• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Cobo Appreciation Thread

May 17, 2011
Visit site
I think its about time to really give all due praises to Cobo in this forum :eek:. I have been looking for his thread but to no avail :mad:. This is his moment, this is his time.

Yeah Cobo has shown real balls. This isnt an easy sport. When a rider marks attacks 2 climbs in a row like the ones thrown by Froome, hes not doing that on base talent. Hes killing himself, putting himself into a lot of pain.

Chapeau.

I guess its largely the fact that hes another Spanish climber, though with no particularly remarkable style or performance. Hes just another Spanish climber, so doesnt stand out.

If he does win there likely will be no repeat. This is his moment in the sun.

But im liking the signs with bull horns and all.

Also i think Froome is more deserving of this Vuelta than Cobo but JJ is also very deserving.

Enjoy your moment jj.

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
The Hitch said:
Yeah Cobo has shown real balls. This isnt an easy sport. When a rider marks attacks 2 climbs in a row like the ones thrown by Froome, hes not doing that on base talent. Hes killing himself, putting himself into a lot of pain.

Chapeau.

I guess its largely the fact that hes another Spanish climber, though with no particularly remarkable style or performance. Hes just another Spanish climber, so doesnt stand out.

If he does win there likely will be no repeat. This is his moment in the sun.

But im liking the signs with bull horns and all.

Also i think Froome is more deserving of this Vuelta than Cobo but JJ is also very deserving.

Enjoy your moment jj.

I think Cobo may suprise you and do well next year again. Maybe a bit stronger in the early season, and then finish it with another vuelta win.

I think he stands out with him being "el bisonte". But yeah i know what you mean, he still needs to prove himself next year.

He deserves this win. He is probably the strongest climber in this race: evidenced by angliru and that other mtf where he got away.

chapeau senor cobo!

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
Swede1 said:
I think Cobo may suprise you and do well next year again. Maybe a bit stronger in the early season, and then finish it with another vuelta win.

I think he stands out with him being "el bisonte". But yeah i know what you mean, he still needs to prove himself next year.

He deserves this win. He is probably the strongest climber in this race: evidenced by angliru and that other mtf where he got away.

chapeau senor cobo!

Contador is riding the Vuelta next year, so not happening.

Yeah I know about their battles and how evenly matched they were in amateur races but now Cobo is no match for Contador for all means and purposes.

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
Probably the total failure of Nibali, JRod, Scarponi, Anton and Wiggo let us to enjoy of Cobo and Froome.

Comparision Peña Cabarga climb with last year JRod (Froome and Cobo 10 secdonds slower) it's a proof to me of clean racing and perfect peak for both.

Cobo had isolated results in the past, a total surprise this big performances in a row in a GT but plausible to me if his head is ok and his reaching the 30s the peak of a cyclist.

The Asturians climbs prove that he is the best climber of this edition. Help for Sky politics but isn't his responsablity.

For me Cobo is a new Pereiro, a major win one year and good results for the rest of his career. Maybe he can get a good contract as superdomestique in Tdf and lead a team in other races. We see.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Forunculo said:
Probably the total failure of Nibali, JRod, Scarponi, Anton and Wiggo let us to enjoy of Cobo and Froome.

Comparision Peña Cabarga climb with last year JRod (Froome and Cobo 10 secdonds slower) it's a proof to me of clean racing and perfect peak for both.
Cobo had isolated results in the past, a total surprise this big performances in a row in a GT but plausible to me if his head is ok and his reaching the 30s the peak of a cyclist.

The Asturians climbs prove that he is the best climber of this edition. Help for Sky politics but isn't his responsablity.

For me Cobo is a new Pereiro, a major win one year and good results for the rest of his career. Maybe he can get a good contract as superdomestique in Tdf and lead a team in other races. We see.

Facepalm- 10 seconds slower than Rodriguez and they are clean? FFS!

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
Facepalm- 10 seconds slower than Rodriguez and they are clean? FFS!

When someone discuss about Nibali and JRod performances this year it can see this year are worse by far.

Cobo and Froome aren't surpassing thoso two level this year.

I don't know what Froome rode this year but Cobo didn't ride to much, only Burgos a month ago and he is fresh and I suppose Froome the same. The rest are poisoned by brutal Giro.

That's my view. Maybe Cobo is guilt but untill now is clean for me

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
Forunculo said:

Really ? :confused:

Got safe podium. Had no preparation for Vuelta and no races riden before it and manages podium. How is that a fail ? ?

Aug 1, 2009
Visit site
Forunculo said:

For me the total failure has been Nibali and Anton, I don't understand why such poor perfomances (Giro can't be an excuse).

