• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

College Football

Page 10 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Nomad said:
BAMA GOES DOWN!!!

Auburn stuck it to Bama 26 - 14! The Tigers are on fire beating two #1's in the last three weeks! And with Miami's loss to Pitt this is sure to flip the CFP upside down. One thing is certain: hello Auburn & Wisconsin (who destroyed Minn earlier today) to the top 4, and both control their destination here on out with conference title games.

And who was feeling sorry for Wisconsin that they being shafted for their undefeated record?
This is so AWESOME! (Hope the kids/fans behave themselves and don't burn the campus down, there will be a whole lotta celebrating going on in Auburn tonight.)

I'm watching the Civil War next, it'll be such a snooze-fest compared to the Iron Bowl. Ducks by at least 20.

As soon as the Apple Cup starts I'll be switching to it, the Cougs have everything to gain so it should hopefully be a nail biter of a game. Have no idea who will win, it's too close to call.

Nomad said:
BAMA GOES DOWN!!!

Auburn stuck it to Bama 26 - 14! The Tigers are on fire beating two #1's in the last three weeks! And with Miami's loss to Pitt this is sure to flip the CFP upside down. One thing is certain: hello Auburn & Wisconsin (who destroyed Minn earlier today) to the top 4, and both control their destination here on out with conference title games.

And who was feeling sorry for Wisconsin that they being shafted for their undefeated record?
That would be me! :D I wasn't feeling sorry for them though, I was complaining about the CFP.

Big weekend with two top four teams going down! 'Bama might not fall out of the top four.
1- Badgers
2- Tigers (IF they win)
3- Sooners
4- Tide

IF Clem loses the 'Canes might still be in the top four.

I do however know that WHEN you lose makes a difference (as I've said, that is stupid).

jmdirt said:
Big weekend with two top four teams going down! 'Bama might not fall out of the top four.
1- Badgers
2- Tigers (IF they win)
3- Sooners
4- Tide

There are actually two Tiger teams at play here, Auburn and Clemson. So Bama is likely out unless either Clemson loses to SC today or Oklahoma or Wisconsin loses the championship game. If Clemson wins today, they play Miami in the conference championship, and since both of these teams will have a single loss, the winner is virtually guaranteed a BCS spot. Almost the same with Auburn vs. Georgia; though Auburn has two losses, if they beat Georgia, two wins over that team plus the win over Bama would make it very hard to exclude them. The other two spots will go to Oklahoma (very likely) and Wisconsin (for sure) if they win their championship games. But my money is on the Badgers falling to Ohio State. That will open the door to Bama, and if Oklahoma loses, too, OSU could get in as well.

In other college football news, Chip Kelly is the new UCLA HC. It will be interesting to see if he can turn that team into what he did for Oregon. A lot of observers think he failed in the NFL in large part because the rules wouldn't allow him to implement his high-speed offense completely. It didn't help that he made some very poor personnel moves at Philly, and was never really given a chance in SF.

On the other hand, past success at the college level is not a guarantee of future success upon return. Just look at poor Jim Harbaugh, whose Wolverines have lost four conference games this year, including to arch-rival OSU for the third time in a row. His job could actually be in jeopardy if he doesn't turn it around next year. I'm wondering that if he should fail to deliver big at Michigan, would he still be attractive as a HC in the NFL.

OT, wrong thread, but can't resist: Bama's basketball team had to play the final 10+ minutes of a game vs. Minnesota with only three players on the floor. Their entire bench was ejected during a brawl, and they lost two starters to fouls or injuries. Talk about a power play advantage! And Bama still made it very close. How can you not pull away from another team when you have a 5-3 advantage?

jmdirt said:
... I was complaining about the CFP.
The 13-person CFP committee will have some dilemmas on their hands this year, there is no way they can make everyone happy. Interestingly enough the playoffs aren't even sanctioned by the NCAA, how does this even work? I'm so confused...

In other news - crikes, the Ducks are up by 38 already, and it's only the 2nd quarter. At this rate they'll be bringing their 3rd stringers in by halftime. Poor Beavs. :((I can hear the noise from Autzen stadium all the way over here at my house, btw.)

