• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

College Football

Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
Do you have to be alumni or student to be a fan of a particular team?

Where did you go and/or who's your team?

UCI here but no team. Grew up in west LA so my team is the Bruins (Keeping it UC anyway).

Between the kids and family its Montana Grizzlies, Colorado State Rams and Michigan State

During a Skype conversation there was this painted on the wall behind the post game party this weekend

Mountain Bikers 22 Roadies 17. F@(# Boulder

classic

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Went to Syr, but will always be a Rutgers fan. Still praying they make it out of the Big East sometime in the near future before all their success under the Schiano era goes to zilch because of weak/irrelevant conference scheduling

On3m@n- Who's PLU :confused:

nvpacchi said:
Went to Syr, but will always be a Rutgers fan. Still praying they make it out of the Big East sometime in the near future before all their success under the Schiano era goes to zilch because of weak/irrelevant conference scheduling

On3m@n- Who's PLU :confused:

o7m637cbsg6jtrrq.jpg

... a small D-III school in Tacoma, WA

Alpe d'Huez said:
Went to WSU, and yet your avatar is a Husky?! :confused:

For those who don't know as Alpe does, WSU (cougars) and UW (huskies) are cross-state rivals. Typically, Cougs don't like the Dawgs and vice versa. Grew up in Tacoma, so the Dawgs were my first love, which I lost when I went to WSU. But I don't hate the Dawgs, and can't even say I dislike them. It's just more in fun teasing Dawg friends. Lately I've borne the brunt of the teasing. But I like the Husky avatar cos it has that "doh" look, and I won't bore you with the rest. Just for a short time here's my cat avatar. It's not as good as BroDeal's though.

Jul 7, 2009
Visit site
Boeing said:
Do you have to be alumni or student to be a fan of a particular team?

Where did you go and/or who's your team?

UCI here but no team. Grew up in west LA so my team is the Bruins (Keeping it UC anyway).

classic

I lived in Florida from Kindergarten through 4th grade and just ended up liking the Florida State Seminoles. Moved all over the world and liked many teams, but the one team that I call my favorite is the 'Noles. Gonna hand out some toahawk chops this year!!!! At the moment, I'm mixing work with school at Embry Riddle Aeronautical University. (No sports lol):D

A

Anonymous

I'm a homer.

Go Trojans.

I think Barkley and Co might run the table this year. If they get bt Stanford:D

Cute pooch. Good game. But a typical Halli-day with the INTs at wrong time. Props to UW OL and Bishop Sankey. I've known Bishop for years and saw him play in HS. He's tougher than he looks and is hard to bring down one-on-one. If defenders do get him one-on-one in the open they best hang on for dear life and wait for friends. And defenses can't give him running lanes or let him have the corner or he is gone. Something WSU did not do well in second half.

on3m@n@rmy said:
Cute pooch. Good game. But a typical Halli-day with the INTs at wrong time. Props to UW OL and Bishop Sankey. I've known Bishop for years and saw him play in HS. He's tougher than he looks and is hard to bring down one-on-one. If defenders do get him one-on-one in the open they best hang on for dear life and wait for friends. And defenses can't give him running lanes or let him have the corner or he is gone. Something WSU did not do well in second half.
I only half-heartedly followed the score, when it was 20-17 in the fourth quarter I thought we were gonna lose.

Anyhoo, you'll get us next year in Pullman. While the Huskies are still a well funded football program we haven't been the same (Rose Bowl material) since we got deservedly sanctioned all those years ago. It wasn't too long ago that we had lost 15 games in a row, I thought that was funny.

Some big games today, reason why I think the Bama - Auburn game will be wicked is because after having watched the "Roll Tide/War Eagle" documentary I learned those two teams hate each other to the point of idiocy. I expect Bama to win, but it won't be pretty.

Looking at the Pac-12, they have a total of 6 out of conference losses, and that includes Utah, Colorado and Cal. If I calculated right, the likely bowl eligible teams are 23-2 outside the Pac-12.

Sticking with the west coast and Pac-12 for a moment. Despite being a Ducks fan for the most part, after reading about them, I'm not surprised and somewhat glad they lost to Arizona State. Word was that the Sun Devils were prepared, and focused, while the Ducks were so cocky they had the attitude that the Rose Bowl was meaningless, it was national championship or nothing. Well, they got nothing. As you guys probably know there is a large financial split between BCS bowl games, and the other bowl games. This means much less money for the college. I'm hoping the Ducks lose the Civil War to Oregon State this year. At Autzen, that would really put a stamp on it. I also much prefer the program Mike Riley runs, over what's gone on at Oregon. I still like the Ducks, but there comes a time...

I still can't see Alabama losing. I really can't. Auburn and Missouri are both good, but Auburn is so good across the entire board, and probably the best coached team in the NCAA.

