• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

CN website updates 2011

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 7, 2010
Visit site
Eyeballs Out said:
Would it be too much trouble for every race to have a link to the race from the previous year ?

We actually have a system in place for this, and some of the bigger races do use it (see the Tour de France underneath the list of stages). Unfortunately it's not something that's automatically applied to all races. I also think this is something that's lacking and I definitely think it's worth trying to figure out a better way to do it.

josnor said:
We actually have a system in place for this, and some of the bigger races do use it (see the Tour de France underneath the list of stages). Unfortunately it's not something that's automatically applied to all races. I also think this is something that's lacking and I definitely think it's worth trying to figure out a better way to do it.

Thanks for the reply. I think the Tour de France example is fine - if there's any way to do that for all races then I'd be all for it. Even if it was only applied from this day forward - well at least that would be something

As things stand - the only way I can see to do this currently is go through the calendar (which is really slow to load)

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
TeamSkyFans said:
If I turned up to a job interview wearing a coca cola tshirt, branded jeans and a huge Nike cap it doesnt matter what my ability, they would be put off by my appearance.

You've obviously never visited our offices. :) :)

Jun 3, 2009
Visit site
John Stevenson said:
Compiled news round-ups still exist for those who want to, say, print them out and read them on the train:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/editions

We know lots of people like them, so we haven't killed them off, just devoted the front page to a more immediate way of presenting news.

Is there a link on the home page for these?

They are great if you can only check once a week or so. Otherwise it is easy to miss a lot as it is a bit hard to wade through the other pages.

Pet hate of mine and perhaps it's been mentioned before, but...

On the right column of http://www.cyclingnews.com/road, the user trawls the list of headlines, then clicks on "More news headlines". On arriving at the next page, (s)he is presented with exactly the same set of headlines (s)he has just trawled and must click "More news" once again to get the actual next set of headlines.

I realise that the News Headlines page is a proper page in its own right, but linking to it when the user expects the "follow-on" from the latest stuff is a bit naff. :)

Apr 22, 2009
Visit site
Dont know if this is the right place to post but here goes;
Where do i find older information without going on an endless search?
2 examples:
1. Just tried to find the results for the womens La Fleche Wallone 2011.
Went to races & results but it only goes back to about 26/4/11 and the page ends. No second page or links to older entries etc. How do i find results less than 3 days old?
2. Was trying to find a tech article on any review of Lance Armstrongs TT bike. Again, go to the tech section which lists the last 5 or so pro bike reviews, but then no link to any other older reviews. I have to do a search and trawl thru numerous articles with the search words rather than searching Pro bike reviews only.
Am i missing something or is this the poor layout of this site?

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
fletch62 said:
Am i missing something or is this the poor layout of this site?

We're working all the time to make the site easier to use so thanks for you feedback. Help with your specific points...

1. This came up in the usability study it's on the list to fix but I'll raise it again. For now... go to the race calendar, select the year and ctrl-f/apple-f find the name of the race.

2. I found this (5th on the first page of results) by searching for "lance armstrong pro bike"
http://www.cyclingnews.com/features...ongs-team-radioshack-trek-speed-concept-unity

Filtering search results is something that will be possible in the future as well once Cyclingnews moves over to the latest version of Future's search solution.

Jul 22, 2010
Visit site
josnor said:
As Dan said, if you have any constructive suggestions about how to make the pages work better at the narrower size we'll definitely take them into consideration.

It's also worth highlighting that this is the first iteration of hopefully many. The change to fixed width has been the catalyst to improve many of the pages around the site and we'll continue that process throughout the year, de-cluttering the site, making things easier to find and generally making the site look nicer.

When I look in your CSS, you have fixed values on just about everything.
Why not do it the old-fashioned way, e.g. width 80% etc. (That allows for the adds on the right side) Then it will automatically adjust to screen-width.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
When you read the latest Wigans article "I'm not some s--t rider" you get to see another article "Kelly: Wiggins is mentally fragile".

Said article dates from yesterday, 14:50.

Yet when you click on it you just get to a larger selection of articles. On the front page, it is nowhere to be found.

Why was said article removed? Did Sky exercise pressure on Cyclingnews? I know they are very closely intertwined ...

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
Form Fitness Q&A

Hello, trying to search through the F&F Q&A I found a gap between the latest article in "autobus" from May 2009 and the oldest article in present website from October 2011. Are those articles in between anywhere to be found? And btw, has the Q&A been canceled this year?

Also, at the bottom of the website, there is link to fitness which doesn't work - it points to tags/fitness and correct is tags/fitness.

Other than that, I love cyclingnews :)

Thanks