Merckx index said:
In other college football news, Chip Kelly is the new UCLA HC. It will be interesting to see if he can turn that team into what he did for Oregon. A lot of observers think he failed in the NFL in large part because the rules wouldn't allow him to implement his high-speed offense completely. It didn't help that he made some very poor personnel moves at Philly, and was never really given a chance in SF.
I think this works in college football, not so much in the NFL, though. But even in college football Chip wasn't able to win the National Championship, high speed offense usually always got beat by the physically huge guys who are superb at playing defense.

You can correct me anytime you like, btw., I'd like to think I can talk out of my arse and Monday morning quarterback with the best of them. :D

Merckx index said:
jmdirt said:
1- Badgers
2- Tigers (IF they win)
3- Sooners
4- Tide

There are actually two Tiger teams at play here, Auburn and Clemson. So Bama is likely out unless either Clemson loses to SC today or Oklahoma or Wisconsin loses the championship game. If Clemson wins today, they play Miami in the conference championship, and since both of these teams will have a single loss, the winner is virtually guaranteed a BCS spot. Almost the same with Auburn vs. Georgia; though Auburn has two losses, if they beat Georgia, two wins over that team plus the win over Bama would make it very hard to exclude them. The other two spots will go to Oklahoma (very likely) and Wisconsin (for sure) if they win their championship games. But my money is on the Badgers falling to Ohio State. That will open the door to Bama, and if Oklahoma loses, too, OSU could get in as well.

On the other hand, past success at the college level is not a guarantee of future success upon return. Just look at poor Jim Harbaugh, whose Wolverines have lost four conference games this year, including to arch-rival OSU for the third time in a row. His job could actually be in jeopardy if he doesn't turn it around next year. I'm wondering that if he should fail to deliver big at Michigan, would he still be attractive as a HC in the NFL.

OT, wrong thread, but can't resist: Bama's basketball team had to play the final 10+ minutes of a game vs. Minnesota with only three players on the floor. Their entire bench was ejected during a brawl, and they lost two starters to fouls or injuries. Talk about a power play advantage! And Bama still made it very close. How can you not pull away from another team when you have a 5-3 advantage?

I think Chip will do well with UCLA once he builds the team up. Forget his year at the 49ers, that franchise was already in disarray and you can't perform miracles in 16 games. The main problem was the GM who is now gone thankfully.

jmdirt said:
Nomad said:
BAMA GOES DOWN!!!

That would be me! :D I wasn't feeling sorry for them though, I was complaining about the CFP.

1- Badgers
2- Tigers (IF they win)
3- Sooners
4- Tide

IF Clem loses the 'Canes might still be in the top four.

I do however know that WHEN you lose makes a difference (as I've said, that is stupid).
No need for anyone to feel sorry for them as they control their own destination, and may have the edge over Ohio St. if JT Barrett is going to be out with that knee injury. On your picks; if the committee only drops Bama to #4 isn't that essentially turning the SEC championship game into a meaningless New Year's 6 bowl game berth? If Oklahoma, Clemson & Wisconsin all win out, what happens to the either Auburn or Georgia? IMO, I see Bama at #5 with the first one in position if either Oklahoma or Wisconsin loses. Here's my picks for Tues. (I initially liked Auburn at #1, for defeating two #1's in the last 3 weeks, but realized that they had lost to Clemson earlier in the year).

Clemson
Auburn
Oklahoma
Wisconsin
Alabama
Georgia

Nomad said:
jmdirt said:
Nomad said:
BAMA GOES DOWN!!!

1- Badgers
2- Tigers (IF they win) EDIT: they did.
3- Sooners
4- Tide

IF Clem loses the 'Canes might still be in the top four. EDIT they won.

No need for anyone to feel sorry for them as they control their own destination, and may have the edge over Ohio St. if JT Barrett is going to be out with that knee injury. On your picks; if the committee only drops Bama to #4 isn't that essentially turning the SEC championship game into a meaningless New Year's 6 bowl game berth? If Oklahoma, Clemson & Wisconsin all win out, what happens to the either Auburn or Georgia? IMO, I see Bama at #5 with the first one in position if either Oklahoma or Wisconsin loses. Here's my picks for Tues. (I initially liked Auburn at #1, for defeating two #1's in the last 3 weeks, but realized that they had lost to Clemson earlier in the year).

