• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Classic Racing Pics

Page 34 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
PCutter said:
Photo of the year! Nathan Haas getting tail happy in the Tokyo Crit, he kept it upright and clipped in.

Sorry, I don't know how to post a twitter pic on the forum, someone else may know how to put this up.

http://twitter.com/shawry_07/status/261221640204070914/photo/1

A6ALsqCCMAAPTsT.jpg

Sep 25, 2010
Visit site
Magnus said:
Not unusual for the riders who were attentive to detail and weight. Notice that it's only for the front derailleur.

Interesting, I'd always known that Armstrong used dt shifters in the mountains in those years, but never noticed Ulrich ran the same setup.

gustienordic said:
Sorry its so big :/

You really just wanted the opportunity to say that didn't you?? :D

Actually the lbl pic was awesome and I d'ld and will see if I can make it poster-worthy with a little ps work.

Very large images might be better off with links and then just shrink a smaller version down for the ease of seeing it in the forum without it displaying full size.

I am kind of surprised the bulletin board doesn't offer come sort of sizing function or autosizing to prevent this weird and awkward horizontal scrolling. It's 2012 for crying out loud, not 1998.

Arnout said:
Merckx? Well, actually I never want to claw my eyes out as they are very valuable, but Merckx isn't making me feel much better compared to Armstrong.

It really isn't the riders that disgust me so much as the culture that evolved to make the sport the **** of jokes (and deservedly, which makes it even more painful). But wrong forum. Sorry. Although there is one rider that disgusts me above all others.

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
ghostofjoy said:
Interesting, I'd always known that Armstrong used dt shifters in the mountains in those years, but never noticed Ulrich ran the same setup.

Here's Pantani using it
marco-pantani.jpg

It's much easier to spot on a Shimano setup (Lance) than on a Campagnolo setup (Ullrich, Pantani), because Campagnolo run the gear cable along the handlebar (unlike Shimano pre-2008) and because the Campagnolo break lever looks almost exactly like the gear/brake lever(notice the missing shift paddle in the picture), whereas riders on Shimano would use an 'old-school' brake lever, that looks dramatically different from the Shimano gear/brake-lever.

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
Libertine Seguros said:
All of a sudden generations of Colombians who've soared like eagles on the climb and then descended with the grace of André the Giant in a clown car makes total sense.

Yes! Beautiful pic, tho! Love it.

I remember back in 1988, when you couldn't get any coverage of pro cycling beyond the Tour in the States. I knew Andy Hampsten had won the Giro, but hadn't seen a write-up or pics. Winning Magazine arrived and it had roughly this picture on the front, with a seemingly all-confident Hampsten about to clinch the race. What a classic photo:

image10.jpg

TRENDING THREADS