• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Cipollini: "Cavendish is fat"

Cipollini calls Cavendish ‘fat’

Mario Cipollini had some harsh words for Mark Cavendish in his daily column in La Gazzetta dello Sport. First, he criticized HTC for leaving Cavendish isolated in the sprint before questioning the Manxster’s commitment to his profession.

“Mark is being mismanaged. I do not believe he’s 100 percent devoted to his profession and, in fact, he’s fat. How is it possible that someone as talented as him has only won three races this season?”

No word yet from Cavendish, who will line up as the hot favorite for victory in Thursday’s flat stage to Ravenna.

(from velonews)

Another Cavendish thread. Take deep breath. Wade in.

Pinch of salt stuff. Same as how they go to Merckx for his take whenever the star du jour sneezes.

Cipollini rode his spangled chariot across the whole glittery era of organised youknowwhat. Then remember what Lucho Herrera had to say about 'fat' riders. It's sad that we can't take almost any ex-pro's opinion seriously these days.

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
There's only been 3 sprint stages so far in this Giro (excluding the Weylandt neutralised stage which probably would've been a sprint), and Cipo even at his best would've only been in with a shot of winning 2 of them. This Giro is a lot harsher on sprinters this year than when Cipo was racking up his 40 odd wins.

It has to be said Cav is climbing like a bus though.

May 25, 2009
Visit site
Cav seems to put on weight quite easily, but loses it quite quickly when racing. Perhaps he'd be well advised to stick around at the Giro as long as he can, and use the mountains to get into shape.

William H said:
Cav seems to put on weight quite easily, but loses it quite quickly when racing. Perhaps he'd be well advised to stick around at the Giro as long as he can, and use the mountains to get into shape.

Suspect 2 weeks racing with a few tough days will be plenty for him at the moment, he's still got Tour de Suisse to sort himself out before the tour.

And whatever his shape, he's already shown he's got the beating of the 2nd best sprinter at the moment, with more to come, so I'd have thought he's fairly relaxed.

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Weight is always a funny thing and some might say over emphasised these days in the Pro-Peleton as a factor necessary to be competitive.

Clearly a good power to weight ratio will see you go up hill quicker but the gains there often equate to losses elsewhere.

In terms of certain g.c riders (the Schlecks being a prime example) I actually think that they are probably underweight. In the case of Andy Shleck this Is why he will never be able to time trial for toffee and why against someone like Gilbert in Amstel he had no answer for that kind of "brute" power.

I think a lot of riders nowadays are competitive over a long season due to maintaining a constant optimum power to weight ratio more so than tapering of or peaking for particular races. They essentially stay thin and maintain the power necessary to always get over the climbs.

Jul 30, 2009
Visit site
Anyone understand this...?

200-PIC197110450.jpg

cineteq said:
That's why someway, somehow he's still in the race and not eliminated.

I think you've actually managed to convince yourself here. In a few weeks you'll forget there's no actual evidence for this, and will start to quote it as established fact and honestly believe what you're saying.

As it is we currently have a massive thread with lots of photos of people cheating, but sadly non of them have Cav in them.

Waterloo Sunrise said:
I think you've actually managed to convince yourself here. In a few weeks you'll forget there's no actual evidence for this, and will start to quote it as established fact and honestly believe what you're saying.
Trying to put a bandaid on a gaping wound? Btw, there is no evidence that LA did PED.