• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Clasica Ciclista San Sebastian 2009

Page 6 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
thehog said:
The popularity of the race is due to Lance. Prior to him winning it was one of the smaller provincial races. Its now a big UCI race on the ProTour calender.

Yup. Before that only amateurs like Induráin and Bugno won it. Thank god a real rider won it that year :)

1981 Marino Lejarreta
1982 Marino Lejarreta
1983 Claude Criquielion
1984 Niki Rüttimann
1985 Adri van der Poel
1986 Inaki Gaston
1987 Marino Lejarreta
1988 Gert-Jan Theunisse
1989 Gerhard Zadrobilek
1990 Miguel Indurain
1991 Gianni Bugno
1992 Raúl Alcalá
1993 Claudio Chiappucci
1994 Armand de Las Cuevas

Yeah no big name winners before the uniballer. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

A

Anonymous

B.Rasmussen said:
1981 Marino Lejarreta
1982 Marino Lejarreta
1983 Claude Criquielion
1984 Niki Rüttimann
1985 Adri van der Poel
1986 Inaki Gaston
1987 Marino Lejarreta
1988 Gert-Jan Theunisse
1989 Gerhard Zadrobilek
1990 Miguel Indurain
1991 Gianni Bugno
1992 Raúl Alcalá
1993 Claudio Chiappucci
1994 Armand de Las Cuevas

Yeah no big name winners before the uniballer. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

You're not going to get very far with Uniballer fans with that list. They probably think it is a foreign wine list.

Apr 1, 2009
Visit site
Bala Verde said:
Too bad Garate crashed. He lives at the bottom of the Jaizkibel, so he was hoping to put in another good result. I think he was taken down by Freire who crashed before him.

He broke a little bone in his hand, but won't have to pull out of the Vuelta.

Thanks for the info, Bala.
Didn't see the whole race, only the last two km.
Hopefully, he'll be well enough to earn a stage win at the Vuelta.
I hope he can do something in Avila. One of the best stage finishes in any race.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/garate-breaks-hand-in-san-sebastian-crash

Kreuziger didn't consider a win worthy of getting out if the seat in the last 200m? He didn't even look like he really tried to win. Good deal with Barredo?

What would YOU consider a fair deal to let a classic win go, as a pro cyclist?

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
Cloxxki said:
Kreuziger didn't consider a win worthy of getting out if the seat in the last 200m? He didn't even look like he really tried to win. Good deal with Barredo?

Payment from the Columbians???

Cloxxki said:

I was thinking the same thing, seemed to throw it away. The only thing is it's pretty tough to work a deal in the last km and they certainly weren't talking. The only other thing is maybe Kreuziger was seeing stars a bit and actually thought they had another k to go or something.

Was definately weird.

hulkgogan said:
As an aside would be nice if the English language press actually got a few post race words from the riders on what happened. It's a major frickin race.

If Lance was riding it would be a little bigger. For the moment the LANCE v Contador press war is more important to cycling fans than a one day race in Spain. And rightly so.

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
thehog said:
If Lance was riding it would be a little bigger. For the moment the LANCE v Contador press war is more important to cycling fans than a one day race in Spain. And rightly so.

Is your other name 'pot stirrer'?

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
I love this piece of professional journalism, found in het "Nieuwsblad"

Jurgen Van den Broeck geniet met volle teugen van de belangstelling. Hij was dan ook gemotiveerd voor de Clasica San Sebastian, maar na 17 kilometer gaf de renner van Silence-Lotto op.

quick translation:

Jurgen Van den Broeck enjoys his new status as Belgium's superstar. He was highly motivated for the Classica San Sebastian, but after 17km he called it a day

haha he surely was motivated to the bone

(This is after I read him saying that he really didn't want to participate in the CSS, right post TdF)

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
There was a huge number of DNFs at the CSS - I know some were due to crashes and some probably due to the sh!t weather - was there anything else to account for it?

Bad news about Schecklet's back injury from his crash at the CSS :(, especially if he has to miss the Vuelta.

TrudyTas said:
There was a huge number of DNFs at the CSS - I know some were due to crashes and some probably due to the sh!t weather - was there anything else to account for it?

Bad news about Schecklet's back injury from his crash at the CSS :(, especially if he has to miss the Vuelta.

Hope the bike is ok

pic51997926_600.jpg

TRENDING THREADS