Clemson
Auburn
Oklahoma
Wisconsin
Alabama
Georgia
Respectfully, how can a two loss team be ranked #2 (especially over a 0 loss team)? You, like the committee, place too much emphasis on recent wins and loses. How is Alabama's loss any worse than Oklahoma's? As we've all said though, let's see how it looks when they're done playing. The other Q is how far up the rankings will UCF move?

jmdirt said:
Nomad said:
jmdirt said:
Nomad said:
BAMA GOES DOWN!!!

1- Badgers
2- Tigers (IF they win) EDIT: they did.
3- Sooners
4- Tide

IF Clem loses the 'Canes might still be in the top four. EDIT they won.

Clemson
Auburn
Oklahoma
Wisconsin
Alabama
Georgia
Respectfully, how can a two loss team be ranked #2 (especially over a 0 loss team)? You, like the committee, place too much emphasis on recent wins and loses. How is Alabama's loss any worse than Oklahoma's? As we've all said though, let's see how it looks when they're done playing. The other Q is how far up the rankings will UCF move?
Easily...when you defeat two #1's in a span of 3 weeks, and remember Auburn hammered Georgia 40-17 in the first one. Auburn's 2 losses are to LSU and a close one to Clemson earlier in the year. Wisconsin just hasn't played anybody and I realize part of that is the Big 10 West that is weak this year. But hey - Wisconsin just needs to win and they're in like flint, and could be put in the Rose Bowl after all (the Rose & Sugar Bowls are the host sites for the CFP this year).

Bama's loss is far better than Oklahoma's. However, If you compare the Sooner's resume to Bama's it's not even close. Granted Oklahoma has that bad loss to Iowa St., but they have wins against 3 top 10 teams; Ohio St, Oklahoma St & TCU. Bama has the one loss to Auburn but only two wins against a ranked opponent, but both outside the top 10 (#14 LSU & #19 Miss St). And don't forget they struggled against "Mercer" 56-0. Lol.

If all the top 4 win out then it's a done deal and the committee can sign off on it and go home early (this would be the doomsday scenario for Bama though). The winners of the SEC & ACC are locks. If TCU pulls off the upset over Oklahoma then Bama will move up one spot to #4 and get an at-large birth. If Oklahoma wins but Wisconsin loses, now starts the controversy and the committee better have lots of coffee for a late nighter. The problem being is a 1-loss Bama better than a 2-loss & Big 10 champion OSU? OSU beat #2 Penn St and #17 Michigan St during the year, but has a bad loss against Oklahoma and a very bad loss to Iowa where they got beat by 31 pts. Bama has just the one loss to #6 Aubrun at the time, but really hasn't played anyone other than their season opener against Florida St, which was ranked #3 on the preseason polls. My money is on OSU, especially if they have a dominant game over Wisconsin. But all this speculation can be avoided if the best 4 teams just win out and everyone (except Bama Nation) is happy.

Very well said, Nomad. The four conference championships—ACC, SEC, Big 10 and Big 12—are de facto national quarterfinals (who says the CFP needs to be expanded to eight teams, it actually has been this year), with the winners of each very likely moving on to the BCS semifinals. I agree with everything in your post except when you say if Wisconsin wins “they’re in like flint”. No town in the state of Michigan is going to the CFP party this year.

Seriously, assuming Oklahoma beats TCU, Bama fans are going to have a very tough time watching the Big 10 championship. If favored OSU (and why are they ranked lower than Wisconsin if they’re favored?) trails, that’s bad news, because a Wisconsin win eliminates the Tide. But if OSU opens up a big lead, that’s bad news, too, because a big win by OSU will probably be enough to sway the Committee. The best scenario for Bama fans would be if OSU won in overtime, but that would be the most nerve-wracking type of game for a Bama fan to watch, one where their team’s fate isn’t decided until the very last play.

