• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

City you would like to live in?

May 6, 2009
Visit site
An extension of Alpe's thread. It can be anywhere, it doesn't matter if you have lived there, been there or yet to visit the city of your dreams.

Three places that spring to mind are (not in any order)

Verona - so many riding options, and a popular place for the Giro to visit.
Napoli - the craziest mofo's In Italy (at least in my experience), doubt I would have the balls to ride there though, but you know you are alive there, and well the pizza is :cool:
Barcelona - if you can score tickets to the Nou Camp, then it is worth going to a Barca game, plus plenty of riding options to choose from, north or south of the city.

Napoli is good for tourists, but for the locals living in Camorra city aint no kind of fun.

The best cities to live in are probably towns in Northen Italy. Very nice during summer, hot, and lots of snow during the winter.

Or screw the snow bit and just live in Spain.

Outside europe, well somewhere like Wyoming or Montana where they have amazing scenery.

Trento, Bolzano... I love cycling and biathlon, and this gives me the best compromise (short of living in Le Grand Bornand itself), plus allows me the benefits of Italy whilst making it easier for me to adapt to since the area is German-speaking. Or Klagenfurt or Salzburg. Would love to go back to Lyon. San Sebastián would be nice. Berlin I loved. Frankfurt was fantastic when I was living there but I don't know how much was the company and how much was the city.

May 13, 2009
Visit site
The Hitch said:
Napoli is good for tourists, but for the locals living in Camorra city aint no kind of fun.

The best cities to live in are probably towns in Northen Italy. Very nice during summer, hot, and lots of snow during the winter.

Amalfi coast is nice, otherwise I'd agree with Northern Italy. Liguria, Piemonte, Lago di Como, Venice (without the tourists). Actually, during summer, I'd do as birds do and move further north.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
I wouldn't mind living in Brussels:

- great partying
- all kinds of good food and drinks
- nice architecture
- close to Bruges/the coast
- good concert places, theatres, museums ...

Best City to live in? Not sure I ever want to live in a city again but... for me and in my opinion.

1. London (best City in the World)
2. Vancouver (best place to live)
3. Amsterdam (most fun)

(As you can tell I don't mind the rain!)

May 20, 2010
Visit site
180mmCrank said:
Best City to live in? Not sure I ever want to live in a city again but... for me and in my opinion.

1. London (best City in the World)
2. Vancouver (best place to live)
3. Amsterdam (most fun)

(As you can tell I don't mind the rain!)

It is only because we caught NZ Immigration off guard that we live in Wellington; if Immigration in Canada were a little less vigilant, we'd live in Vancouver, which I reckon is up there for greatest city in the world.

Barcelona is a front-runner in the contest. Great climate, people, culture, location, FOOD!

Christian said:
I wouldn't mind living in Brussels:

- great partying
- all kinds of good food and drinks
- nice architecture
- close to Bruges/the coast
- good concert places, theatres, museums ...

As someone who does live there, I really wouldn't recommend it, Christian.

The night scene here is worse than crap (one decent club and one good late-night boozer for a city of 1m people), you can eat and drink the same or better elsewhere in Belgium for 30% less, there's only a little bit of nice architecture and a lot of glass/concrete monstrosities.

I would however partly agree on the concert venues (though Forest National has pathetic acoustics) and the Beaux-Arts rewards several visits.

Some other (fairly generic) negatives:
Rainy microclimate, dog shti overload, dangerous drivers, crime and unemployment is high and rising, massive taxation unless you know what you're doing. ;)

So why do I bother? There are some key reasons why I like Brussels:

- City remains stubbornly villageois, so it suits me as a former country boy.
- Not as expensive here as, say, London or Paris.
- I live in a decent part of town, in and around people having an almost unrivalled range of nationalities, languages and cultural backgrounds.
- I can walk to work in fifteen minutes with no need of any transport.
- Impressive list of airport connections.

jsem94 said:
Bergamo. Always felt an attraction to that city, even though I've never even been there.

It is a very nice and friendly city, I can confirm. Airline tickets are cheap too ;)

Anyway, I lived in Milano for four months and I would've happily made it 4 years. Benefits of western europe (something works...) combined with the Italian lifestyle, it was the perfect combination of the two.

Disadvantages: Weather in autumn, can be rainy and the city can be quite grey when it rains, but then there are always the Aperetivi's to give you a good time regardless.

antipasto_buffet.jpg

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Hmmm, Somewhere in Canada would be nice! Similar lifestyle to australia but cooler weather which I like. Anywhere around the mediterranean coastline would be nice to live.

A

Anonymous

Bala Verde said:
they have a nice 4th of July run... the main street parade is underwhelming though.

Yea, that run is really cool. You get really fresh seafood, and the scenery is spectacular.

A

Anonymous

180mmCrank said:
Have you been there? It's actually rather nice.

T

Yea, went there about 10 years ago. Loved the place...except for the mosquitoes. Wicked bad mosquitoes.

Jul 4, 2009
Visit site
Thoughtforfood said:
Yea, went there about 10 years ago. Loved the place...except for the mosquitoes. Wicked bad mosquitoes.

...just be thankful that you had no black-flies or no-see-ums...mosquitoes are almost civilized by comparison...

...and my vote for bestest city is Montreal...great food...vibrant non-American culture....non-American health-care system....wonderful cycling community...and the skiing is real good during the winter months...

Cheers

blutto