• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

"clean", "suspect", "miraculous" and "mutants"

Page 12 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Big Doopie said:
Amazing that Lemond, mottet, fignon, claveyrolat and hampsten all did the best times of their careers chasing epo-driven chiappucci, Indurain and Bugno in 1991.

That year Lemond thought he was having an off year after dominating the first week. He couldn't explain why the peloton was going so fast, instead of slowing some riders seemed to get stronger and faster as the tour grew longer. Usually the best in the third week, lemond exhausted himself chasing the new epo wonders around France trying desperately to compete with them. And all the time wondering what was wrong with himself. Meantime he actually posted the best time of his career up l'alpe...But way behind the new epo kings.

Maybe you should have a look at the stage details firstly, in 91 it was the first mountain stage in the Alps and was only 129km in distance and the preceding climbs were the minor Col de Bayard right at the start of the stage and the gentle Col D'Ornon(avg 3.8%).

Compare that to 89 for example when the stage was run over the Galibier and the Croix de fer before reaching Alpe d'huez and was the third Alpine stage following the mountain TT and the stage over the Izoard into Briancon.

This why it is pure folly to pick out and compare individual times of individual years, how would they produce similar times when conditions are different?? Yes you can look at climbing times and see a general pattern in the increase in speed during the 90s and a slight decline in more recent times but to compare individual years can be misleading especially if the routes are very different.

Why would the 91 Alpe times be so fast and then the 92 times so much slower if EPO was the main factor?

How did LeMond go from 46/48 minutes or whatever in 86 to 42 minutes in 91, surely that is a nailed on sign of doping:rolleyes:

BTW I am not saying Bugno/Chiappucci were not on EPO in 91 but a lot of guys were fast up Alpe d'huez in 91. Plus the super clean LeMond went faster in 91 than so-called uber-dopers like Valverde and Frank Schleck in 2008 and faster than Cadel. What does that say??

pmcg76 said:
Maybe you should have a look at the stage details firstly, in 91 it was the first mountain stage in the Alps and was only 129km in distance and the preceding climbs were the minor Col de Bayard right at the start of the stage and the gentle Col D'Ornon(avg 3.8%).

Compare that to 89 for example when the stage was run over the Galibier and the Croix de fer before reaching Alpe d'huez and was the third Alpine stage following the mountain TT and the stage over the Izoard into Briancon.

This why it is pure folly to pick out and compare individual times of individual years, how would they produce similar times when conditions are different?? Yes you can look at climbing times and see a general pattern in the increase in speed during the 90s and a slight decline in more recent times but to compare individual years can be misleading especially if the routes are very different.

Why would the 91 Alpe times be so fast and then the 92 times so much slower if EPO was the main factor?

How did LeMond go from 46/48 minutes or whatever in 86 to 42 minutes in 91, surely that is a nailed on sign of doping:rolleyes:

BTW I am not saying Bugno/Chiappucci were not on EPO in 91 but a lot of guys were fast up Alpe d'huez in 91. Plus the super clean LeMond went faster in 91 than so-called uber-dopers like Valverde and Frank Schleck in 2008 and faster than Cadel. What does that say??

That's kind of the whole purpose of this project, collect as much data as possible and put it through whatever formula the authors came up with and designate it as realistic or whatever. Stage difficulty and all the other factors were taken into consideration. You pointed out that '89 was a difficult stage compared to '91. His power averages were 5.6 & 5.88 w/k respectively, which falls in line with your stage descriptions.

'86 was the joyride up the Alpe w/ Bernard, that's where the 48:00 comes from (4.94 w/k). I almost could have kept up with that.

As you pointed out, there are plenty of questions worth asking. I dont view this stuff as gospel, but do find it interesting and useful.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/vayer-casts-doubt-over-performances-of-indurain-and-jalabert

eh?

Jalabert was a doper, but something is being lost here.

1996 Covadonga was probably his best climb performance. 1997 he was very good as support for Zülle, but finished 30 seconds behind the stage winner.

In Mende I think he lost substantial time to Indurain and Pantani as he was in the break for most of the stage. If that was 495 watts I dread to think how much they produced. Oh, and it was a 9 minute climb.

Le breton said:
Nice job!!!

I have all 200, but the chart with names gets a little crowded hence the top 5 chart. Here they all are with just the times. All very nice but TBH, I'm not sure you can draw too many conclusions from this.

AlpeDHuezAscentTimes-top200times_zps675c65de.jpg

Wow. If anyone ever doubted that 1991 was the beginning of the end...

I think breukink got the record in 1990. Not surprising since he may have been already experimenting with epo. Pen was definitely an early adopter with Rudy dhaenens and the other pdm rider at the 1990 WC that year and alcala and breukinks otherworldly tt-ing that year.

But, holy crap batman, 1991 is like a jet-fueled rocket taking off with some clean riders being pulled along to career record times trying to chase big mig, Chiappucci and bugno.

thehog said:

Vayer & Fuller both echo JV's sentiments in regards to the 'cleanerness' of the peleton :D (just kidding hog, "peloton"). I don't much care for this statement though:

The authors claim their projected data comes in at about one-percent higher than actual watts generated by Horner on marked climbs, though one measurement differs by as much as 9 percent, up the west Tourmalet ascent, so it’s important to take the metrics with a grain of salt.

So not only is there the power calculations' margin of error but there's also all those old-fashioned hillbilly non-cooling-down pro racers that we have to wonder how well their equipment is calibrated. Regardless, 9 percent is unacceptable. They should provide details of their verifications and I would hope they could get more than one rider to provide the necessary data to compare their methods to.