Another possible scenario is if both Oklahoma and Wisconsin lose. If and when Oklahoma loses, Alabama, as you said, should get in. But what happens if OSU narrowly beats Wisconsin? Will they get in, or will TCU, also a 2-loss conference champion at that point, have a shot? The Froggies to now have beaten only one ranked (as of now) team, OK State, but other than a loss to Oklahoma, which they share with OSU, they lost a close game to Iowa State, which had previously also upset Oklahoma and was ranked at the time. Whereas OSU was humiliated by Iowa. All else being equal, OSU would seem to be favored, but the actual scores of those conference championships might matter.

Any burning opinions on Alabama being chosen over Ohio State in the playoffs?

I would actually prefer for those two teams to play each other and then call it a day. As things stand I don't have a horse in the race when it comes to the playoffs... maybe Georgia?

Meh, I don't really care who wins the national title, I think the whole playoff system is stupid and doesn't establish much of anything. But such is the game of college football - with so many teams and so few games I think it's ridiculous to try to determine who is the best team in the nation.

Re:

Tricycle Rider said:

I would actually prefer for those two teams to play each other and then call it a day. As things stand I don't have a horse in the race when it comes to the playoffs... maybe Georgia?

Meh, I don't really care who wins the national title, I think the whole playoff system is stupid and doesn't establish much of anything. But such is the game of college football - with so many teams and so few games I think it's ridiculous to try to determine who is the best team in the nation.
I think Alabama was deserving of the playoff spot, as much as I hate to admit it. They had a better record against some quality opponents. OSU's loss to Iowa state was embarrassing for a playoff team, the CFP committee made the right choice.

Re:

Catwhoorg said:
Playoffs need to be 8 teams
5 conference champs, then three further chosen by the committee.

Would solve a whole lot of issues with the current format.

Well, suppose we had that format this year. It would look like this, beginning with the conference winners:

Clemson
Georgia
Oklahoma
Ohio State
USC

Who would be the three at-large teams? Bama for sure, but who else? The losers of the conference championships were Miami, Auburn, TCU, Wisconsin, and Stanford. Wisconsin, with only one loss, would probably be next. Who gets the last spot? Miami finished with the fewest losses, two, but Auburn had those wins over Georgia and Bama.

Then there are the teams other than Alabama that didn’t make the conference championship that have a strong case. What about Penn State, which also lost just two games, to OSU and another ranked team, Michigan State, by a grand total of four points? How can you not take them? What about Washington, another two loss team, with both losses by a single score? And at this point, don’t you also have to consider UCF, which was undefeated?

It seems to me that you have at the least five teams with very strong arguments—Miami, Auburn, Penn State, Washington, and UCF—chasing that final spot. By the final BCS rankings, the three at-large teams would be Alabama and Wisconsin, followed by Auburn, but if I were a fan of any of those other four schools, I’d be upset if not outraged that a three loss team got in ahead of mine (for that matter, even Wisconsin is debatable; if PSU had played in the Big 10 championship, they would have been favored over the Badgers). Compared to the four team playoff, which this year left only one school complaining, and really, not all that much.

Moral of the story: No matter how much you expand a playoff, teams that don’t get in are going to complain. The only advantage of expansion is that eventually you get to the point where you can argue that even if a team was unfairly excluded, it almost certainly wasn’t going to win it all, anyway. Whether you could say that with strong certainty with an 8-team playoff is debatable. And of course, as Dan mentions, the extra game is a problem. They would probably have to reduce the length of the regular season schedule to allow for that.

Re: Re:

Irondan said:
Tricycle Rider said:

I think Alabama was deserving of the playoff spot, as much as I hate to admit it. They had a better record against some quality opponents. OSU's loss to Iowa state was embarrassing for a playoff team, the CFP committee made the right choice.
I was actually quite surprised that Alabama was selected. And the two ESPN college football pundits, Galloway & Palmer, had Ohio St. hands down in the 4th spot. I guess though if Bama goes on to win the national championship the committee will look like geniuses or fortune tellers.

The two things I learned from this is 1) conference championships don't mean as much as the committee says they do and 2) don't have a bad loss on your resume. And for the second straight year the Big-10 champion gets snubbed.

