• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Classy riders in the pro peleton

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
simo1733 said:
I agree with you.The common usage of the term in cycling is regarding riding style.For example Stephen Roche was regarded as being more Classy than Sean Kelly.Nothing to do with their results or personality and everything to do with style and suplesse(Excuse the spelling)
In the current peloton maybe Basso,Moncoutie,Contador,Millar,Kloeden are Classy while Voekler,Voight,Evans,Gesink, Leipheimer are not.
Just my opinion.

Agree with those. maybe I should start a best and worst riding styles thread. Evans is one of the ugliest climbers out of the saddle I have ever seen - the man looks like a crab on a bike. Chris Anker Sørensen is also pretty bad but fun to watch with the faces he pulls.

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Oscar Freire is definitely a classy rider.
And Philippe Gilbert also, the way he can simply ruin a field while everyone has been watching him and knows he is the favourite. When Gilbert is in form he can beat almost anyone.

LugHugger said:
I know what you mean. Maybe not classy style-wise on his bike, like say, Dave Millar, but Tommy V definitely has classy attitude to racing and ethics.

+1 One has to respect his sacrifice to keep the team intact.
I personally like the riders that pretty much just ride without much controversy but still get results. Oscar Freire is my fav along with Sammy Sanchez. A dedicated road captain like Andreas Klier has to be respected to for his tactical sense and old school ways. There is an excellent interview with him in the latest issue of the Peloton magazine.

simo1733 said:
I agree with you.The common usage of the term in cycling is regarding riding style.For example Stephen Roche was regarded as being more Classy than Sean Kelly.Nothing to do with their results or personality and everything to do with style and suplesse(Excuse the spelling)
In the current peloton maybe Basso,Moncoutie,Contador,Millar,Kloeden are Classy while Voekler,Voight,Evans,Gesink, Leipheimer are not.
Just my opinion.

I'd be inclined to agree with your examples. Some seem to be fighting with their bikes (Evans) or just have quite an unattractive style (Leipheimer) while others just seem to float along (Contador, Petacchi when sprinting, Freire, Kloden), or just simply look like they were birthed with a bike attached to their feet (Valverde).

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
Contador was the classiest rider in the peloton. He always provided a refreshing breeze on his way past a rider suffering from a mechanical. The bigger the race, the stronger the breeze.