• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Classic Brugge-De Panne - 2X One-Day Race(s). Men's 22/3, Women's 23/3

Page 7 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Perfectly played by DSM, first that fake attack by Jastrab and then the counter by Georgi (also made good use of that road split).
Still, you kinda expect Wiebes and Balsamo to be a bit more prepared for such a move, it's not like they had to close an onslaught of attacks, they basically just let the first one go immediately.

Reactions: Didinho
Wiebes declining to go through and work with Balsamo was the decisive moment. Seeing now that she also lost the sprint for second, maybe she already knew that her legs weren't quite up to the task. Anyway, perfectly played by DSM girls, Georgi even managed to take advantage of some road furniture, which broke the group up bit more.

Reactions: Didinho
Chapeau Pfieffer!
Clipboard.png

Reactions: Samu Cuenca
Wiebes declining to go through and work with Balsamo was the decisive moment. Seeing now that she also lost the sprint for second, maybe she already knew that her legs weren't quite up to the task. Anyway, perfectly played by DSM girls, Georgi even managed to take advantage of some road furniture, which broke the group up bit more.

I guess Wiebes also rather wanted to lose to Georgi than Balsamo. That said I think she would have beaten Balsamo if she had been in her wheel instead of opening the sprint herself.

That win was always coming for Pfeiffer Georgi - DSM is a well run team who seem to develop their younger riders - Reckon, DSM and Trek have the best teamwork in the peleton - Wiebes continues to develop her skill set, however she is in the wrong team.

I guess Wiebes also rather wanted to lose to Georgi than Balsamo. That said I think she would have beaten Balsamo if she had been in her wheel instead of opening the sprint herself.
Largely agree with you on both counts, but Wiebes really couldn't have known she would certainly lose to Balsamo at the time of Georgis attack. So it looked to me that she started playing games when the only real choices were to work or to lose. A tactical error maybe partly caused by doubt in her own strenght.

Reactions: Samu Cuenca

TRENDING THREADS