The focus seemed to be on OSU's two losses with the very bad loss to Iowa though they beat #2 Penn St., #17 Michigan St and #4 Wisconsin in the championship game. OTOH, Bama had the one loss to a very good Auburn team but only beat two ranked opponents with both outside the top 10 (#14 LSU & #19 Miss St). And Bama's non-conference schedule was not impressive with the likes of Fresno St., Colorado St. & Mercer. One must wonder if OSU had scheduled a team like "Mercer" instead of Oklahoma if a one loss Big-10 champion would have made a difference

We'll know in about a month if Bama was the right choice and if they go on to win the national title, then I guess the committee is something special.

Irondan said:
Catwhoorg said:
Playoffs need to be 8 teams
5 conference champs, then three further chosen by the committee.

Would solve a whole lot of issues with the current format.
And then play three extra games at the end of the season? I don't know how that would work...

Quarter finals around Dec 15/16th
Semis Jan 1st
Final Jan 8th

Yes there will always be arguments about people on the edge who gets in and who doesn't, but 5 spots for conference champions makes those meaningful again.

(then this year I would have gone 'Bama, Wisconsin and Auburn, but then again I live in the heart of SEC country so am more familiar with what Auburn did this year than Penn State or Miami so maybe some regional bias)

Nomad said:
Irondan said:
Tricycle Rider said:

I was actually quite surprised that Alabama was selected. And the two ESPN college football pundits, Galloway & Palmer, had Ohio St. hands down in the 4th spot. I guess though if Bama goes on to win the national championship the committee will look like geniuses or fortune tellers.

The two things I learned from this is 1) conference championships don't mean as much as the committee says they do and 2) don't have a bad loss on your resume. And for the second straight year the Big-10 champion gets snubbed.

The focus seemed to be on OSU's two losses with the very bad loss to Iowa though they beat #2 Penn St., #17 Michigan St and #4 Wisconsin in the championship game. OTOH, Bama had the one loss to a very good Auburn team but only beat two ranked opponents with both outside the top 10 (#14 LSU & #19 Miss St). And Bama's non-conference schedule was not impressive with the likes of Fresno St., Colorado St. & Mercer. One must wonder if OSU had scheduled a team like "Mercer" instead of Oklahoma if a one loss Big-10 champion would have made a difference

We'll know in about a month if Bama was the right choice and if they go on to win the national title, then I guess the committee is something special.
As I've stated (too :) many times, IMO the number one criteria is overall record. Zero loss teams should be in, then one loss teams. As long as there are four zero or one loss teams a two loss team should not get in. Conference championship should only be a tie breaker between teams with the same record. I've also asserted that Div. I is Div. 1. If they aren't on equal footing then the NCAA needs to make a distinction (not the "committee"), and/or establish scheduling requirements.

Obviously I recognize that the AAC isn't nearly as tough as the SEC, but they are both Div.1 (the AFC West is still NFL). When BSU was in their glory years earlier in this century, they showed that a good team can win against anyone (at least for one game)...good is good.

As a Wisconsin alumnus, there is no way that the Badgers should be anywhere near the playoff this year. Their best victory was over Northwestern and their road victories were over BYU (4-9), Nebraska (4-8), Illinois (2-10), Indiana (5-7), and Minnesota (5-7). Obviously the CFP is not perfect, but I like the 4-team system with the conference games as de facto play-in games. If there were an 8 team playoff, it should be the 5 conference winners, UCF, Penn St, and Auburn. Allowing a team like Wisconsin in under that format would reward teams that play easy schedules.

Willie Taggart to the Seminoles - no real surprise there. I mean, why stick around in Eugene? It certainly wouldn't be for the weather and the ample selection of Nike uniforms. Ha!

Have to feel a bit bad for the kids though, some of them moved here because of Taggart, and a couple of potential Oregon recruits have de-comitted already upon hearing the news that Taggart is going to Florida.

Don't really know much about the interim head coach, but it leaves the Ducks in a bit of a pickle in the upcoming Vegas Bowl. Such is college football, though, but personally I can't blame Taggart too much. I probably would have followed my dream job as well

TRENDING THREADS