• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Cobo Appreciation Thread

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Spaniard said:
How would you call a guy who don't want to train if there is no pressure ? not exactly a hard working guy.

In another interview he said: "Cycling is not my passion , just my job"

It seems to me that he is not full motivated like other riders, that's why i think he is pure talent. With another mentality he would be a first class rider.

yes and i guess there are lots of other examples,rujano,moncoutie and so on...

i think tomorrow if everything goes well,he will explode because you could feel in his voice how stressed he is.

Aug 1, 2009
Visit site
Dekker_Tifosi said:
He said all those things while depressed. I wouldn't attach too much value to interviews in that period.

What?¡, he said that when he won in Angliru, I heard the conversation. And the link i put before was when he took the red maillot, I don't think he is depressed now.

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
You don't need to go that far from Cobo's homeland to find a 3-times WC who is not exactly a hard working man. It must be the water they drink :cool:

May 14, 2010
Visit site
Spaniard said:
For me the total failure has been Nibali and Anton, I don't understand why such poor perfomances (Giro can't be an excuse).

Wiggins has done well I didn't expect more from him, and Purito well too he can take the Green maillot and two stages win but I never considered him as a GT contender, too bad TT and always crack in some mountain stage

Scarponi was sick so it doesn't count.

About Cobo I reckon I didn't know much about him, but after some researchs I'm sure he is better than Pereiro, he is talented , I heard he is lazy, he doesn't like training¡¡, with a good sports psychologist and a good trainning program he can win serious things.

Froome was really good, amazing, good TTer, climber , young , I want to see him against the dark horses in the TDF, he is ready.

Good Vuelta edition so far.

Dekker_Tifosi said:
if you read carefully he says he doesn't like training because of the pressure of getting results...

it's not that he is lazy. It has to do again with his mental unstability

Could be he's lazy, could be he's depressed, could be the win-at-all-costs mentality that permeates much of pro cycling doesn't suit him and (almost) ruined it for him. (I sometimes think Sastre feels that way, too.)

I frankly know nothing about Cobo, other than his ride up Hautacam in 2008 with Piepoli, which disgusted me (yes, I know he didn't get caught); and, that he was considered on par with Contador when they were juniors. Today I learned something that endeared him to me: he planned to quit at the end of last year. He was going to become either a cook or an electrician. I guess one of his DSes said give it one more year, Cobo. You still have something in you. And he did, of course.

To me all this says volumes about his character, and what a down-to-earth guy he is. I started out this Vuelta not liking him, but now I have a lot of respect for the guy and I'm glad he won. Chapeau Cobo!

b6c847.png

Maxiton said:
Could be he's lazy, could be he's depressed, could be the win-at-all-costs mentality that permeates much of pro cycling doesn't suit him and (almost) ruined it for him. (I sometimes think Sastre feels that way, too.)

I frankly know nothing about Cobo, other than his ride up Hautacam in 2008 with Piepoli, which disgusted me (yes, I know he didn't get caught); and, that he was considered on par with Contador when they were juniors. Today I learned something that endeared him to me: he planned to quit at the end of last year. He was going to become either a cook or an electrician. I guess one of his DSes said give it one more year, Cobo. You still have something in you. And he did, of course.

To me all this says volumes about his character, and what a down-to-earth guy he is. I started out this Vuelta not liking him, but now I have a lot of respect for the guy and I'm glad he won. Chapeau Cobo!

Yes, I don't really know Cobo that well, but the more I hear, the more I like him. Great to see his joy when he crossed the line today. At thirty he might just be entering his prime as a stage racer, hope to see much more from him.

Jul 8, 2009
Visit site
Congratulations Juan Jose, watching you win has lifted my spirits, I've been a keen fan since TDF 2008, you've been an angel to so many of us. Good training and good luck for the future :)

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
treatment for Cobo?

well, lack of motivation, depressions, no passion, just a job... given the amount of "food supplements" the top sportsmen take, how about adding something for their heads, psychowizards will surely welcome such clients (or gynaeclogists, they may know something about treating menopausal syndromes)

May 14, 2010
Visit site
doperhopper said:
well, lack of motivation, depressions, no passion, just a job... given the amount of "food supplements" the top sportsmen take, how about adding something for their heads, psychowizards will surely welcome such clients (or gynaeclogists, they may know something about treating menopausal syndromes)

Yeah, gynecologists and pro cycling often seem to go together. Don't ask me why. :eek:

May 14, 2010
Visit site
hfer07 said:
He has just joined Evans & Sastre to the One GT winners Club. Good for him & hope he makes the best out of it :)

danjo007 said:
tell me hfer07. how many GT's have you won? Thoughtso :D

I think what we ought to do, Danjo007, is take all such statements, by Hfer07 and several others, and bookmark them. Then, when Evans (or Cobo, to keep this on topic) wins another GT, start a thread with all these statements pasted into it. :D What do you think? :D

TRENDING THREADS