• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

CN Forum members competitons referendum!

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Should editing be allowed?

• Unsure

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Timmy-loves-Rabo said:
I have a suggestion. I notice a lot of members with a single post making predictions. This indicates to me that some members might be making double accounts (maybe not always the case...). You can check their I.P addresses, but they can use proxies and what not.. overall it can become complicated.

Anyway maybe a protocol (i.e member must have minimum of 100 posts to take part in competition to take part) of some sort could fix this in the future.

I think a lot of people are following the live ticker, and signing up when they see the competition. Good way to recruit, I think. Anyone who joins up because they have an opinion on who'll win kuurne-brussel-kuurne might be a welcome addition.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Timmy-loves-Rabo said:
I have a suggestion. I notice a lot of members with a single post making predictions. This indicates to me that some members might be making double accounts (maybe not always the case...). You can check their I.P addresses, but they can use proxies and what not.. overall it can become complicated.

Anyway maybe a protocol (i.e member must have minimum of 100 posts to take part in competition to take part) of some sort could fix this in the future.

Agree - but it should be a little higher than 100 posts. I think 2000+ posts would be better.....just to be sure......ahem.

Timmy-loves-Rabo said:

There are lots of readers of CN who are not on the forums you know and who only learn about the competition from the main site or the live reports specifically.

Feb 14, 2010
Visit site
Timmy-loves-Rabo said:

No, I was checking in here last night (US time) when people started posting to the Flanders Podium Contest thread because that's where the link in the article took them. Inside, the titles are so small that they would have no reason to believe the link was wrong. The article also had a link encouraging new people to sign up, and I guess the prizes were cool enough to get them to do it. If it was a regular setting up fake accounts, they wouldn't have posted to a dead Flanders thread, or tried starting new threads.

After seeing the interaction in the LA thread last week, I thought that the influx of newbies was a good thing. I was even polite once :D, as it was like watching Freshmen trying to find their way around on the first day of school.

I think that from a business point of view, CN should have considered that since it was their own error, and these were the equivalent of new customers answering an ad, and someone should have gathered up all the newbie guesses in order and kept them in a separate thread. I don't know if any got it right or not, but if I went to a website and followed directions to enter a contest, I wouldn't be impressed if I had to go back and enter again, or missed out on an opportunity because I didn't go back. I've got two business degrees, including a recent MBA, and know you don't screw around with contest entries unless you want legal troubles. Plus there's the initial bad will to new members - why would someone who got burned return to the forum?

TRENDING THREADS