Wiggins has done well I didn't expect more from him, and Purito well too he can take the Green maillot and two stages win but I never considered him as a GT contender, too bad TT and always crack in some mountain stage

Scarponi was sick so it doesn't count.

About Cobo I reckon I didn't know much about him, but after some researchs I'm sure he is better than Pereiro, he is talented , I heard he is lazy, he doesn't like training¡¡, with a good sports psychologist and a good trainning program he can win serious things.

Froome was really good, amazing, good TTer, climber , young , I want to see him against the dark horses in the TDF, he is ready.

Good Vuelta edition so far.

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
sultanofhyd said:
Contador is riding the Vuelta next year, so not happening.

Yeah I know about their battles and how evenly matched they were in amateur races but now Cobo is no match for Contador for all means and purposes.

You know, Cadel Evans was riding the Vuelta this year :p

Aug 1, 2009
Visit site
Dekker_Tifosi said:
Cobo is not lazy. Cobo is mentally unstable. He has been depressed and lost fun in cycling. Only since a few months has he come around again.
In his youth Cobo was a big talent like Contador even.

He said literally in an interview after a stage that he doesn't like trainning:

"-Siempre dice que el ciclismo es un trabajo. ¿Tanto le cuesta entrenarse?
-Me cuesta. Disfrutaba de la bicicleta cuando era niño. Sin presión. Iba a las carreras y si ganaba, bien; si no, no pasaba nada. Ahora tengo que cumplir unos objetivos. Por eso lo considero un trabajo. Soy ciclista porque me gusta, pero no para dejarme la vida en esto. Podría trabajar en otra cosa y no tendría ningún problema.
- Va a entrenar como el que va a la obra. No le gusta.
- Me gusta poco, pero hay que hacerlo. Me meto mucha presión porque pienso que la gente espera mucho de mí. El no poder responder a esas expectativas es lo que hace que me agobie y me cueste entrenar, cuidarme… Yo mismo no me ayudo mucho porque no tengo muchas aficiones. Me gusta estar en casa con la familia, ver la tele. Estoy siempre en casa y por eso le doy muchas vueltas a todo."

-He always says that cycling is a job. So much it costs to train?
-I can not. I enjoyed the bike as a kid. No pressure. Going to the races and if he wins, well, if not, nothing happened. Now I have to meet certain goals. So I consider it a job. I bike because I like, but not for me in this life. Could work on something else and have no problem.
- You will train like the one that goes to work. He does not like.
- I like much, but to do it. I get a lot of pressure because I think people expect a lot from me. Failing to meet these expectations is what overwhelms me and makes me train cost, take care ... I myself did not help much because I have many hobbies. I like being at home with family, watching TV. I am always at home and for that I give a lot of laps all

Note: I used google translator, too lazy on weekends :)

Resource: http://www.elnortedecastilla.es/v/20110906/deportes/ciclismo/cuesta-entrenar-20110906.html

Just type on Google: Juanjo Cobo entrenar, you will see more resources

indeed he's not the complete dedicated professional rider...a lot of ups and downs in his carreer.i guess that's why i appreciate his performance in this vuelta even more,i really hope he will stay calm these two days and will get the win.

vamos el bisonte!

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
I'm enjoying watching Cobo very much. I had pinned my hopes on Nibali, well, he may as well not be in the race at all.

Cobo is fun to watch - regardless of what happens to him going forward, he's made this race a pleasure. At least someone has done that! :)

Dekker_Tifosi said:
if you read carefully he says he doesn't like training because of the pressure of getting results...

it's not that he is lazy. It has to do again with his mental unstability
No, it's not that the pressure gives him a mental block and he can't train, it's that he can't train if there's no pressure, if there's not a big race in sight. He couldn't motivate himself to train for the Tour of Slovenia, for example. At least that's what he said in virtually every other interview I've read - that one Spaniard posted is an oddity.

Jun 29, 2009
Visit site
On german Eurosport the commentators reported that Cobo has said that he sits in front of the TV all day and gets "strange ideas"...Froome should probably not try to win this thing.

Aug 1, 2009
Visit site
hrotha said:
No, it's not that the pressure gives him a mental block and he can't train, it's that he can't train if there's no pressure, if there's not a big race in sight. He couldn't motivate himself to train for the Tour of Slovenia, for example. At least that's what he said in virtually every other interview I've read - that one Spaniard posted is an oddity.

How would you call a guy who don't want to train if there is no pressure ? not exactly a hard working guy.

In another interview he said: "Cycling is not my passion , just my job"

It seems to me that he is not full motivated like other riders, that's why i think he is pure talent. With another mentality he would be a first class rider.

TRENDING THREADS