• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Cleanest Rider/Team Of The 90s- Early/Mid 00s

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
May 28, 2012
Visit site
Fearless Greg Lemond said:
Eric Boyer
Frans Maassen
Eddy Bouwmans

Eddy Bouwmans confessed earlier this year. And Maassen, who was fighting it out with 'walking pharmacy' Fignon in MSR? You can't know for sure, but he did retire early. Perhaps he was only afraid of starting to use EPO, besides other stuff he was taking, like Van Hooydonck?

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
Pentacycle said:
Eddy Bouwmans confessed earlier this year. And Maassen, who was fighting it out with 'walking pharmacy' Fignon in MSR? You can't know for sure, but he did retire early. Perhaps he was only afraid of starting to use EPO, besides other stuff he was taking, like Van Hooydonck?

Fignon is dead probably through the drug abuse he did...show some heart , some sympathy FFS..Bouwmans confession not reported.

One thing, to take a slight contra stance, is Mussuew in 1990 TDF was very good..pre EPO by the looks...so while Eddy Bosberg was robbed of cobble classics career by him...Eddy would have had to share it a little as Mussuew was good without the juice

Pentacycle said:

Can you post a link for Bouwmans? I'm not aware of such a confession. Thanks!

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
Pentacycle said:
The topic is called 'cleanest' rider, riders not on EPO fall in to that category, at least for me.

Bouwmans according to Zonneveld tried cortisone once, and it didnt work out for him. No epo.
edit: wow, just saw the article, that is sad

Maassen was a great rider in his days, oldskool products perhaps, no epo. Quit cycling partly because of it. I didnt like him but he was good.
His ethics are somehow moved when he entered into Directeur Sportif over the years, must be said.
http://www.ad.nl/ad/nl/1401/ad/integration/nmc/frameset/varia/kobala_article.dhtml?artid=rd029868
Nice quote on Boogerd there.

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
diorgen said:
I think every rider on a pro tour team has or is doing some kind of doping. There is not a single clean rider, and probably hasn't been for decades.

Well you can't really say that for certain mate

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
diorgen said:
I think every rider on a pro tour team has or is doing some kind of doping. There is not a single clean rider, and probably hasn't been for decades.
this would be my position.

a caveat for a few small time riders and GL. but sorry Greg, I am not in the "you doped too camp" but agnostic on it, and ambivalent to tell the truth

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
euroking said:
Well you can't really say that for certain mate
well, for a body and sport that lives off myth and needs the media and tv to broadcast its race and marketing, they really suck at PR.

bring in hearst from the grave

and bernays

why they could not be like a gecko and hive carcinogenic levers not on mainbody, excise them off the core for scapegoats.

but MORE scapegoats. They got their proportions out of whack. In my educated opinion, they were only running on an efficiency of 20% for their scapegoat rubric.

They needed to go 5:1 versus current scapegoats. keep it a bit more real and believable.

i got the solution.

_______________________jonny vee!
JVftw 2 da rescue

Jun 11, 2012
Visit site
To the extent of my knowledge there were quite a few clean pros circa 89-91... but many/most were not 'known names/big hitters'... this was obviously prior to the UCI 'No-Needle' policy and back then it wasn't frowned upon to 'prepare' oneself with legal products, vitamins, supplements etc... most being injectable. Just my take on it...

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
hrotha said:
Yeah, you're going to have to elaborate on that one. Moncoutié is not a rider you can simply say isn't clean with two words without further explanation, as there's a wide consensus about him, based on the data currently available to us. This is a bit like challenging a established scientific theory: it can be done, it should be done, but it needs proper backing.

If anyone but you had said that, it would have been simply dismissed. You have credibility, but we need more than that to discard our point of reference for clean cycling.
Just bumping this.

Bumping it again and adding that Vaughters suggested somewhere on this forum that Moncoutie (being the beacon of clean cycling in the Clinic) had stranger blood values than some of the guys whose cleanliness is doubted on this forum.

GJB123 said:
Bumping it again and adding that Vaughters suggested somewhere on this forum that Moncoutie (being the beacon of clean cycling in the Clinic) had stranger blood values than some of the guys whose cleanliness is doubted on this forum.

I don't think JV actually named Moncoutie, just a cyclist the clinic beieved clean

del1962 said:
I don't think JV actually named Moncoutie, just a cyclist the clinic beieved clean

I think you are correct that he didn't name names. he hardly could have in his position. However I thought the inference was clear, at least to me, that he was referring to Moncoutie. I could be wrong though.

May 30, 2010
Visit site
The sad thing about this thread is that people are really struggling to come up with names.....

I would like to think sastre but everything is stacked against him: being Spanish, being on CSC, winning the tour....

TRENDING THREADS