This entire Jameis Winston thing is a mess. What are your guys thoughts on it? I say unless he's charged, they all but have to give him the Heisman, then strip him later if he is convicted. But that doesn't mean the voters will. It looked like Johnny Manzeil had a shot at doubling up, but after a terrible game against LSU, he's out. Mariotta is out. Some are saying AJ McCarron may sneak in. Well, being a nice kid sure is a contrast to Winston, but despite being very good, McCarron isn't Heisman good. He's really not the best player on Alabama, actually (I say CJ Mosley). If he has a monster end to the season Andre Williams could sneak in. I'm surprised that Teddy Bridgewater isn't part of the discussion, but a weak schedule and lack of key wins hurts.

Alpe d'Huez said:
Sticking with the west coast and Pac-12 for a moment. Despite being a Ducks fan for the most part, after reading about them, I'm not surprised and somewhat glad they lost to Arizona State. Word was that the Sun Devils were prepared, and focused, while the Ducks were so cocky they had the attitude that the Rose Bowl was meaningless, it was national championship or nothing. Well, they got nothing. As you guys probably know there is a large financial split between BCS bowl games, and the other bowl games. This means much less money for the college. I'm hoping the Ducks lose the Civil War to Oregon State this year. At Autzen, that would really put a stamp on it. I also much prefer the program Mike Riley runs, over what's gone on at Oregon. I still like the Ducks, but there comes a time...
It's hard to explain, but being I live in Eugene I can safely say there is a sense of entitlement on the Ducks' part. They started printing out t-shirts that said "We Want Bama", yeah well, now they don't even get the Rose Bowl.

Some guy who lives not too far away from me always puts some kind of a home-made, Duck-oriented statue on the back of his flatbed pickup truck, this year he had a bronze Duck shaped like the Heisman trophy. Obviously he though Mariota would win (or was entitled to) the Heisman.

I think the Ducks need to be brought back down to earth, just because uncle Phil (Knight) had built them a state-of-the-art football complex doesn't mean they're entitled to the National Championship.

Alpe d'Huez said:
This entire Jameis Winston thing is a mess. What are your guys thoughts on it?

Some quick polls show Heisman voters may still give Jameis Winston the Heisman. There have not been any charges yet and innocent until proven guilty in a court of law is a valued principle, but the Heisman voting is not a court of law and his DNA was found in the accusing woman's underwear (link). That finding should say enough about his involvement with the accusing woman, and I think character should count when considering someone for the Heisman. Otherwise we would be putting the on-field accomplishments of an athlete above more important standards. I'd rather send a message and make Jameis Winston's off-field actions an example of what should not be tolerated. Plus it is not that big a deal if he does not win the Heisman, since it is just the Heisman and not jail time.

I personally would not vote for him. But I look at teams beyond QB. I'd vote for Mosley if I had a vote. Great player, leader, senior, never been in trouble either. The Heisman voters don't look that way, they focus on flash and stats. Thus why I think they will vote for Winston.

DNA in the underwear only means they had sex, not rape. So that's not damning evidence to me.

Bummer about Oregon beating Oregon State, by a messily 1 pt. Hope the Ducks have fun in the Chick Filet bowl, or Meinike Muffler Bowl, or wherever they end up.

Alpe d'Huez said:
This entire Jameis Winston thing is a mess. What are your guys thoughts on it?
Hm, that's a complicated one. I mean, I think if you idolize elite athletes/celebrities/actors/musicians you're doing it wrong. When away from the camera their lives can be just as messed up as anyone else's.

There's probably money involved, but ultimately, I think the Heisman is just a stupid trophy. If proven guilty (or even not guilty), Jameis Winston's character will always remain in question from now on. And those kind of questions he will not be able to wash off, even if he gets a first-rate NFL contract.

Well Winston is being accused of rape, not sex. But I understand why people would be skeptical with him about to enter the NFL for a lot of money. It's possible it was consentual and she's a gold digger. But Winston would have been smart to realize he could be targeted that way.

Can you believe Michigan nearly upsetting OSU? With 32 seconds left in the game Michigan scores aTD to make it 42-41, and they can tie the score by kicking the PAT to send the game to a likely overtime. But Michigan, unable to stop OSU's offense, elect to go for the 2-point conversion and fail. But Michigan made the correct call IMO. FOXXY would have been proud.

on3m@n@rmy said:
Well Winston is being accused of rape, not sex. But I understand why people would be skeptical with him about to enter the NFL for a lot of money. It's possible it was consentual and she's a gold digger. But Winston would have been smart to realize he could be targeted that way.
Seeing as we are not a jury in the court of law we don't have all/any proof, we're merely in the position to speculate.

All we know is what the media feeds us, consequently, I don't even feel comfortable speculating at this point. That's what I'm trying to say, anyway.

TRENDING THREADS