• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

clincher wheel selection - what's best

Jul 8, 2009
Visit site
Hi Guys,

On a clincher wheel and looking at Mavic R system, Easton EA90 SLX, or Shimano Durace 7850 C24 .

What is best - and also best aero dynamic , stongest - etc etc - all similar weight - they are light but difficult choice.

Can you help!!!!

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
well, that is a can of worms, a.k.a. opinions, but mine is for Mavic Ksyrium SL. I had the option of several prodeals and looked closely at the R-SYS, Eastons, and tubeless Dura-Ace.
The R-Sys are the least aero wheel out there. They would be a great climbing and criterium wheel, but I wasn't sure about the new technology, which has since gone through one recall.
I knew from my Crossmax SL's that Mavic wheels are incredibly durable and very light so that swayed my choice. (plus I liked the way the black premium SL's matched the rest of my bike). You can run them tubeless as well, even though they are not or were not rated as such. Tubeless was the big reason I was considering the shimano's. my two cents.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
i'm in the same boat of looking for a new sportiv wheel. Was looking at clinchers as need something I can change during an event which I think is going to rule out tubulars. As some of the roads on sportivs aren't the best in the world I need something durable and long lasting

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
taylor said:
Hi Guys,

On a clincher wheel and looking at Mavic R system, Easton EA90 SLX, or Shimano Durace 7850 C24 .

What is best - and also best aero dynamic , stongest - etc etc - all similar weight - they are light but difficult choice.

Can you help!!!!

STay away from the mavic R-Sys. Do a google search on recalled and then failing front wheels. shimano has the best hubset by far.

Mar 19, 2009
www.ridemagnetic.com
From those wheels you mentioned, I would go with Easton. They've been in the wheel game longer than most people think, as they used to be called Velomax back in the day, and have always built fantastic wheels. Those Mavic R-Sys wheels have been recalled, and was the biggest industry news at the beginning of the year, plastic spokes=junk, unless they're Lightweights. The Mavic wheel that I really miss is the Helium, that was a great wheel.

A good thing to know about the OP would be his requirements, riding style, weight, and local road conditions.

Mar 19, 2009
www.ridemagnetic.com
BroDeal said:
Custom built...

I'll let RDV weigh in on that.

Aside from that, anyone who is still considering an R-SYS after all the news about them is a fool.

Ha-ha:D Some people just don't get it. Most of the old-schoolers on the forum know that I have a strong opinion of prebuilts, but there are some decent ones out there. It all depends what tool you need for the job I guess. Personally, I cannot ride low spoke count aero wheels due to the fact that most every time I get on the horse, at least 30%-40% of the day is spent on gravel. I do put more credence in hand built, box section, 32h 3x, as I choose ride quality and durability over everything else. I roll carbon wheels for racing, but these mid range prebuilts are really the scourge of the wheel market, a gamble to say the least.

Jul 12, 2009
Visit site
Hi, Have ridden the eastons and mavic kysrium sls but have recently switched to reynolds attack carnon clinchers. Have to say, the reynolds are different class and got then for about £700 from my local bike shop. Jon

Jul 12, 2009
Visit site
Reynolds attack

Reynolds attack carbon clinchers. 1415g. Standard DT swiss spokes. Comes with carbon brake pads, tyre levers, spoke key. Better than any aluminium clinchers. Shop aropund on the internet and no more than £700-800.

TRENDING THREADS