• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Click on first link on main page... 404 error!

At the top left of the main cyclingnews.com home page is a big inane Flash box entitled "Today on cyclingnews.com" in which the titles of half a dozen or so featured pieces are highlighted in turn, over and over. Is this a cycling news site, or Las Vegas?

Anyway... despite all the web designers' efforts to keep me from actually reading any cycling news on this newly redesigned all-form-no-function site, I managed to actually read the first title and found it to pique my interest -- Anti-doping clause not "permissible": CPA. So I thought I would actually read some news instead of hanging out in the forums, and I clicked on it. I was rewarded with the following lovely greeting:

404 - Page not found

The page you have requested is not available on our server.

It is possible the page has been moved, updated or deleted. Please click the back button on your browser and try another link.

www.cyclingnews.com/news/news/anti-doping-clause-not-permissable-cpa

For crying out loud...

Click the back button and try another link? How about try another website!

JUST SAY NO TO FLASH!!!

Ninety5rpm said:
Sigh. The problem is that the news/news/ should be just news/.

LOL! I just confirmed this problem -- with the extra news/ component in the url -- is true of every single item listed in the inane "Today on cyclingnews.com" Flash box.

I wonder how long that has been the case. Could it be that nobody noticed because nobody has been clicking on these things?

All form no function. Just say no to Flash!

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
comment about new web site

I use to go to cycling news all the time. The new web site is very non user friendly. It takes too long to go from page to page, it is very confusing, have to go through too many pages to get list resutls and other things, I can't even find the UCI 2009 calendar, i've spoken to others who feel the same. you tried to get too fancy and made yourself over the top into a gloob. the site is work to use. it is not worth going to. i'm going to look for another site that is more user friendly. i do hope others complain so you'll make the site user friendly and or go back to your previous site. any way i'm very disappointmed with cycling news. It's always been there with the latest but now the latest is there somewhere and it takes too long to find or to get to because of all the advertisements. the site is like going down broadway in New York bright lights.

Ninety5rpm said:
LOL! I just confirmed this problem -- with the extra news/ component in the url -- is true of every single item listed in the inane "Today on cyclingnews.com" Flash box.

I wonder how long that has been the case. Could it be that nobody noticed because nobody has been clicking on these things?
It's fixed now, great.
The links in the Flash box actually point to real articles now, but I still think the best solution is to remove the box altogether. Just say no to duplicate information. We need a single focal point for all information and updates - and that should be the News Editions section.