Alex Simmons/RST said:
and a frequency chart

AlpeDHuezAscentTimesFrequency_zps76bab906.jpg

Hi, thanks for doing this work. Dont like to point things out when i didnt put the effort in but 1999 is missed off? Also, alpe d'huez was climbed more times in the 80s/early 90s, with some ascents seeing no-one record a top 200 time (are there any records of those anywhere, maybe they werent timed or there is no video left which gives an accurate time?). For instance, after the 1991 peak, there appears to be no-one in the top 200 from when it was climbed in 1992. No-one in 1990 either. This makes 1991 look like a bit misleading, the reason for the fast climb was presumably, as already noted, the short length of the stage and the lack of big mountains beforehand.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alpe_d'Huez

Frosty said:
Hi, thanks for doing this work. Dont like to point things out when i didnt put the effort in but 1999 is missed off?
Oops, nice spot.

Corrected chart:

AlpeDHuezAscentTimesFrequency_zps283574b0.jpg

Frosty said:
Also, alpe d'huez was climbed more times in the 80s/early 90s, with some ascents seeing no-one record a top 200 time

I'm just going off the available published data. If other relevant comparable data exists, happy to add it.

I was also thinking about charting some form of weighted speed average for the top riders.

Aug 12, 2009
Visit site
Big Doopie said:
Wow. If anyone ever doubted that 1991 was the beginning of the end...

I think breukink got the record in 1990. Not surprising since he may have been already experimenting with epo. Pen was definitely an early adopter with Rudy dhaenens and the other pdm rider at the 1990 WC that year and alcala and breukinks otherworldly tt-ing that year.

But, holy crap batman, 1991 is like a jet-fueled rocket taking off with some clean riders being pulled along to career record times trying to chase big mig, Chiappucci and bugno.

That's it. What the Clinic has long said. Lemond was the last clean Tour winner.

That graph shows why Sastre's time from 2008 was blood bag assisted. Just a joke. He went as fast as Big Mig did in 91, actually about 20 seconds faster.

Not normal. ;)

Fearless Greg Lemond said:
The problem with your statement here is there a numerous riders who are hitting the 'humanly possible' nowadays. Santambroggio did it too. Yet scientists like you wouldnt label him as for what he is: a doper, who stayed within the limits of believability. Ricco the same, Di Luca 2009 the same. No dopers for you yet we the non - scientists here can spot a doper from 40 miles out.

No, problem is elsewhere.

Santambroggio, Di Luca, Ricco are easy cases - they are all proven dopers. Same with Pantani and Armstrong. Pantani´s 36:50 Alpe D´Huez - again, easy.
The problem is how to judge Samuel Sanchez 41:24 Alpe or Cadel Evans 42.07 Alpe- The problem is how to judge Thomas Voeckler or Bauke Mollema, Nico Roche, Dan Martin, Nairo Quintana? Or even how to judge Contador in 2007,2009, 2013?

Aug 12, 2009
Visit site
Fearless Greg Lemond said:
That is frigging disgusting. Herrera not even making the top 150.
160. Luis Herrera ________ COL | 41:50 | 1987

Agreed. Absolutely disgusting. Best solo time in the whole group from a guy you could bank on being clean and he comes in at 160th place. What a horrible joke.

Lemond's 91 time is quicker, but lets face it, he was probably drafting behind epo fueled rockets for the first part of the climb and then went absolutely to his limit. Didn't even make the top 5 for that year.

It's funny looking at the years. 2006 for instance. Anyone here wanna have a crack and say Evans or Rogers never doped? Look how much faster they went that year versus 2008 and 2011. Clean for sure! :rolleyes: Oh it's clean now...my bad.

I had no idea Sastre has THREE sub 40 minute times. Never went under 39 minutes, but no way did he do that clean. No wonder CSC left 2008 all down to Alpe d'Huez. They knew he could do it. Mind you if Evans had done his 2006 time he'd have won the Tour comfortably with over a minute in his pocket.

The whole list is one giant insult to clean cycling. Wall to wall of dopers with between maybe 2 to 5 clean performances in the whole top 200. Anyone wanna bet they won't crack 41 minutes this year? The way the riding is going they will annihilate it.

Aug 12, 2009
Visit site
Von Mises said:
No, problem is elsewhere.

Santambroggio, Di Luca, Ricco are easy cases - they are all proven dopers. Same with Pantani and Armstrong. Pantani´s 36:50 Alpe D´Huez - again, easy.
The problem is how to judge Samuel Sanchez 41:24 Alpe or Cadel Evans 42.07 Alpe- The problem is how to judge Thomas Voeckler or Bauke Mollema, Nico Roche, Dan Martin, Nairo Quintana? Or even how to judge Contador in 2007,2009, 2013?

Ask Vayer. He'll tell you the low down and give you a no frills answer.

You won't like what he says BTW.

Ferminal said:
The more you think about it the more remarkable Contador's 2011 performance was.

it is only my opinion but without the full bagarre on galibier(which was of tremendous caliber), alberto would have beaten or came few seconds close to marco's record time on alpe. also more than a dozen riders under 40 minutes for sure. voeckler had a 38 minutes on alpe that day in his legs. the power of his legs fucced his mind though, he thought he was immortal

also absolutely hilarious how some people make saints from the riders of the '80s...if the kerosene would have appeared right on 13 july 1982, on 14th july 1982, you will have it uber used in the peloton.

every generation of riders fought with the available weapons.

and again 1991 alpe time is wrong, seems like none of those times are verified, just taken from wiki or portoleau. and it scrrews all of your (rather beautiful) tables and graphics