• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Cleanest Rider/Team Of The 90s- Early/Mid 00s

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Dave_1 said:
I wonder how many visits LA made to Michelle 95-96?
I think maybe LA would have GC podiumed at 1996
TDF on his cocktail and cancer stopped that
performance happening. Healthy and doped?
be damn scary how many podium girls he could have impregnated healthy'n'bilaterally

/grammar

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Von Mises said:
What kind of investigation you are talking about? Only thing what I do remember about Mitsubishi was that they signed Vandenbroucke and fired couple of months later.
my memory is usually elephantine, but cant remember the exact details. even when i searched on the french record website dopage.fr or whatever it is, there was no record.

someone called me up on it, when I brought it up, when there was a mention of moncoutie and tombak at cofidis. and i corrected him. and they challenged me.

i can remember cos of the visceral nature. i believed what kirsipuu had said. then i got a shock horror.

this was my second stage of doping truth realisation.

and i thought he should have got leadership over ogrady on the flat stages for cofidis, because he was doing equal or better in bunch kicks, with no help.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Netserk said:
More like either a bad BB or simply a hunger knock (whilst still doping).
nah, the Mapei staff were impressed, the word was they said "great, cos we have not given him anything". implied brackets yet close brackets

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Benito said:
I like the title of this thread, we are looking for the cleanest rider/team from this period. Meaning the rider/team doesn't necessarily have to be clean, just cleaner than others.

To answer your ? yea one or the other

The Hitch said:
The site was created by a former poster here who also posts daily on a second cycling forum.

I still post here, just less often. :)

It is very, very difficult to pick out examples, which is why I dislike websites like http://www.realtourwinner.com - you can only ever be sure someone doped given the appropriate revelations, but not that they were clean.

No prolific winner was clean. Those cited here who managed to win anything at all did so mostly by opportunism.

Sandy Casar might have raced clean. As he himself said at the end of last year:

We can’t know what might have happened in other circumstances. When a whole team is doped, it can control or block a race, it can pull back breakaways ... Maybe I sometimes even benefited from their work without knowing it. In effect, everything was falsified. One of the terrible things about doping is that we don’t know who really was good and who wasn't.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/casar-doping-falsified-everything

Thus providing a summary for this whole thread. :)

I don't think you can be 100%. I wouldn't put my hand in the fire for any rider.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
L'arriviste said:
I still post here, just less often. :)

It is very, very difficult to pick out examples, which is why I dislike websites like http://www.realtourwinner.com - you can only ever be sure someone doped given the appropriate revelations, but not that they were clean.

No prolific winner was clean. Those cited here who managed to win anything at all did so mostly by opportunism.

Sandy Casar might have raced clean. As he himself said at the end of last year:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/casar-doping-falsified-everything

Thus providing a summary for this whole thread. :)

I don't think you can be 100%. I wouldn't put my hand in the fire for any rider.

Not sure what your definition is of prolific winner, but does Edwig van Hooydonck count? Had 5-6 victories per year in the early 90's and a couple of big wins like the Ronde van Vlaanderen(twice) and the Brabantse Pijl.

He seemed clean to me, but I'm not an expert in doping like you though. :p

Would've probably won more races in a different era(not that there is such a thing as a clean era).

I've heard some convincing reports on Dutch riders, road and track. Taking their legal supplements VERY seriously, investing serious time in research and of course self-testing. If hard core doping gets harder, and supplements offer more gain every year, the difference between the two might indeed be diminishing.

A few clean riders may be flashing through your screen once in a while, but don't expect them to solo to numerous classics wins, let alone uphill finish ones.

Riders I heard of were very recent cases of suspected clean riding though, not mid-00's.

El Pistolero said:
Not sure what your definition is of prolific winner, but does Edwig van Hooydonck count?

He seemed clean to me, but I'm not an expert in doping like you though. :p

He does count but I wouldn't really call him a prolific winner even though he has an excellent palmares.

The story goes that Edwig quit cycling because he couldn't compete with EPO. Those who decided to join the arms race clearly enjoyed a longer career, whereas Edwig's was comparatively short.

Since the OP asks about teams, Raas' Buckler/Wordperfect was on the wrong side of the arms race, though I very much doubt it was "clean" by the standards we're talking here.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Cloxxki said:
I've heard some convincing reports on Dutch riders, road and track. Taking their legal supplements VERY seriously, investing serious time in research and of course self-testing. If hard core doping gets harder, and supplements offer more gain every year, the difference between the two might indeed be diminishing.

A few clean riders may be flashing through your screen once in a while, but don't expect them to solo to numerous classics wins, let alone uphill finish ones.

Riders I heard of were very recent cases of suspected clean riding though, not mid-00's.
any rabo DIII ?

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
True And Thats What I Was trying to go on my second to last post i did earlier, Just because a rider rode on "dirty" teams does that means hes dirty too.

Van Hooydonck quit the sport in 1996 because he refused get on the Rabo program and he certainly should count as a prolific winner.
I'm fairly confident that Moncoutie, Fedrigo and Casar rode clean.
If you believe what Manzano says, Santi Blanco also rode clean.

Marco Pinotti and Gustav Larsson also may be clean riders, w don't have too much info about them but there statements and actions point to them being clean.

Out of Grand Tour Winners from 90 onwards Carlos Sastre perhaps has the least baggage.

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
Netserk said:
More like either a bad BB or simply a hunger knock (whilst still doping).
I think records will show Evans fell apart multiple times in latter part of giro 02 so not surehunger knock only reason...1st year pro too on road...

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
DirtyWorks said:
Edwig Van Hooydonck.

Probably the greatest pontential Belgian cycling legend since Merckx. EPO ended all that.

Look at the results. He's maybe 25 and winning spring classics.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edwig_Van_Hooydonck

An English language summary: http://www.velominati.com/the-hardmen/awesome-belgian-guys-edwig-van-hooydonk/

Another telling with more riders accused: http://cyclingheroes.tripod.com/cyclingheroes.english2/id615.html

Eddy Bosberg was never a grand tour winner in the making...but he was robbed of his career in the 1990s by like of musseuw

TRENDING THREADS