• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Coffee Bean Recommendations

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
I need some coffee bean and coffee web retailer recommendations.

I am tired of drinking Starbucks burnt beans and I would like to expand beyond espresso.

So what are some good web retailers that ship fresh good beans?

Thoughtforfood said:
http://store.jitteryjoes.com/category-s/33.htm

Though Kenya AA is my favorite: http://store.jitteryjoes.com/SearchResults.asp?Search=Kenya+AA&Search.x=0&Search.y=0

The best coffee I ever had was the stuff I drank in Costa Rica. They cut everything they send to the US with some Arabica, but the stuff served in house and in Europe is pure Costa Rican bean. Good stuff. However, I never get away from Kenya AA. It is the best tasting in my opinion by far.

trader joes has carried that kind of thing here in southern california for a long time. i don't know if they are in your town.

titan_90 said:

I am tired of drinking Starbucks burnt beans and I would like to expand beyond espresso.

Trader Joes has a lot of different kinds. they have been doing it a lot longer than
most places, if they are in your town.

A

Anonymous

Coffee beans need to be consumed as soon as possible after roasting. Look for whole bean bags with a one-way vent valve that are puffy. For a short period of time after beans are roasted they will give off a 'gas' that will inflate the bag they are in. With coffee, fresher is better. Never store beans in the freezer.

I like many types of varietal beans but my all-time favorite is Tanzania Peaberry. The beans are very small but generally have exceptional flavor.

Jul 16, 2009
Visit site
I agree with the Jittery Joes. They have some great coffee, but I found local roasters to be the best. If you can find one in your area, they can usually help you pick out something that you might like. You know it's fresh as you can buy it fresh from the roaster.

If no local roasters, check out Peets, Caribou, Dunn Brothers, and suprisingly Dunkin Donuts makes good coffee beans in a bag.

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
titan_90 said:

Caffe Vita/Seattle.

Mar 19, 2009
www.ridemagnetic.com
Peace Coffe.
"A cultural, social revolution with grounds firmly fixed in a farmer friendly, fair trade reality"

Most bike shops where I'm at locally buy bulk from this company, and they deliver by bike, bio diesel Sprinters for the long haul. They mail directly to you if you don't have a shop in your corner.

Favorite light roast: Colombian Heavy Pedal
Favorite dark roast: Blue Ox, and French

Jan 18, 2010
Visit site
mmm coffee

I've been lurking on these forums for a while, and here's a topic I might be able to contribute something useful to.

There's lots of good coffee that can be ordered fresh on the web.

Here's some favorites:

http://www.klatchroasting.com/
They roast 53x11 coffee btw.

http://www.intelligentsiacoffee.com/

http://www.thebestcoffee.com/

These companies ship their beans within in days of roasting. Since the off-gassing of CO2 mentioned above is fairly dramatic the first couple of days after roasting, the beans are best brewed after a "rest" period of a couple days. So if you order off the web from these or similar companies, your likely to get your coffee at it's peak freshness.

If you happen to be in Boulder, Co, then I have to plug Ozo Coffee company.
They're doing an incredible job, but they don't have an e-store yet.

For single origin coffee, I've been really enjoying stuff from Brazil this year.
I also had some Panamanian, and Columbian recently that were really tasty.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for the replies everyone:D

I have found a small batch coffee roaster twenty-minutes from me that I am going to try. I will also give Jittery Joe's and Peace Coffee a try as well as some of the other recommendations down the road.

ravens

BANNED
Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
Scott SoCal said:
Coffee beans need to be consumed as soon as possible after roasting. Look for whole bean bags with a one-way vent valve that are puffy. For a short period of time after beans are roasted they will give off a 'gas' that will inflate the bag they are in. With coffee, fresher is better. Never store beans in the freezer.

I like many types of varietal beans but my all-time favorite is Tanzania Peaberry. The beans are very small but generally have exceptional flavor.

apologies for having not read the entire thread...is anyone roasting their own beans? Where do you get 'green' beans? What typesof roasters do you use. I have heard a lot of people recommend a simple air popcorn popper as a basic start for a roasting device.

I will roast out of doors, I have heard the smoky odor and 'husk' or bean coating is a real mess.

Your thoughts....

Jan 16, 2010
Visit site
Green Beans

Try sweetmarias.com. They are in Oakland, CA. I have been buying beans from them for several years. Great info for the home roaster.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Roast your own

Here's another vote for sweetmarias.com for green beans and roasting supplies. Fresh roasted makes a very big difference.

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
Fresh Roasted 100% Kona!

Aloha!

Personal fav is 100% Kona Coffee! Again agree...coffee does get old so the fresher the better. I happen to own a small roasting company here in Southern CA. Email me if interested in a sample :) Have to say it has been the best thing to start the day for those early morning rides!! www.KonaEssence.com
or email at dream@konaessence.com
Cheers.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
ravens said:
apologies for having not read the entire thread...is anyone roasting their own beans? Where do you get 'green' beans? What typesof roasters do you use. I have heard a lot of people recommend a simple air popcorn popper as a basic start for a roasting device.

I will roast out of doors, I have heard the smoky odor and 'husk' or bean coating is a real mess.

Your thoughts....

I use the Behmor drum roaster from sweetmarias.com and have been happy with it. The roaster filters most of the smoke and I vent the rest. I use a salad spinner to separate any chafe that the roaster doesn't filter itself.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bwade913/3796648446/in/set-72157621841805165/

ravens

BANNED
Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
oldxer said:
I use the Behmor drum roaster from sweetmarias.com and have been happy with it. The roaster filters most of the smoke and I vent the rest. I use a salad spinner to separate any chafe that the roaster doesn't filter itself.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bwade913/3796648446/in/set-72157621841805165/

Thanks for the info, at this point, since I am not really committed to home roasting, I think I will get my wife an induction cook-top for her birthday (seriously, she won't mind) and along with a cast iron pan get a few pounds of green beans and try it out OUTSIDE. That way, if it's just a passing fancy, we get a neat induction cook-top out of the deal which I know I will use a lot.

What type of beans do you recommend for beginners? Do you get them at sweetmarias? There was a site that had some cheap beans (like 4.50/#), i think it was like coffebeancorral or something.

How many batches did it take to get a good quality batch? Thanks for the tip on the salad spinner.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Illy

I keep getting some of this or that beans but I keep going back to Illy. A can lasts 2 weeks and although I have other coffees as good I can get Illy in most cities. I prefer italian roasts and Lavazza is good too,

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
coffee beans

I was just searching for the same info.
I have a jar of green coffee extract capsules that I was wondering if I should start taking BUT I just quit coffee (because of the sugar, milk etc) and was wondering if it would do any good or just keep me hooked on caffeine.

TRENDING THREADS