condolences to you SF, and to all Chris' family and friends who knew him well.

My sincere condolences to Chris and his family. He will definitely be missed around here. I think what I'll personally miss most here was his timing. Between his joking and sometimes snarky posts, he'd occasionally jump into a conversation with an incisive comment that grounded things and belied his sharp side, or post something light-hearted right during a tense conversation, reminding me it's just an internet message board.

Rest in peace my friend.

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
I first talked with Chris on the old Daily Peloton forums. I was pretty sick then, and him and Glenn gave me a lot of laughs at a time when humor was in short supply. I'll always appreciate that. RIP Skandor

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
really appreciate glenn posting the very sad news ...

chriss e was one of those i could always disagree with... sharp, abrasive but always smart and articulate.

i had my share of misunderstanding him, but never failing to see him moving others with the deserving alternatives that completely alluded me.

chris could easily take a very unpopular position, perhaps even enjoying it, (like defending lance) yet being literally an encyclopedia and a literal intellectual gymnast when backing his position with the less appreciated facts.

a huge loss, untimely loss b/c i guess he wasn't even 70.

would appreciate if glenn find the time to add the sad details.

rip, chris

Jul 4, 2009
Visit site
....count me among the many who will miss greatly the one, the only, the truly mad ( in the British sense ) and absolutely magnificent ChrisE....Alpe covered a lot of the bases very nicely and I heartily concur with his thoughts....

...bonne voyage and happy trails dear sir.....

Cheers

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for posting everyone.

@python as soon as I can speak in person with Chris's Family and ask permission to post some details I will put them up here.

Also I have some things that I know Chris would have wanted to be said here but will take some time to make that post.

@patrick I will get in touch next week. I think my health will be to where we can meet up at our old watering hole for a few Cheers in Chris's Honor.

Jul 4, 2009
Visit site
Re:

rhubroma said:
A ferocious provocateur, who disdained hypocrisy and lazy thought. My condolences to family and friends.

....bang on....and something blutto would love to become when he grows up.....but that is a bar set just way too high.....way way too high....

Cheers

ChrisE was one of my favourite posters on this forum. As stated above, he was provocateur who sometimes pushed the boundaries, but I didn't care. He did so with a sublime sense of humour. He could spot hypocrisy a mile away and meet it with razor sharp wit. I like that.
Despite the fact I didn't always agree with what he was on about (shocking!), he was never boring. He was intelligent, sincere and funny. He will be missed.
RIP ChrisE.

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
All - I said I would update and promise to do so tomorrow morning. I received a few PM's and thank you to all who have sent something via PM or along the thread.

Glenn - Do you have a picture of Chris you can share? I know that we normally don't let the world know what we really look like in this new social media utopian planet. But I think a lot of us viewed him as a friend, and having a face to put to that might help. Up to you, or you and his family perhaps.

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
https://s3.amazonaws.com/csvweb/obituaries/media/5437/228851-1-769436.mp4

This video is from his obituary. Chris of course is the bald guy. :lol:

I'm not sure what Chris would have thought about this video. Knowing him he would have said that is was cheese or Cheesy.

Here is the full obituary and the same video is at the bottom.
http://www.sterlingwhite.com/obituaries/James-Estetter/

Y’all are going to have to forgive my poor writing and grammatical skills. Just bear with me as I try to tell a few things.

Chris and I meet because of cycling. We had been visiting a web site named Daily Peloton Forums. Quite a few folks from that site are here on CN or were. To name a few Patricknd, Python, Race Radio, Susan W., French Fry, Red Lobster, Black Cat. I know there are more but I can’t remember you all.

Since his job and mine were both traveling jobs we had the chance to meet in Houston Texas and then every once in a while our paths would cross on international travel. We would have some crazy internet back and forth with quite a few people from the Daily Peloton forums.

Python was a moderator and since Chris and I did not play by the rules we were often on some type of ban. We would do really stupid and childish things but we took it as entertainment. I think Python thought we were serious and or were nuts! After about 4 or 5 years at the DPF we meet Patrick just during or after his fight with Cancer. Python you were the topic of discussion many times! We just could not help ourselves because you was a serious type and we were clowns.

Somewhere along the line we heard through the grapevine that black cat was on the CN forums. So we decided to take the troll show on the road. We tried our best to find you Python but no avail and suddenly you was here. Maybe it was our trolling that made you come over?

At the same time as our dozen or more sockpuppets were operating here on the Cycling News forums we were also trolling the Toyota Prius forums / Houston City forums / Fishing and Hunting forums. You name the forum and we probably were trolling it. Like I said we were clowns and for us it was entertainment.

A few funny moments were when he was in Algeria and I was in Abu Dhabi we meet up in Bahrain we chose there because they had alcohol and women, but they also had good Hotels with internet that we could use to create sockpuppets. One of the best during that time was Skandar Akbar. Which ran afoul and was banninated. Python knew from the get go that it was either Chris or I that was behind it and I can remember some of the posts he put up about it. The other one was Logical Cranium. In fact at any given time back then there was always another sockpuppet in the chamber.

