• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Cofidis train - Must be stopped!

Should Cofidis be punished?

• Yes, they should be banned from Pro Tour races.

Votes: 3 20.0%
  • Yes, they should ban the specific riders.

Votes: 3 20.0%
  • Yes, They should fine Cofidis.

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • Yes, They should fine the riders.

Votes: 2 13.3%
  • No, putting lives at risk is Ok, if you don't have the necessary speed and talent to win a race fair

Votes: 6 40.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 13, 2016
Visit site
Are they insane?

I just saw another video of the Cofidis "train" being involved in another scuffle, today, on CN's main page. During the year, I saw countless situations where they aggressively tried to gain positions, by going shoulder to shoulder with pre-formed trains and head-butting, leaning their way through, putting everybody at risk.

A great example of this were their stage win 1 at Dauphiné, with Nacer's shadow boxing celebration. I remember one or 2 of his leadout men leaning and headbutting Katusha riders:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQXUs6810YI

If you don't have 2 min, see after the 1:10 mark. It's insane how these guys are allowed to compete at all. The best thing about this years TDF, safety wise, was Nacer and Cofidis not be involved in sprints. Imagine a frustrated Cav, Kittel, Greipel and Sagan, having to deal with these excuses of cyclists with the protection of the french/ASO.

It's disgusting, frankly.

MacBAir said:
Are they insane?

I just saw another video of the Cofidis "train" being involved in another scuffle, today, on CN's main page. During the year, I saw countless situations where they aggressively tried to gain positions, by going shoulder to shoulder with pre-formed trains and head-butting, leaning their way through, putting everybody at risk.

A great example of this were their stage win 1 at Dauphiné, with Nacer's shadow boxing celebration. I remember one or 2 of his leadout men leaning and headbutting Katusha riders:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQXUs6810YI

If you don't have 2 min, see after the 1:10 mark. It's insane how these guys are allowed to compete at all. The best thing about this years TDF, safety wise, was Nacer and Cofidis not be involved in sprints. Imagine a frustrated Cav, Kittel, Greipel and Sagan, having to deal with these excuses of cyclists with the protection of the french/ASO.

It's disgusting, frankly.

That escalated quickly. Look at the last decisions in Paris-Nice and Hamburg about Bouhanni and try again your conspiracy theory..
Although he is a real danger and often behaves like an idiot, sprinting has always been pretty chaotic. Riders need to fight for top places and Cofidis did not invent that. But still I just don't get his career in cycling, he is constantly ruining year after year despite having some talent. He can't really handle a bike and can't keep his cool. Not great for a pro athlete I reckon.

They're the bad boys of cycling - all good for selling cycling to the masses - no such thing as bad publicity. (Apart from Lance maybe ... :) Did n't the Raiders have a bad boy reputation and the Wimbledon soccer team were the Crazy Gang - see famous Vinnie Jones & Paul Gascoigne photo for their "hands on approach" !)

Re:

Robert5091 said:
They're the bad boys of cycling - all good for selling cycling to the masses - no such thing as bad publicity. (Apart from Lance maybe ... :) Did n't the Raiders have a bad boy reputation and the Wimbledon soccer team were the Crazy Gang - see famous Vinnie Jones & Paul Gascoigne photo for their "hands on approach" !)

Excatly, in the current ultra-conventional cycling world, I just love their attitude. Take no prisoners! The rider that has enough balls to cross the finish line first takes it. Period.

His belligerent attitude has rubbed the other French teams up the wrong way. He has been targetted and taken out of races utterly disgracefully on a number of occasions. Probably the worst that was obvious to the cameras was Anthony Roux deliberately taking him out to stop him becoming French champion

The professional peloton has always had an unwritten code of internal discipline, but such a system can quickly descend into mob violence which it has here. "Get Bouhanni" has become a dangerous and infantile game. I believe FDJ are leading it and their actions are encouraging others to act in a dangerous way.

Tough action, behind the scenes if necessary, needs to be taken. But it won't. There is little precedent in cycling.

Jun 13, 2016
Visit site
Re: Re:

TommyGun said:
Robert5091 said:

Excatly, in the current ultra-conventional cycling world, I just love their attitude. Take no prisoners! The rider that has enough balls to cross the finish line first takes it. Period.
When someone has his skull carved in after a cofidis move... Maybe you will have a more mature opinion.

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
Is there a way to simply report the whole thread ? How stupid is it really ? If Bouhanni does something wrong he gets punished (DNQ in Paris Nice and Hamburg), that's how it works.. Let's not talk about banning in these circumstances. Not only is it absurd and ridiculous in absolute, but if you compare with clinic related offenses that get no team banned and are FAR MORE DAMAGING to this sport, this thread becomes an insult to intelligence.

Sorry mate but this is pure insanity.

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
Re:

StryderHells said:
Well that poll is pretty loaded to one side of the discussion isn't it?

There is no side to be had. Teams compete and if riders do something wrong they get DNQed, talking banning for a team in this case just doesn't make an inkling of sense. EDIT : an add to it the jab about protection from ASO and the french and it just verges on conspiration theory.

Sorry but it's just ridiculous

Re: Re:

veji11 said:
StryderHells said:
Well that poll is pretty loaded to one side of the discussion isn't it?

There is no side to be had. Teams compete and if riders do something wrong they get DNQed, talking banning for a team in this case just doesn't make an inkling of sense. EDIT : an add to it the jab about protection from ASO and the french and it just verges on conspiration theory.

Sorry but it's just ridiculous

I totally agree

I'm all for riders showing flair and having presence in the sprints but Bouhanni takes things too far. He's genuinely dangerous and doesn't have the slightest care. Just one of many examples was his near wipeout of Matthews at Paris-Nice. Had he leaned over a few centimetres further Matthews was going under the barrier.

He's making Cav look safe.

Jun 13, 2016
Visit site
Re:

42x16ss said:
I'm all for riders showing flair and having presence in the sprints but Bouhanni takes things too far. He's genuinely dangerous and doesn't have the slightest care. Just one of many examples was his near wipeout of Matthews at Paris-Nice. Had he leaned over a few centimetres further Matthews was going under the barrier.

He's making Cav look safe.
Exactly!

It's as if these people complaining about the thread didn't watch cycling during the year or even that video that I linked on the original post.

Bouhanni and cofidis are dangerous, irresponsible and should be heavily penalized.

Is Hamburg organized by ASO? Just a question. I wouldn't be surprised if it isn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS