• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Col du Galibier and doping

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
I looked at the statistics over the riders who have been the leader at the summit (it hasn't been the finish line every time) on Col du Galibier since 2000 and I found something interesting. Here's the list:

2008: Stefan Schumacher (CERA in 2008)
2007: Mauricio Soler (For some reasons ASO pulled their disclosure back - but he did deliver a positive doping test in 2007)
2006: Michael Rasmussen (served a two-year ban in 2007)
2005: Alexandre Vinokourov (blood doping in 2007)
2003: Stefano Garzelli (two-year doping ban in 2002)
2002: Santiago Botero (Operación Puerto and was taken out of TDF in 2006 because of that)
2000: Pascal Hervé (EPO in 2001)

1999: José-Luis Arrieta
1998: Marco Pantani (Mr. 60%)
1993: Tony Rominger (accused of doping by David Millar)

You probably already know where I am going. But the previous 7 riders who have finished first on Galibier have been doped riders. I don't know if this is only a coincidence - but it shows very clearly that is almost impossible to be clean and win the 18. stage at the same time. What do you guys think of this.. Is is possible to finish first on Galibier without being doped?

Colette said:
I looked at the statistics over the riders who have been the leader at the summit (it hasn't been the finish line every time) on Col du Galibier since 2000 and I found something interesting. Here's the list:

2007: Mauricio Soler (For some reasons ASO pulled their disclosure back - but he did deliver a positive doping test in 2007)
2002: Santiago Botero (Operación Puerto and was taken out of TDF in 2006 because of that)

You probably already know where I am going. But the previous 7 riders who have finished first on Galibier have been doped riders. I don't know if this is only a coincidence - but it shows very clearly that is almost impossible to be clean and win the 18. stage at the same time. What do you guys think of this.. Is is possible to finish first on Galibier without being doped?

The Galibier has never tested positive.

May 18, 2009
Visit site
Colette said:

The Galilbier has never been a finishing climb. Who tops it first, and ends up being shown to be a doper, is coincidence.

I didn't know David Millar's opinion was the same as an AAF.

I'm too lazy to look this up but how did Garzelli cross first in 2003 if he started serving a 2 year ban in 2002?

Granville57 said:
That. Is. Classic.

Keep him in the dark, and keep him chilled (literally). It's for the best. ;)

It's true - what he doesn't know can't make him stressed/nervous, etc. Just keep riding TD.

I will be the first to admit - I really thought TD would be overwhelmed with his first tour and either not make it or be completely unseen. I was wrong.

AeroAdvantage

BANNED
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Race Radio said:

Some one should send him a copy of this........

51HhneDuS0L._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Just kidding Tommy

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Colette said:

This has to be supposed to be a coincidence. In any case, if one supposes, as many here do, that all riders competitive in the grand tours are dopers, no different result could be expected.

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
Exactly. For unknown reasons ASO pulled this disclosure back (blackmailing perhaps), but there is no doubt about the fact that Soler was tested positive on stage 14 in 2007.

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
I don't suppose you actually have any evidence for this claim? I remember there were rumours at the time after some journalists mistook an AG2R team car outside Barloworld's hotel for a police car, and leapt to the conclusion that the hotel was being searched by police.

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
Duartista said:
I don't suppose you actually have any evidence for this claim? I remember there were rumours at the time after some journalists mistook an AG2R team car outside Barloworld's hotel for a police car, and leapt to the conclusion that the hotel was being searched by police.

ASO announced that they on a press conference would reveal that one of jersey winners was tested positive on stage 14.. Later the same day they told the press that it was a "misunderstanding". But you are right about the fact that I need an evidence.. :)

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
Colette said:
ASO announced that they on a press conference would reveal that one of jersey winners was tested positive on stage 14.. Later the same day they told the press that it was a "misunderstanding". But you are right about the fact that I need an evidence.. :)
No, they didn't. There were rumours that Soler had tested positive, and ASO held a press conference at which they announced that they had consulted the UCI and been informed that this was untrue.

In any case, Soler was not a jersey holder on stage 14.

The 2007 Tour de France was ripe with a new rumour starting Friday afternoon and running late into the evening that there could be another rider announced positive for a doping control. The rider was rumoured to be stage nine winner and mountains classification leader Mauricio Soler of Barloworld, however, Tour Director Christian Prudhomme clarified that there was no reported case of doping.

"We spoke with the commissionaire of the UCI and they said there was no case," Prudhomme said in a press conference Saturday morning in Cognac.

One Belgian website had reported that the Colombian had already tested positive, and Prudhomme was concerned about the speculation that took place the day before, and reminded the gathered press to base its work on facts. "Please be careful. Pay attention to the real facts."

The speculation was further fuelled by reports of police cars at the Barloworld hotel on Friday night. "Some journalist saw an Ag2r Prévoyance team car and thought it was a police car," confirmed Prudhomme. "There was not any police at the hotel."

http://autobus.cyclingnews.com/road/2007/tour07/news/?id=/news/2007/jul07/jul29news

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
No he wasn't in the jersey on stage 14, but the rumour said that one of the jersey winners (in Paris) was tested positive on stage 14.

Contador - Boonen - Soler

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
So what's the point of this thread? Is it that the winners of the Galibier stage are all doped or that somehow the OP knows that Soler doped?

Well the Soler doped went from knowing to a rumour.

What is it?

TRENDING THREADS