Eventually I had to beg to stay here at CN because I had worn out my welcome with the clown show. So we decided to shut it down, also due to I was sent on a job for 3 years out of the country. During that time Chris was spending most of his time in Houston.

We went to Ixtapa-Zihuatanejo. That particular trip was hilarious because he took a direct flight from Houston and I was coming in from Japan and my flight came into Mexico. I got stopped by Mexico immigration because I was carrying too much contraband from Thailand, Malaysia, Indonesia – In Japan they could care less but Mexico was another story. He was in Ixtapa for a day before I actually made it. When I got there he said … where you been I’ve already made 2 sockpuppets for CN forums and then ….lets go fishing!

Most probably would not know it but at one time US Juniors Chris was a successful cyclist. He raced against folks like Bobby J. and Lance. That was some extent of his knowledge about both of them that he would never divulge on the site. He knew the ins and outs of Southwest Texas cycling.

Reactions: mewmewmew13
Thanks Glenn for sharing this sad news with us. As you know I had contact with Chris both on and off the forums and also considered him a friend. He was the only person I actually met from these and DP forums and we spent a memorable day watching the arrival of the Tour on the Champs Eylsées followed by an evening in a left bank piano bar that left excellent memories. Luckily it was happy hour all evening or it would have ruined me! I know you were good friends and it is always difficult to lose someone who is close and who has shared difficult times. He often asked about my wife, who passed away a few years ago at about the same age as Chris. My heart goes out to his daughter, sisters, parents, and extended family and friends who will certainly miss Chris a lot. We can see from the pictures that he loved life and lived it fully.

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Re:

Semper Fidelis said:
https://s3.amazonaws.com/csvweb/obituaries/media/5437/228851-1-769436.mp4

This video is from his obituary. Chris of course is the bald guy. :lol:

I'm not sure what Chris would have thought about this video. Knowing him he would have said that is was cheese or Cheesy.

Here is the full obituary and the same video is at the bottom.
http://www.sterlingwhite.com/obituaries/James-Estetter/

Y’all are going to have to forgive my poor writing and grammatical skills. Just bear with me as I try to tell a few things.

Chris and I meet because of cycling. We had been visiting a web site named Daily Peloton Forums. Quite a few folks from that site are here on CN or were. To name a few Patricknd, Python, Race Radio, Susan W., French Fry, Red Lobster, Black Cat. I know there are more but I can’t remember you all.

Since his job and mine were both traveling jobs we had the chance to meet in Houston Texas and then every once in a while our paths would cross on international travel. We would have some crazy internet back and forth with quite a few people from the Daily Peloton forums.

Python was a moderator and since Chris and I did not play by the rules we were often on some type of ban. We would do really stupid and childish things but we took it as entertainment. I think Python thought we were serious and or were nuts! After about 4 or 5 years at the DPF we meet Patrick just during or after his fight with Cancer. Python you were the topic of discussion many times! We just could not help ourselves because you was a serious type and we were clowns.

Somewhere along the line we heard through the grapevine that black cat was on the CN forums. So we decided to take the troll show on the road. We tried our best to find you Python but no avail and suddenly you was here. Maybe it was our trolling that made you come over?

At the same time as our dozen or more sockpuppets were operating here on the Cycling News forums we were also trolling the Toyota Prius forums / Houston City forums / Fishing and Hunting forums. You name the forum and we probably were trolling it. Like I said we were clowns and for us it was entertainment.

A few funny moments were when he was in Algeria and I was in Abu Dhabi we meet up in Bahrain we chose there because they had alcohol and women, but they also had good Hotels with internet that we could use to create sockpuppets. One of the best during that time was Skandar Akbar. Which ran afoul and was banninated. Python knew from the get go that it was either Chris or I that was behind it and I can remember some of the posts he put up about it. The other one was Logical Cranium. In fact at any given time back then there was always another sockpuppet in the chamber.

Eventually I had to beg to stay here at CN because I had worn out my welcome with the clown show. So we decided to shut it down, also due to I was sent on a job for 3 years out of the country. During that time Chris was spending most of his time in Houston.

We went to Ixtapa-Zihuatanejo. That particular trip was hilarious because he took a direct flight from Houston and I was coming in from Japan and my flight came into Mexico. I got stopped by Mexico immigration because I was carrying too much contraband from Thailand, Malaysia, Indonesia – In Japan they could care less but Mexico was another story. He was in Ixtapa for a day before I actually made it. When I got there he said … where you been I’ve already made 2 sockpuppets for CN forums and then ….lets go fishing!

Most probably would not know it but at one time US Juniors Chris was a successful cyclist. He raced against folks like Bobby J. and Lance. That was some extent of his knowledge about both of them that he would never divulge on the site. He knew the ins and outs of Southwest Texas cycling.
Just FYI - the video in the first link will download to your computer. The other link is to His obituary and it has the video at the bottom if you care to look.

Thanks blutto and FrenchFry!

TRENDING THREADS